Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc
By cyrus Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:38 pm
lets start a competition/challenge on making beats using specific records......i.e. like we have to use such and such record/records to make a beat......drums can be free game, but instrumentals you must use "xxx" record.

Questions to establish some rules for this shit......

1. Timeline?

2. How many records?

3. What kind of records? i.e. orchestral, dollar bin, funk, etc.(should we do category beats? like beats using orchestral-pressed from 1975-1978?)

4. whats the best way to choose records we use.....like something we all have, or can easily be found?

5. who decides what records to use....ya know, if i decide, its gonna be what i like to digg for? thats sort of the point of this, that we get more well versed because we have random people picking the records, so we are forced to work withsometing we wouldnt pick ourselves!

Please give me some feed back....

Some given rules:

once we decide on a record, its up to the members to go out and get a copy, then all we have to do is make a beat, and just post that beat.....it is almost easier than your "normal sample challenge", because we dont have to rely on someone posting up samples to use. I think all drums should be up to the member to find, as well as bass....however more credit should be given to those who can get drums from the specific record, or who filter out basslines, etc.(using your resources more)

or we can have like 2 records to use, one for drums, one for instrumentals. This will be fun cause itll force us to find breaks, and then force others to find the same ones, itll broaden our knowledge for good drums, etc.

we can also have a "freak this break" challenge; like we all gotta do a beat using the funky drummer, etc.

Please give me some feed back, once i see a general agreement, i will start a new thread....

peace

By bidi Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:50 pm
i like the idea.

i'd say we should use cheap easily available records, those ones every salvation army has copies of. Like Johnny Mathis Christmas album. or some Glenn Miller. makes it tough, random even if we just kinda choose one without listening, and easy for everyone to enter.

and, like you said, I'd exempt drum and bass sounds, but i'd say all entries or whatever should describe where everything came from and how they made it. that would allow extra credit to go those who got every sample from the record, or pulled off some trick, and allow those who might have made a hot beat but bent or broke some rules to state their case.

and i say make it a monthly thing. record of the month.

i've been playing around with the idea lately of uploading a pgm and sounds for one of my beats, and maybe even the mid files i've made, just to see what other people might do with that set . . .
Last edited by bidi on Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Archetype_J Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:53 pm
bidi wrote:
i've been playing around with the idea lately of uploading a pgm and sounds for one of my beats, and maybe even the mid files i've made, just to see what other people might do with that set . . .

Me and the homies out in CA do that all the time. I'll build a program, and a few sequences, save 'em on a zip and mail the disk out to Cali... then my homies will build off what i started, and we'll just keep sending it back and forth. Sometimes it get's to the point where the disk gets full and we have to call it a day..... that shit is fresh though.

By cyrus Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:01 pm
allright, ill start a new thread, is it all right if i pick the first one? Ill go to good will today, and pick one i know is everywhere........

ill try to draft some guidelines: pretty much how you put it in your thread BIdi!

Ill label the thread "record of the month" and also put a link to this thread, as i know others will put up suggestions:

maybe we can get it a sticky, that way its always on top, and we can allow the whole month for people to freak that record........that we wont miss deadlines or nothing, itll be good for the whole month!

I wont post it until tonight, or tomorrow evening......maybe ill wait until friday, just to see others suggestions, and make shure we get some more guys going with the idea.

yes/no?!

By jorge guzman Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:05 pm
im down 8)

By Archetype_J Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:07 pm
jorge guzman wrote:im down 8)

Hey homie, how does your avatar change everytime i refresh the page? That ish is bugging me out.

By Earnest Magilakutti Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:14 pm
Yeah that would be cool cause it challenge folks to get out and dig and it's great practice.

By jorge guzman Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:44 pm
Archetype_J wrote:
jorge guzman wrote:im down 8)

Hey homie, how does your avatar change everytime i refresh the page? That ish is bugging me out.

yeah man.. is pics i take from my sidekick, they just put up random pics like a girl's azz or my studio pics :lol: