Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc
By HEATthebeatmaker Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:18 pm
so i bought a record with only drums to sample. it looks clean and plays fine. the only thing is, the vinyl has this static that makes me not want to sample it. i like normal static, but the static i hear is sometimes on top of the instrument. for example if there is a snare, the static is on top and blends in with the snares high end. if theres a kick it plays with the kick so every time the kick is used there would be a static.

the equipment i use is a ttusb turntsable with the stock cartidge. i have used better cartidges but i dont think thats the problem as not every record is like this.

i did try gruv glide, but it didnt help much. i even got a anti static brush. the brush didnt help as there was not a lot of dust, but maybe it was because i got a cheap one.

i have not tried any other cleaning methods, but i'm thinking of buying wood glue for this. what do you think would help and what is the problem?
By peterpiper Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:31 pm
Some thoughts:

1. A record with only drums? Is it a special sample record? If it is I can imagine that the static is on the samples already.

2. A record could be damaged although it looks good. It is probably played vey often and with a damaged stylus.

3. It also could be dirt/dust that is really sticking in the groove caused by playing the record wet without cleaning them before and/or bad wet-playing liquid.

If nothing help and you have nothing to loose you can try to play it wet. It will sound better but when the liquid dried it will sound bad again.

peace
By Ill-Green Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:14 pm
peterpiper wrote:Some thoughts:

1. A record with only drums? Is it a special sample record? If it is I can imagine that the static is on the samples already.

2. A record could be damaged although it looks good. It is probably played vey often and with a damaged stylus.

3. It also could be dirt/dust that is really sticking in the groove caused by playing the record wet without cleaning them before and/or bad wet-playing liquid.

If nothing help and you have nothing to loose you can try to play it wet. It will sound better but when the liquid dried it will sound bad again.

peace

Yup wet your records with water and play them wet. Its a sure methods to get rid of static. Glue is great for removing hard to reach dust particles.
By JVC Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:25 pm
... so i bought a record with only drums to sample. ...

My guess is that, if the record is a collection of breaks that were lifted from old vinyls, then the static might be recorded too (like "Ultimate Breaks & Beats" records.)

If you are using Gruv Glide properly, then I think your record in question is clean enough.

There is other possible cause:
the equipment i use is a ttusb turntsable with the stock cartidge. i have used better cartidges but i dont think thats the problem as not every record is like this.

I generally don't like turntables with USB out and built-in phono amp. They are generally sound bad and I don't enjoy listening vinyls with those.
I use SL-1200 mk2, which is most likely too expensive for many.
You can get a used mid-range turntables that were made in 80s' (they are well-made and sounds great) and a new phono-amp unit, under $80.

Like this one:
http://turntablelab.com/collections/amp ... ono-preamp

Maybe using a stand alone phono-amp with your USB turntable (make sure to connect phono out, not line-out) would improve the sound quality.
By forknspoon Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:53 pm
could the record possibly have been already owned by a DJ that put some heavy groves in the cut? you said its a drum record... maybe some bboy DJ was repeating the shit outta those parts? just a suggestion