Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc
By DSTRUCT Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:05 pm
I got mad stevie wonder records (hes my fav of all time) but i wont sample him. Ive done it before, but i would never sell that beat or rap over it. haha Ima wait till i can meet stevie and ask him to collab lol. I heard he loves hip hop and you can sample for free if you ask him. If you dont ask, he sues the sh*t outta you.

By itchyvinyl Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:23 pm
I won't sample any drums/samples off of current hip-hop producers' records.
The only hip-hop records I will sample from would be from a pre-sampling group....like I don't feel bad taking a DMX Drum Machine snare off an early 80s record or something....but I'm not gonna start jacking Premo's drums.
No need for you to tell me you disagree. THAT'S JUST ME.

By binger0 Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:32 pm
ditto.

By shocks Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:44 pm
i feel you on the stevie records, ive got 7 of his lp's and have only sampled a snare from one, never would sample any loops. i dont sample anything thats been put out in the last 15-20 years or so.
or sample anything thats been sampled a few times that i know of, even if its a sick sample

By fobedafied Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:04 pm
i wont sample boy george outta respect for myself!

By butcher Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:08 pm
right now im stayin away from soul/funk for samples cuz i think its gettin outta hand... and i stay away from real old shit and most orchestra shit... other than that i give anything a try for some good samples..

By wkiw Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:00 am
i only sample artists i respect
i dont have some unwritten rule on making beats
what works works for me
but i dont think straight loopin some common songs is good
thats the only thing for me
i cant stand straight loopers
chop cats chop, at least add some bass.
peace

By MattMatiks PG Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:03 am
I'm the same with Stevie... I have sampled him, but only for my listening pleasure... Never anything I would sell...

By Blue Haze Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:56 am
Steve was already sampled with the song (That Girl) and some other joints I can`t remember put the producer chopped the shit out of it to make it hard to identify. It was on a West Coast joint in the 90s it will come to me later. I feel if you can flip it right like the dude did it would be just like flipping Marvin Gaye or Sam Cookes classics. It up to the producer`s ear. Never limit yourself.
Damn was that a ill al Scratch song???

I remember now that "Livin it up" by **** Rule was Do I do and that shit was nice. The first one will come to me later.

By stryke Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:04 pm
Nothing that was or is really popular.I try to dig deep beneath the surface to find stuff by relatively "unheard ofs."Something that catches peoples' attention when you pay respect to.I want people to see where it was sampled from and be like"Who are they."I also love Bluenote.

By Blaknif Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:54 pm
I love Stevie to death, but I will sample him!!!!
Face it dude has some bangin' sh!t

By incurablebeatlust Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:41 am
fobedafied wrote:i wont sample boy george outta respect for myself!

ha!

By incurablebeatlust Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:42 am
don't forget coolio w/ gangstas paradise was a stevie song right? im burnt but i think that right...

By deity13 Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:49 am
probably herbie hancock you can't fuk with herbie man . Its not that there isn't millions of things that could be looped, chopped etc. used- just outta respect- theres other but herbies the first to come to mind

By Cheech Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:38 am
incurablebeatlust wrote:don't forget coolio w/ gangstas paradise was a stevie song right? im burnt but i think that right...

yeah, it was pastime paradise.. But I don't know if they sampled it or played it themselves.

Sampling stevie is kind of dull because everyone and their mother would know it is stevie.
Unless you REALLY flip it!