Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc
By SEMS Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:19 am
peeping tom wrote:gotta remember, while some people dig for rare jawns, there are plenty of people that youtube it. it aint like it used to be where records was IT when it came to samples, back then finding the rare **** meant not many other people have it, now there are blogs of rare records, and people just google the ****. Some of my best samples have been dollar bin joints.

Good points. I think the definition of "rare" has just changed a bit. What was considered rare 15-20 years ago may not be anymore because of youtube & blogs, so now there's a cool middle ground of stuff that's not valuable to many (AKA dollar bin or sub-$10) but that is much harder to find on YT etc...

That's where I usually dig ;)
By ElTheMightyOne Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:32 pm
Depends, rare records as a sampling source' is fun because you got all these cats like damn what did he sample for this?

and for me personally as a vinyl collector I see rare in two categories. Rare as in there are only a couple thousand copies of this record (in total just a couple thousand so never reissued after the first). Two being an original first second or third pressing. Because millions of people may own that Thiller record but only a few own that very first sealed pressing.

so from a collectors point of view the fun part is collecting. I can find those records in almost every recordshop I go. But to find a rare record or seeing a common record but finding out by matrix code and label color which pressing it is, is the fun part for me.

Ofcourse i like good music, I got that Maggot brain reissue for twenty bucks. But my addiction side knows that when i find that original copy for two hundred bucks I would buy it for sure.
By peeping tom Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:13 am
haha, i picked up maggot brain for $20 the other week, also a re-issue!

GREAT album.