Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc
By damien907 Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:20 am
ive been recently getting into this stuff, its been pretty hard to find a good place to start, so ive just been diving in on youtube and a few compilation albums.

i went in mostly to find some ill fuzz guitar loops, (think foxy lady without vocals) and while i havent found too many, i have found some exceptional music, and a few other samples here and there.

it seems that austin/san antonio/ arizona/ new mexico, basically the american southwest and san fransisco are pretty good places to find newer psych bands.

any of you guys have any bands with psych fuzz samples you could share?
or even just some good music, somewhere to start for a beginner?

i seem to get sidetracked out of psych and fuzz type stuff into stoner and doom metal sometimes also, which while its cool, it usually has too many vocals, except this one band called earth, that shit is pretty much vocal free for most of their albums, and its **** awesome. can you think of any other instrumental slower type doom metal, or stoner rock/fuzz psych ect?

ill post a few great songs for you guys to check, maybe we can make this the psych.fuzz.doom. mega thread.

here is a more modern rock band, maybe not quite psych, but def inspired by it in some parts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz1nq1hmVCE

and here is some more 60s/70s psych

opening track by a band called fresh blueberry pancake! this song is sick!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL2U6S2X7Nc

earth, check out anything by them really, its kind of sludge metal, doom, stoner, slow shit with wicked guitars. the newest album by them has guest vocals on a few tracks, but most of their other stuff doesnt have any vocals i dont think. they have like 7 albums out. the guitarist was kurt cobains good friend.

post up some of your favorites!
i know you uk cats had/have a great psych scene over there also, anyone could shed some light?
By yabyum Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:55 pm
For stoner metal stuff, Dopesmoker by Sleep is the best of the genre for me like above said, similar to earth. It's meant to be heard as one hour long track, so it's way stretched out with no vocals appearing until like 5 minutes in! Their earlier stuff is good too but that is the pinnacle. that guy went on to form High on fire later. vinyl is somewhat rare but its out there.

also good - Sunn O))), Boris, Om are some other good ones to check out
By craveone Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:05 pm
yabyum wrote:For stoner metal stuff, Dopesmoker by Sleep is the best of the genre for me like above said, similar to earth. It's meant to be heard as one hour long track, so it's way stretched out with no vocals appearing until like 5 minutes in! Their earlier stuff is good too but that is the pinnacle. that guy went on to form High on fire later. vinyl is somewhat rare but its out there.

also good - Sunn O))), Boris, Om are some other good ones to check out

the EXACT album i was thinking of...Sunn O)) is alittle to drone for my taste, still good stuff... also check out Church of Misery - master of brutality is what i am thinking here... for Boris, Heavy Rocks would be my choice album of theirs...
By damien907 Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:07 pm
om is amazing, i already also heard of bong ripper and dope smoker -sleep (dopesmoker is the band, and sleep is the album right?) , but hadnt taken a good listen yet, im listening to the video you posted now though, and this is great!

another really good one i have been listening to is goatsnake, specifically their album titled "flower of disease."[youtube]v=jeyJ6m8AyY0[/youtube]

its very similar to the dopesmoker clip you posted.

all them witches, electric wizard, and elder, any specific albums to start with? or just pick and choose?

also, im kind of intimidated by sun o)))'s discography. im looking for earth sounding stuff, which album is most similar to that would you say?
By damien907 Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:21 pm
josefus is aweseome 60s/70s psych rock

check this bad boy out

By yabyum Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:08 pm
Sleep is the band, dopesmoker the album. But any weed band name pretty much tells you what you're gonna get!
For sunn o)) check out the grimrobe demos, got a song named after the dude from earth. also check out the labels southern lord, hydra head, ...you'll find good stuff from them that are all in that scene and most of the bands mentioned are on one or the other
By scoobylol Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:19 pm
damien907 wrote:josefus is aweseome 60s/70s psych rock

check this bad boy out

This is quality! I don't really have any experience with music like this beyond the fact that this sounds slightly Led Zep-esque. Going to see if I can find a nice copy on Discogs.
By damien907 Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:17 pm
scooby, that is psych rock. its what i originally intended this thread to be more geared towards, but it seems like we went off on the more doom/stoner metal side of things. maybe i should start a thread that is only about 60s/70s psych rock/fuzz and neo-psych stuff, and i will re title this one "stoner/doom metal.

do you guys think?

anyway, there are quite a few bands like josefus, its just about getting the quality ones. i would really like to stumble on some instrumental stuff like that also.

i guess there is a book written on the subject also, which is probably a good place to start for both of us. its like the psych rock bible from what i hear. ill ask the record store guy next time i go in if i remember.

i think it might be this book though:

http://www.amazon.com/TURN-DECADES-GREA ... 0634055488

if you like the psych stuff though, check out the thirteenth floor elevators. (ive been recommended the first and second albums by them, as their discography is pretty big. they are next on my list to listen to a lot.
By adrian Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:41 pm
If you like OM, check out the drummers, Emil Amos, other band Grails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKF1xvd ... freload=10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAQDcnw ... freload=10

This band sounds like early Black Sabbath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J9MDi- ... freload=10

Other bands to check out, The Re-Stoned, radar men from the moon and as already mentioned Bong Ripper.
By damien907 Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:07 pm
def need to check otu the -restoned. ive heard a little bit more of their stuff and its good.

is there a certain album you would recommend?

yesterday i bought a good stoner, doom, sludge metal type cd: there is only one track on the whole album with lyrics and coincidentaly it the only track i dont like, only because of the lyrics really. i cant stand metal vocalists anymore.

there is another track only says one phrase in the whole song, only once, so its really mostly instrumental too.

here is the album though, you guys should check it out if your into this type of shit, its really heavy and hella dope:

also really great cover art.

artist: capricorns
album: ruder forms survive

this is a playlist of the album, so ill link it instead of embed the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2txFXo ... tFMdCIS_qY
By medearis Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:05 am
Weed Eater

Texas has a ton of energy in this genre. Seemingly happened out of no where but it has stuck around for a long time now, and gaining more attention.

Most band names slip myind right now but Weed Eater **** rocks :lol:
By damien907 Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:01 am
yeah, texas does have a good psych scene in general.

san antonio especially from what ive found.

ill check out weed eater.

a **** awesome instrumental band i found is called pelican, they are from the uk.
this week i went to a record store in seattle and got their cd, another capricorns one, and a bongripper's first cd called hail satan, warship doom.

i also got an lp by a band called ostenesk, i think they are from philly. tey are good doom metal, but there are some weird type vocals (mostly just groans and shrieks) on some of the songs, so i dont know if im going to be converting them to be playable on my computer or not.
i prefer the instrumental stuff.

with pelican, the riffs are a bit more melodic and almost post-punk influenced, rather than strait up doom metal/sludge/drone but its a really good stuff anyway..

im gonna change the name of this thread.

...edit... nvm i dont know how to change the orignal thread title, do i have to be a mod of this sub forum to do it?