Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc
By JVC Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:42 pm
Let me just say that this album sounds great.
Of course the music is great, but it sounds amazing on vinyls.
I'd recommend getting the vinyl version of the album, if you have decent playback capacity.
By mastasteez Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:02 pm
All his shit sounds great. His drums and bass are so clear and crisp. I think he records all his drums and bass on a reel to reel (can't remember where I read this unfortunately).

I have Voodoo on record and it is so silky.

Enjoy your purchase mate.
By Mike Boogie Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:40 pm
I copped it for my own listening pleasure via Mp3.

The vocals sound VERY "tucked" behind everything else. I haven't really opening it up on my studio/office monitors but I feel the mix is just a tiny bit off. The bass has pop, but sounds muddy on my car sound system. Maybe it's a multi-band compression issue, or something that just throws the feel off a lot.

Voodoo and Brown Sugar are absolute classics.

I will say this, the piano player on Another Life.... Sweet Jesus! I wish there was a way I could get my paws on those multitracks.
By JVC Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:59 am
Mike Boogie wrote:The vocals sound VERY "tucked" behind everything else. I haven't really opening it up on my studio/office monitors but I feel the mix is just a tiny bit off. The bass has pop, but sounds muddy on my car sound system. Maybe it's a multi-band compression issue, or something that just throws the feel off a lot.

The vocal does sound tucked, but I think that's how D'Angelo wanted to mix. The liner notes (did MP3 kill liner notes?) states that everything recording process was done with analog equipment, especially stated that there was no digital plug-in used anythere on the album.
some of the songs feature baseline with very low freqency. There is absolutely any moments anythere on the album that sounds remotely muddy.
Again, this album deserves to be heard with a really good stereo system.

Off the topic, I listened to Midnight Marauders on vinyl recently (I hadn't heard it on vinyl for long time) it sounds good on vinyl too!
By Mike Boogie Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:30 pm
JVC wrote:...but I think that's how D'Angelo wanted to mix. The liner notes (did MP3 kill liner notes?) states that everything recording process was done with analog equipment, especially stated that there was no digital plug-in used anythere on the album.
some of the songs feature baseline with very low freqency. There is absolutely any moments anythere on the album that sounds remotely muddy.
Again, this album deserves to be heard with a really good stereo system.

This would probably explain why it sounds like it was mixed like a Black Keys record!
By JVC Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:04 pm
... There is absolutely any moments anythere on the album that sounds remotely muddy. ...

Oh, that doesn't sound right (pardon me, my English is not good.) What I wanted to say was that you won't find any muddy sounding part on the album.
That said, baselines on this album is super low, loud and clear.
By Jenre Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:01 am
Don't forget this album was also mixed really quickly. D'Angelo wanted to get the album out because of all the stuff happening with Ferguson etc so they kind of rushed the final mixing process and everything from there on. I actually like the sound they've got, it sounds very warm but I do think some of the vocals are a little too buried in the mix.

Then again I've only listened on spotify! I'm sure the vinyl sounds a lot nicer.