Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc
By Lord Lav Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:04 pm
I found this 'Noisey' article an interesting read.

Dusty but Digital

I've done my share of vinyl digging and generally I don't tend to sample that much but I often get the itch. I've still got my ton of vinyl and I've often bulked at the idea of sampling from YouTube because of how compressed it can be etc... unless it's some simple vocal to scratch with or something. I'd have never entertained the idea of sampling a main break directly from YouTube but it appears there are many that do. Even Action Bronson's recent track 'Easy Rider' with those awesome Turkish samples were taken directly from YouTube NOT from vinyl which is something I'd have never known, but then I'm not a professional sound engineer, I'm just a producer.

So I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on this are?
By Doc00Cosel Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:37 pm
I'm the same way. I've been digging for years. However, sometimes I come across a good sample on youtube so I take it. The thing I am most concerned with is stereo & mono. If it is stereo I will use it. But as mentioned in the original post, I'm not a sound engineer either. I don't know how this affects things overall.
By SEMS Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:54 pm
My thoughts generally are that I don't really care what other people use, that's up to them. I do the youtube thing sometimes, but nearly everything I've done for the past year has been strictly vinyl. I tried it, it's fun, but just not for me. I hope one day everyone uses youtube/mp3s etc... more vinyl for me!

The saddest thing I learned reading that article is that there's actually a producer called Small Professor. That kinda made me just :Sigh:
By Doc00Cosel Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:41 am
SEMS wrote:My thoughts generally are that I don't really care what other people use, that's up to them. I do the youtube thing sometimes, but nearly everything I've done for the past year has been strictly vinyl. I tried it, it's fun, but just not for me. I hope one day everyone uses youtube/mp3s etc... more vinyl for me!

The saddest thing I learned reading that article is that there's actually a producer called Small Professor. That kinda made me just :Sigh:

Yea no doubt. I guess it all depends on what you like. Almost all of my beats were made off of vinyl as well. Only in the last 2 years I started using youtube.

Small Professer. Ridiculous. :vomit:

:lol:
By richie Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:26 pm
Small Professor actually has beats though.
By jibber Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:15 am
IMO it also depends what you do with the sampled sounds. Do you process them heavily, mangle them, add effects, etc? Then it might not be such an issue with quality, because you're going to **** up the sounds anyway (even if you could argue that a shit sound will sound worse compared to a good quality sound, even or especially if you process them).

If you just chop and add minor effects, then quality is an issue IMO.

It's not that obvious first, but if you directly compare a good quality vinyl rip to a 1080p youtube version, the difference is night and day.
I've participated in a few beat battles here on the forum where the provided sample was an MP3. It bothered me every time that it sounds like shit compared to sampling from a record. You notice it especially when pitching sounds and doing other stuff, ugly ass artefacts you don't have with a good quality sample, etc.

In the end: If it works for you and you are happy with your sound... who the hell cares? Do you.
By SEMS Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:29 pm
richie wrote:Small Professor actually has beats though.

Yeah I checked him out, I'm not knocking the man's music, I just... c'mon maaaaaaaaaan.

What's next? He's starting a group called Secondary Source? Their debut single Listening At The Back Door?
By Doc00Cosel Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:11 pm
SEMS wrote:
richie wrote:Small Professor actually has beats though.

Yeah I checked him out, I'm not knocking the man's music, I just... c'mon maaaaaaaaaan.

What's next? He's starting a group called Secondary Source? Their debut single Listening At The Back Door?

Thats what I'm saying. Pick a new name. I knew a kid who called himself Lil' Pun. It was gay. Lol. Secondary Source!!
By Ill-Green Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:30 am
I been producing since 1992 and I started by buying cassettes from the bargain bin to sample them or record the vinyl sounds to tape and sample that too. I never looked at vinyl or any medium as THEE source to sample from, I just wanted to make dope beats back in those times. When CD began becoming affordable, I was digging in the bargain bins as well and wasn't at all bothered that its not vinyl. CDs, cassettes, vinyl or digital should be options in your production and not discriminated. The more options, the merrier. :-D

Though I am against the idea of calling it "e digging", its not. You googled it.
By Retro Styles Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:02 am
I'm not going into the sound issue at all.
The main thing about "e-digging" is that you have all the sources of music just some clicks away. You have any dope sample for free immediately.
A drawback is, you might lose your inspiration through clicking...
At the other hand vinyl digging is more, way more expensive and you don't know what you purchased until go home and listen to those dusty as old grave records, especially if there were from 1$ bin (I have found sealed diamonds though in 1$ bin).
So, after that everything is personal preference.
I start with my buddy, dj youtube and fl studio. Then, I purchased a turntable some records and later mpc 2000. Why, because this is how I get inspired.
For me to go digging is pain in the @$$. I must go to an another city to dig some records. My bus tickets cost more than the average record bills I do. But I keep doin' this because I feel more full through that.
The thing is to do the best we can with the things we have.
Music is a creative process, the means don't count, only the result.

P.S.: Sorry about my english.
By Star One Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:04 pm
Ill-Green wrote:Though I am against the idea of calling it "e digging", its not. You googled it.

I agree completely with that

I haven't done the online thing yet. And not because I want to impress some washed up arsehole who at the end of the day wouldn't give a fuck about me anyway. Looking outside yourself for admiration is no good.. Won't go very far like that. Or be very happy.

But the internet is fucking dope. And I totally get why people would do it. The vinyl only rule is not a rule for everybody. It's just a discipline in some circles. Even so I'm not doing it out of this discipline, it's just sorta the vibe that works for me.

Plus there is a lot of ill shit coming out, that a lot of them might not have it on vinyl, maybe even some of these bands are youtube only type of thing. That's a major bonus.

Wouldn't internet searching for samples be kinda tough tho? Like everybody having access to the same stuff, you would really have to get creative with how you search for stuff. Plus there's all the crazy copyright war shit going on, links getting taken down everywhere (mixtapes I wasn't around for when they came out, I know how hard those are to search for and get online!!!!!!!!! Like all the remaining Dj MK tapes I don't have... Which is like 6..)

My thing is if somebody is into the same thing as, for example, making beats and doing it by sampling shit and doing their thing with it... I would want to be friends with that person. Not be on some division, class-warrior type of shit.. Same with Dj's, a lot of em, and that's not a Dj to me. Spend more time talking about people who aren't Dj's and all playing follow the leader saying shit like "Im a Dj not a jukebox, no requests" and there playing the radio basically? Fuck outta here.

Competition pushes you. Being an arsehole brings you down.

On a funny note, I've noticed how when some people are talking about this, then they 'admit' to having sampled chunes off the internet, it's like they admit to it like saying they masturbate ^_^ Shits hilarious
By richie Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:28 pm
The only issue I see with sampling from the internet is the sonic quality. Not everyone who uploads stuff to the internet, blogs, etc uses proper encoding formats which end up seriously affecting the frequency after 15khz. You could do a frequency analysis of some of the files and see for yourself.

The dope thing is that there are some now strictly posting wav and flac files, abandoning the mp3 format all together. I do not think it matters if a million other beat makers have access to the same samples as you. There is enough to go around for everyone.
By BoyOfVirtue Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:07 am
I enjoy the process of digging and flipping it on my mpc more than the end result, really....if I wanted easy I'd probably do it all through Ableton with a MIDI controller.

But at the end of the day, a dope beat is a dope beat. if you come up with something cool from Youtube more power to you.