Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc
By cyrus Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:55 pm
im tryin differant techniques to flip a sample, and Usually i do a mixture of starting with drums, and searching for samples....or if i hear a dope sample ill start with the sample.

Anyways, I'm wondering, THOSE of you who start with the sample....i.e. loop it up, or make an "arrangement" of several samples.....do you just loop it up at whatever tempo itll loop good at? then lay the drums over?

or do you try to fit tempos and drums? like find approximate tempo you like with drums, then adjust so they find happy medium?

I noticed in that heatmakers video, that they just looped up a sample, then layed drums over it.....it didnt appear that they worried about the tempos? Just played drums over the sample.

By Barbados Slim Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:59 pm
i find a sample, lay temporary hats over it (so it can be chopped to time) and then work the rest in when et eeeeeeeeez timeeeee!!!!

By MattMatiks PG Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:30 pm
Barbados Slim wrote:i find a sample, lay temporary hats over it (so it can be chopped to time) and then work the rest in when et eeeeeeeeez timeeeee!!!!

I do the same... Layin hi-hats over a loop gives you a great sense of where the timing of the track is... Sometiems if you got a loop that's really out of timing and you need to chop it to get it back in... Lay some hi-hats on top and chop and time stretch... That sh*t'll be in time in no time at all (odd way of saying that) :lol:

By FLUENT Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:09 am
i usually just find a hot loop and decide what im gonna do wtih it while im making it...tempo wise i already have an idea..i usually end up at 85-95 but its normally 90..once in awhile i loop a drum break..so the tempo might be 87.3, then i fit my chops in according to that

usually start with a melody and a real basic drum pattern , and build off that..in the heatmakerz vid he already had those patterns laid out, and already found the tempos of his loops

By Air Adam Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:06 pm
I very rarely start with the drums, which is kind of odd for someone that makes hip-hop :) I'll either loop or chop and sequence the sample(s) at the tempo I think suits; then it I already have a drum pattern in mind I'll lay that down, or else just do a quick kick/snare/hat arrangement on the spot, which can be tweaked or just replaced later.

By cyrus Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:40 am
im gonna try that, because i think if i do it this way ^^^^^ i can just go for "what sounds good" rather then hindering my creative block by just using samples that fit.........i think if i get a cool arrangement, i can then treat that like another sample, and timestretch it or detune to fit a needed tempo.

ya know why i asked? because im allways trying things differantly, to see if its something that will work for me in the future!!!! so you guys inspired me to try it out.

Peace thanks for the responses!

By dj e.d.e Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:05 am
what i do is loop and time stretch and chop , then i'll drop a drum pattern then add the samples in to place then add hihats if it dont sound right then i can change the pattern around or create anew one to fit in to the melody i got , i usually get my tempo from when i loop my sample or i just time stretch to the tempo i'm feelin.

By jpeg Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:52 am
I think its good to try different things rather than sticking to just one process for beatmaking cos then u get more variation in the way the beat comes out.

By calchrn2010 the feckwit Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:17 pm
when ur an expierenced beatmaker like me, ul lbe able to hear in ur head what a certain tempo/bpm might sound like, also ull be able to count the bpm of a loop after hearing it for say 10 secs.dont worry itll happen slowly.and u can calculate in ur head what the bpm will be by the percentagre of what u compress/speed it up.

also in the heatmakers video the loop they made for the first sequence was chopped, but they already chopped it up b4 so u didnt see that :lol: .the second sequence was just looped though.the second hihat sequence however was a loop as it is the heatmakers signatre :wink:

By stryke Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:27 pm
jpeg wrote:I think its good to try different things rather than sticking to just one process for beatmaking cos then u get more variation in the way the beat comes out.

Word

By cyrus Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:53 pm
stryke wrote:
jpeg wrote:I think its good to try different things rather than sticking to just one process for beatmaking cos then u get more variation in the way the beat comes out.

Word

yeah......i think my style reflects this....plus you make more $$$ because you can fit a wider range of mcs.

and yesterday i tried doing my drums differant from what i normally do and i got them to bounce the way my sample needed....it improved the track like 10% i could have just left the drums and it would have sounded good, but that extra just made it hit harder.

By Iceberg-Slim Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:16 pm
calchrn2010 the feckwit wrote:when ur an expierenced beatmaker like me, ul lbe able to hear in ur head what a certain tempo/bpm might sound like, also ull be able to count the bpm of a loop after hearing it for say 10 secs.dont worry itll happen slowly.and u can calculate in ur head what the bpm will be by the percentagre of what u compress/speed it up.

also in the heatmakers video the loop they made for the first sequence was chopped, but they already chopped it up b4 so u didnt see that :lol: .the second sequence was just looped though.the second hihat sequence however was a loop as it is the heatmakers signatre :wink:

..... i coulda swore a few months ago on fp you were a "fresh new producer in the game"

By cyrus Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:00 am
^^^^^i was thinking the same thing....and didnt want to blast or start an arguement.

but dude, im not a **** idiot....i posted my post to see what other people think, because i am interested in fellow producers opinions....i respect most everybody on this forum. If i have a chance i will help someone.....hopefully they return the favor.

Sometimes you gotta ask questions, just to check yourself.....even if you already know the answer.

So please try to be respectfull. Loose your ego and listen to your heart.....we are all just people......tryin to knock booty.

peace