Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc

By dj e.d.e Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:51 pm
peezie wrote:he probably meant luke warm, no where near hot. Ive been cleaning my records with warm soapy water and havent noticed anything bad.
dj e.d.e wrote:
joeybells wrote:Here's the truth.

Always clean first with warm water and a tiny bit of soap in the sink, :oops:

WRONG!!! WRONG!!!! WRONG!!!!!
dude your trippin have you ever seen what warm WATER or heat does to a record?

you never use warm water........ USE COLD
OK ...but if you ever noticed vinyl is sensitive to heat so any heat you put on them will warp them ....BUT be my GUEST... if you need records then those warp you know where i'am.

By synthburn Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:45 am
has anyone tried hydrogen peroxide?
from what i understand, you can get a big bottle of it pretty cheap at any grocerie store and it eats up any organic material (dust/mold/bacteria) then quickly turns into water, then you could just rinse it with cool water and dry it with a microfiber cloth

By Re: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:32 pm
I've found that this stuff works the best for cleaning vinyl.

Last edited by Re: on Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By peezie Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:19 am
of course. i ruined many records leaving it in my car
dj e.d.e wrote:OK ...but if you ever noticed vinyl is sensitive to heat so any heat you put on them will warp them ....BUT be my GUEST... if you need records then those warp you know where i'am.
:evil:

By dj e.d.e Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:22 pm
peezie wrote:of course. i ruined many records leaving it in my car
dj e.d.e wrote:OK ...but if you ever noticed vinyl is sensitive to heat so any heat you put on them will warp them ....BUT be my GUEST... if you need records then those warp you know where i'am.
:evil:
i'm just speaking from my trail and errors is all, and i dont want others to ruin records that some day may see my hands or others hands,

By Hamzter Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:52 pm
there is mold on the vinyl. will the alcohol water solution work?

By dj e.d.e Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:47 pm
Hamzter wrote:there is mold on the vinyl. will the alcohol water solution work?

NO use lysol that will kill 99% of the time
water will just add to it .

spray the record and spray the sleeve or throw out the sleeve and get a new one then spray the inside cover , use common sence dont spray to much tho as to get the label all wet with it just enuff....

By Hamzter Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:07 pm
should I throw away my vinyl since it has mold on it? it make room for more vinyl...

By gmixstudios Sun May 06, 2007 9:43 pm
MILTY ZEROSTAT thats the gat I need in my set up

By muscle Fri May 18, 2007 9:23 pm
lol throw that molding shit away!!
i use windex too.

By Jessiah Sat May 19, 2007 12:48 am
yo, this lady that owns an old record shop here in Boston tells me to use bounty paper towels for wiping off the records... they don't leave any residue, which is exactly what your trying to clean off! so whatever cleaning solution you use, try bounty, the quicker picker upper. haha

I have used windex, and also just water whenever I've had a dirty record with a crazy sample I needed clean. But my two tools in the studio I always have are an air spray can, and a micro fiber towel to clean (like a felt cleaner).

I say, only clean them if you have too!

By gmixstudios Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:22 pm
RONSON all the way

By MalaKai Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:45 am
this might be a redundant sugges. but here's how i do it:

1:1 mix of de-ionized water and reagent grade alcohol in a spray bottle

i basically give both sides of the record a couple squirts and run an anti-static surface cleaning cloth around it to dry it up and loosen up the groove dust. next it put it on the table and go around both sides with a felt hand brush. it's basically a hand-me-down tool designed specifically for cleaning out the grooves. the remaining liquid solution is generally evaporated and the method seems to work pretty good.

UPDATE: I used to use way too much alcohol. It's better to use like 1:4/less
Last edited by MalaKai on Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

By Perks Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:23 pm
PFAN-STAT anti static solution and a soft cloth

1 bottle has lasted forever, cleans off dirt and dust and other ramdom nasty ish is on there. and keeps em cleaner since its anti static