Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc

By perish Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:22 am
""I have another version of "It's a New Day" by Brother to Brother except on their album it's called "Hey What's That You Say". Same exact lyrics and structure with slightly different arrangements and instrumentation. That version is super dope as well although no open drums. ""
I havea version of this on 45 by 'Wood Brass and Steel" is that it ??? Unsure of the LP.

As for the Meters, check anything touched by Allen Toussaint. The Meters were his house band, many of h their tracks written by him. He also did solo gear, produced Lee Dorsey and wrote the breakbeat classic 'Get Out My Life Woman' with that nice drum pattern.

By heavysound Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:30 am
Oh yeah not to mention
the Meters played on other albums as well Dr. John, etcc....

By hoodlord Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:34 am
[quote="perish He also did solo gear, produced Lee Dorsey and wrote the breakbeat classic 'Get Out My Life Woman' with that nice drum pattern.[/quote]

Perish are you sure he wrote "Get out my life.". I swear I got a version in the house by some group.....man I can't remember there name though from like waaaaaaay back sounds like the 60's. I'll check this weekend and see if I can find it.

I know I got another version by Tom Jones and I got one by somebody else too. Sh*t I think I got like 5 different remakes of that joint. Oh I know who the other version is by Mountain.

But, thats not who I'm saying made the song waaay back in the day. This is some wierdo hippee group......man I wish I could remember. See kids this is what too much dro and beer do to you over the years.

By perish Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:10 pm
Yeah, I'm sure. Check the writing creditd.

I got versions by ...

Lee Dorsey
Bill Cosby
Iron Butterfly
John Schroder

There's many more...

By heavysound Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:52 pm
I'm sure you're either thinking of The Fireballs, or Q65.
Both are 60's rock groups and both have versions of "get out my life woman".
That song has been covered too many times to mention.
One of my personal favs is still the Bill Cosby version.
Illest drums ever!

Records are my life. Ask me anything.

Peace,
Heavy

By binger0 Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:36 pm
hoodlord wrote:[quote="perish He also did solo gear, produced Lee Dorsey and wrote the breakbeat classic 'Get Out My Life Woman' with that nice drum pattern.

Perish are you sure he wrote "Get out my life.". I swear I got a version in the house by some group.....man I can't remember there name though from like waaaaaaay back sounds like the 60's. I'll check this weekend and see if I can find it.

I know I got another version by Tom Jones and I got one by somebody else too. Sh*t I think I got like 5 different remakes of that joint. Oh I know who the other version is by Mountain.

But, thats not who I'm saying made the song waaay back in the day. This is some wierdo hippee group......man I wish I could remember. See kids this is what too much dro and beer do to you over the years.[/quote]

get outta my life women has been done by like 30 groups. i have 3 or 4 versions of it here at the crib.

By Blaknif Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:15 pm
heavysound wrote:Don't be ashamed that you are new to this. If you don't want to get ridiculed, just do a little more research first next time. First of all, even in New Orleans you are very lucky to find any Meter's album for under $20 these days but they've all been re-issued anyway. Did you find an original? Yes they were Neville affiliated. Leo Nocentelli was the bass player who made up half of the funkiest rhythm section in history. He still plays at various spots today if i'm not mistaken. They have been sampled by just about every hip-hop act in existance. Evidence of this can be seen on the sample f.a.q.. One of my personal favorites is still by the Juggaknots for "Clear Blue Skies". The famous song with the ill drum break is "It's a New Day" by the Skullsnaps (GSF-S-1011). However if I'm correct, they did not write the song nor were they the only ones to perform it, just the best drums on their version. I have another version of "It's a New Day" by Brother to Brother except on their album it's called "Hey What's That You Say". Same exact lyrics and structure with slightly different arrangements and instrumentation. That version is super dope as well although no open drums.
-Heavy

Leo Nocentelli was the guitarist. George Porter was the bassist.

By heavysound Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:23 pm
OOps you are correct sir!
I wasn't in front of my Meters recs at the time and I mixed up the two instruments. My bad.

But I think it is still Nocentelli that was active around the LA music scene in recent years. I have a super dope record that is fairly recent and features Nocentelli playing ultra funk with Joey Altruda (of jump with joey fame). This was a rare side project that Altruda did and the whole darn record is so darn funky. Unfortunately also out of print.

Like I said before...records are my life, ask me anything.
(I might not always be right though lol)

Thanks blankif.

Peace,
Heavy

By hoodlord Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:41 am
heavysound wrote:I'm sure you're either thinking of The Fireballs, or Q65.

Q65 that's it, yeah I got that and I even figured out where it is on some comp album with "Time of the season." by The Zombies.