Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc
By DokBrown Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:33 am
In UK they say vinyl sales will surpass CD sales ????

Maybe because I came in the game while the MPC2500 was top shelf. CDs are always gonna be standard for me. regardless, good to see people still buying music. Streaming is cool until its not ;-(

https://www.attackmagazine.com/news/new ... -comeback/
By Ultros Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:13 am
when i googles a records dynamic range:

"The dynamic range of a direct-cut vinyl record may surpass 70 dB. Analog studio master tapes can have a dynamic range of up to 77 dB. An LP made out of perfect diamond has an atomic feature size of about 0.5 nanometer, which, with a groove size of 8 micron, yields a theoretical dynamic range of 110 dB."

and when i googled dynamic range of a cd

"The compact disc's dynamic range is about 90 decibels, compared with about 70 decibels on the best phonograph discs, thus accounting for the distinct, clear sound obtained from even the cheapest CD players."

Thus yes to your point, cd is king dok. Records arent the optimal media anymore despite them being used.

what makes a record different or useful is that you can vary the playback speed and instead of slices per-second its frequency based or more importantly physical mollecules per-second.

For djing this is awesome, because we can up and down the tempo and it still sounds good but when you do the same with digital you gotta rely on an algo to fill in the blanks that are between the bits of info passing through the dsp over time.

good play back media, bad dj media and the UK is FULL of dj's.
By DokBrown Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:29 am
that was some good insight !!!!!!!!
By Ultros Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:34 am
i got more for you then you might be interested in. With Bluray you can to 7.1 dolby surroind sound in 24bit audio at 192k which is even clearer than what cd has to offer. Sadly nobody is utilizing Bluray for audio playback, but its been a dream of mine to mix and master an album on 7.1 surround sound.

"In theory, 24-bit digital audio has a maximum dynamic range of 144 dB, compared to 96 dB for 16-bit but today's digital audio converter technology cannot come close to that upper limit."

how neat would it be to have revolving high hats swirling around in a circle while the drums seemingly get thrown from back to front like a ball bouncing back and forth while the melody dances around the listener? There's so many options that could open up for creativity that would knock people on the floor when they heard it. Really set your music aside from all others.
By DokBrown Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:07 pm
but then people would listen to it thru their iphone speakers or some cheap Bluetooth box they got for $39.99 ;-(

unless you only deal with supreme cliente ;-)
By Ultros Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:31 pm
DokBrown wrote:but then people would listen to it thru their iphone speakers or some cheap Bluetooth box they got for $39.99 ;-(

unless you only deal with supreme cliente ;-)

haha yeah! that's the real issue, the target listeners have shit for play back devices. 3/4 of the song would be missing. it enrages me that the world has gone all lo-fi.

I've been crusading to no end pointlessly like: "you dont even remember what high quality music sounds like but you know what 4K looks like! resolution matters damn it!"

I've convinced a few folks now and each one comes back like "oh wow Jeff, you were right! the cd on my house stereo sounds WAY better!"

i gotta figure out a way to get people back on board with the idea that music is meant to be listened to from quality media but i've just not found a way to bridge that gap yet.
By v00d00ppl Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:11 pm
Hi Ultros,

1. There is hope for a better listening experience. Most current gen tablets and smartphones have improved the built in speaker. It has gotten to the point that mixing and mastering engineers will reference what is played back on a current iPhone and iPad. If you’ve got a good monitoring system you will realize how close the new ipads come to what your mixed in the studio.

2. Lossless audio tech in both Apple Music and Spotify has gotten really good. You can really benefit if your headphones have a built in DAC ( digital audio converter) or you can get a Dragonfly and plug that in your smart phone. The difference is night and day. « Abbey Road «  is a great reference album. I was listening to Peaches and Herb the other day and all their lossless recordings have a lot more detail.

3. Some Bluetooth speaker manufacturers are trying to build in a DAC to their system for better sound reproduction.

It’s small improvements like these that help the listener enjoy the music more.
By DokBrown Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:26 pm
No built-in speaker is ever gonna match a real speaker running thru real audio cables. I have some old KRK monitors that I got used for $200-300 that are better than just about anything apple or samsung sonically produces.

Bluetooth has come a long way, I will have to see about this dragonfly.
Can you post a link ?
By v00d00ppl Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:32 am
What’s up Dok?

Dragonfly is a usb DAC

https://www.audioquest.com/dacs/dragonfly/dragonfly-red

I use the red one myself, listening to internet radio sounds good on these. If you want to hook up to your mobile phone you will need a usb to lightning adapter for iPhones. I am sure there is something similar for android phones.

I listen to the jazz station on http://FIP.fr

It makes a huge difference for the headphone listening experience
By DokBrown Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:35 am
I don’t see why they just don’t sell it from their website.
Regardless, thanks for sharing