Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc

By elmacaco Mon May 16, 2005 4:23 pm
Switched on Back was the best selling classical album of the 20th century IIRC.

By bobbydesign Tue May 17, 2005 2:57 am
thanks elmacaco, i knew it was something impressive but couldn't place the exact fact- didn't want to go making wild claims i could back up (specially not with all you guys who REALLY know your ish looking over my shoulder). Everyday on here is a million times more educational than music history at uni.

bby d

By vursatyl0601 Thu May 26, 2005 8:34 pm
Anybody have any:

Batman, Superman, Spider-Man records? Like the ones with stories and **** on them? I've been trying to hunt a bunch of these down lately. Got a few on Ebay already - looking for more!

i have the superman II soundtrack, just found it the other day. pretty good condition. its the lazer engraved version, with the supreman logos on the vinyl. i dunno how rare, if at all, that is, but in my opininon its pretty fresh.

hit me at [email protected] if you want that. lol

By DSTRUCT Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:03 pm
i have clockwork orange also. i sampled it for my track "Delta9" on my album.

Then i heard a old rjd2 track that samples the same sh*t :evil:

By Mr. Mind Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:47 pm
bobbydesign wrote:clockwork orange is great if your into early moog stuff. Walter Carlos (who later had a sex change and became wendy) worked on early developments with Robert Moog becuase he was a composer, conducter and musician- and moog work really needed all elements. Its a pretty good album. You'll probably find "switched on bach" around the place too, which was aparently one of the biggest selling albums of its year (late 60's). Thats Carlos on moog too.

also "the well tempered synthesizer"

By c.toon Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:33 pm
Xandre wrote:Melvin Bliss/Skull Snaps - "Synthetic Substitution/It's a New Day"

Just thought you might want to know this is a repress.
It's a new day was on the self titled album from The Skull Snaps on GSF Records and is incredibly rare.
GSF was a real small lable and didn't put out much and therefore there aren't as many copies around.
Normally marketprices are $ 100-200.

Oh yea, there also is a 45 of "My Hangup Is You" with "It's A New Day" on the B-Side.
So if you're just after the Break you might track that one down.
Not sure if the sound is the same, as I've never heard the 45 to compare.

The Melvin Bliss Break was the B-Side of a 45 on Sunburst Records
(There also is a UK pressing on Contempo) from 1977 called "Reward"
Usually this fetches around 80 Bucks.

Now you might say, "**** all this cash shit. I'ma get the repress with both Breaks on one 12'' ". Now thats all cool if you don't care. Personally. I'd never get a repress though, simply due to sonic reasons and also cuz I'm on some nerdy collectors trip most beatmakers dont care about :D

You can get that 12" fairly cheap by ordering it somewhere...

Edit: Just found the Melvin 45 hanging on Ebay.co.uk I bet you it will go up for some loot though...

.Toon

By c.toon Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:52 pm
bobbydesign wrote:jean jaques perrey - EVA
ryo kawasaki - raisins, from the album, Juice (1976)

That Ryo shouldn't be so hard to find. I got mine for like 3 euros or so. It's also got the Dusty Fingers Joint Baboo Child on it which is dope as ****(they speeded it up for the comp though). I'm sorry but I don't have a double. If you do some more online digging, I'm sure you'll find a good copy for cheap.

On that E.V.A. joint. its on his "Moog Indigo" Lp.
There's one on Uk-ebay atm (UK pressing, with the not so dope cover..)

Sorry I can't offer trades, but I hope the info helps.

.Toon
By Xandre Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:11 pm
Good looks C. Toon,

I'm on your wavelength when it comes to them beat digga principles. I don't sample off re-pressings because of sound quality issues, but I do like to have those classic breaks, in any form, for live performance & sh!t like that.

But yeah, One Day :cry: I might (4)track an original. I be on that archival tip too.

XANDRE
Last edited by Xandre on Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

By c.toon Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:18 pm
I know it may seem lame to some people that "follow" these unwritten dogmas... (I dont give a rats ass if anyone samples mp3s, uses fruity loops, or use open primo kicks off 12s, just for the record ;) ),... but if you do some "e-digging" you might find the gem you've been looking for since for ever for like a 10th of the marketvalue of nerdy rotten jazz/funk/break collectors. Rock some google.com, musicstack.com, in worst case ebay (sometimes cats f!uck up by listing the record wrong, you never know!).

Hope I can hit y'all with some good trades soon!

.Toon

By graynote1 Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:48 pm
Tell me there's some Nina Simone out there... her sh*t is ALWAYS welcome at my place!
By Xandre Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:38 am

Anybody selling any of the Soul Children releases on Stax or Epic? Gimme a soul clap, been looking for these. Thank you!
Last edited by Xandre on Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By ripple Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:07 pm
Looking for:

David Axelrod - Songs of experience
Earnest Jackson - Funky Blackman 45

and any type of instructional vinyl, explaining devices, instruments... For good examples check out DJ Vadim's 'How to exercise the turntable record player'.

Oh and bobbydesign, EVA is out on a 12" as a reissue, had to look long but found it on eBay Germany.

By c.toon Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:08 pm
dstruction wrote:i have clockwork orange also. i sampled it for my track "Delta9" on my album.

Then i heard a old rjd2 track that samples the same sh*t :evil:

welcome to my world:
same happened to me with cage- weatherpeople (rjd2)

and recently even worse :
saigon - no idea (just blaze) off the - Abandoned nation mixtape
beanie sigel - lord have mercy (ruggedness) - off the b.coming album

:cry: :( :x