Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc

By mechp Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:04 pm
There really isn't a straight answer for this question....

If you are going for audio quality, then look into getting the nicest belt drive turntable you can find. Belt drive tables have a more even playback because the plate is removed from the drive mechanism by a band that evens out irregularities generated by mechanical motion.....

however....

You have to be really ginger with a high quality belt drive table, or you're going to be paying repair bills on the constant...no scratching or backspinning. Plus high end belt drive tables are not going to have pitch variation like DJ tables do (which may or may not matter to you). All of these things being standard (and often used) features of direct-drive decks.

In the end, I'd say the thing to worry about is cartridges and needles more than turntables. As far as needles go.... I have no idea! :oops:

By Prah_860_ Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:59 pm
one that has a needle....and output cables

:twisted: :twisted:

By cooocooo1 Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:03 pm
I command you to take the "DJ" out of your name!!!

By Prah_860_ Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:06 pm
cooocooo1 wrote:I command you to take the "DJ" out of your name!!!

for realz
silliest kid....how would a "DJ" not know the answer to that??

By undersound Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:19 pm
cooocooo1 wrote:I command you to take the "DJ" out of your name!!!

haha!

i use a Numark TT1610 beltdrive, cheap as to buy. then get a new cartridge somthing like a http://www.thomann.de/gb/stanton_discma ... r_id=59917

Will be great. As for best god knows its like the Cubase, Logic argument or PC Vs MAc

By KkonEl Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:03 pm
rightn now I'm in the process of moving
so I have a basic setup of:
Numark mixer
Numark TT2oo
MPC 3oooLE

now don't get me wrong
I miss miss my Tech 12s
but this turntable has a lot of useful features on it
two of my favorites are:

the reverse platter button(you can play a record backwards without touching the record with your hands)

and when using the speed slider you can hit the Quartz button and go back to the original speed without moving the slider (great for demoing pitches and stuff without having to go back and reconfigure your settings)

and the fact that not only can you play 45s and 33s but you can also play 78s on it

I love this table, I may integrate this into my setup and get rid of one of my Techs

By undersound Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:52 pm
well put KkonEl, it really depends what your looking to do. for it to be the "best" table/needle set up for you

By JazznFunkPack Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:42 pm
"" the reverse platter button(you can play a record backwards without touching the record with your hands) ""

You can do this with a regular 1200 too. Just play your record upside down. You cant really needle drop this way but hey.. it IS possible ;)

By KkonEl Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:49 pm
lol

By Mr Guiness Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:10 am
Focus on a quality catridge /needle and a decent mixer and you'll be straight.

By poundaproblem Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:03 am
I use a Gemini sv2200. Im no DJ but its pretty rugged. Honestly tho I noticed early that maintaining the needle is key!

By KnowledgeBorn Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:20 pm
just worry about the needle. I suggest the Shure M447. It's pretty rugged and will play records that you never thought would play with your old needle