Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By obsolete Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:08 am
Hello

I've gotta be crazy right, to still want an Akai MPC4000 in the year 2018?!

I mean, come on, this thing came out over 15 years ago?

Thing is, I've used either an MPC2000 or MPC2000xl for years (depending on project and studio) and I love the sequencer and the workflow. On top of that I still use an Akai S3000 as a ROMpler.

Seems to me like the MPC4000 is so much Akai all in one box

• MPC workflow with grid and piano roll edit as a bonus
  • Z-series sampler compatible with my existing library
  • Improved connectivity and compatibility with modern computers (USB, IDE, plug in a keyboard, .wavs etc)
  • Can sample during playback and loads of other features over earlier models
  • Etc etc

So why wouldn't I get an MPC5000 instead or an MPC2500 with JJOS or an MPC Live even?

It just seems to me that they hit a sweet spot with the MPC4000 ... or am I just tripping? :hmmm:
By JUKE 179r Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:33 pm
Your not tripping. I bought my first MPC4000 five months ago and it’s still a beast. Use it via USB with aksys on an older laptop (I use it on my Mac) and it opens up all kind of music production possibilities.
If you get one, replace the stock fan with a silent one and add an SSD drive to keep the 4000 quiet, quick and secure.
I really enjoy using it along with my 3000LE and MV-8800.
By Spivkurl Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:14 pm
I know I've been tripping, but still don't regret getting a MPC 4000 earlier this year. I became completely disillusioned by FL Studio during the beta testing of v12 and v20, and had to get away from my computer. Between the 4k and a multitrack cassette deck, I've been able to do exactly that. Plus, if I do ever go live again, I do not want a PC on stage.
By Blue Haze Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:26 am
The 4K is indeed a great machine which I still have and will never sell maybe. That said I’m working with mpc live and other gear now. Just a bit more options for me in my workflow and editing sequences. But I believe for the workflow and needs you stated it is the best for you. I occasionally come back to it as whatever new skill or understanding I pick up I tried to duplicate on the 4K if I can.
By Cases Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:41 pm
I will never break up with the love of my life. My MPC4000. I can't imagine having to replace it, it will kill my entire workflow and shit. The unit I have now is near death, I will buy another unit just for the moment it dies. Not only they hit the sweetspot with the 4K, the 1000, 2500 and 5000 are NOT AKAI machines. And just compare the two if you get the opportunity to see why AKAI units are the ones YOU want. The others ones will NOT survive the old boxes, they will die before the old ones do. I have had them ALL, now I only have the 4K and a S3200i. The 4K is the best MPC ever made, I can easily say that, since AKAI doesn't exist anymore. Sorry but this new boxes are useless when you are working on a laptop anyway, what's the point LOL. Just spend those dollars on plugins man, they crazy?! :lol: :nod: :hmmm:

That low latency midi and this high res (96ppqn!) sequencer, this filters to make the ultimate boom bap drum kits. The MPC4000 is like my entire DAW. I have a Fireface 8000 interface with 8 inputs, I only use 2. I mix my entire track in the 4K and a Soundcraft ghost 32/8.

Sorry to say, but there is a kind of consumer thing going on in this music business, and it's booming. People think they need all this hardware, they forget they need to spend like 10 years on making a proper mix. You don't need EQ's, Compressors, Reverbs, Delays, Distortions etc. You need a good set of ears and experience in mixing. Mixing is something most musicians never get their head around. It's an underrated art, but it's what makes you stand out, accompanied by music theory itself.
By Lampdog Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:51 pm
Cases wrote:You don't need EQ's, Compressors, Reverbs, Delays, Distortions etc. You need a good set of ears and experience in mixing.

A lot of people start with **** UP sounds to begin with and you just can't polish that up.
A BIG percentage of people don't wanna admit that or most likely the case they don't know.

Your "sound" advise call unto deaf ears when thrown at them.

The older I got, better sounds I started using, less filters, and shit I had to use.
By Edd.Buczybuda Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:54 am
MPC4000 OS is totally different to MPC2000XL - The way how MPC4000 interface is constructed, break many points of MPC2000XL ergonomy, but it offers more possibilities and provides quite "easy to go" solutions for more complex operations.

It's just extremely powerful in comparison to 2000XL but lacks of this "simplicity" - Doesn't work in my case very well and originally I'm coming from 2000XL.

I think you should buy MPC3000 instead :) Best OS for MPC ever or 60 if you like challenges.

obsolete wrote:Hello

I've gotta be crazy right, to still want an Akai MPC4000 in the year 2018?!

I mean, come on, this thing came out over 15 years ago?

Thing is, I've used either an MPC2000 or MPC2000xl for years (depending on project and studio) and I love the sequencer and the workflow. On top of that I still use an Akai S3000 as a ROMpler.

Seems to me like the MPC4000 is so much Akai all in one box

• MPC workflow with grid and piano roll edit as a bonus
  • Z-series sampler compatible with my existing library
  • Improved connectivity and compatibility with modern computers (USB, IDE, plug in a keyboard, .wavs etc)
  • Can sample during playback and loads of other features over earlier models
  • Etc etc

So why wouldn't I get an MPC5000 instead or an MPC2500 with JJOS or an MPC Live even?

It just seems to me that they hit a sweet spot with the MPC4000 ... or am I just tripping? :hmmm:
By JUKE 179r Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:47 pm
Lampdog wrote:A lot of people start with **** UP sounds to begin with and you just can't polish that up.

Like we used to say in the military... You can’t polish a turd. :lol: