Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By cleansocks Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:03 am
I contacted AKAI to see if they were willing to release the source code. As silly as that sounds and as improbable as it is they actually do, I figured they were not doing anything with 4000, in regards to updating or re - releasing a new version so I had to ask.
By Grouphome Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:38 am
cleansocks wrote:I contacted AKAI to see if they were willing to release the source code. As silly as that sounds and as improbable as it is they actually do, I figured they were not doing anything with 4000, in regards to updating or re - releasing a new version so I had to ask.

Would be dope if they released the source codes. So we could possibly make a new firmware.
By NearTao Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:24 pm
They'd need to release source, build tools, possibly build machine spec, possibly get licensing/permission from third party companies... and a ton of other legal headaches it can be a huge mess. Worst problem is that most companies have little to no financial incentive to do this. I suppose somebody could look into decompiling the firmware, but I understand it has some kind of encryption/checksum on it, so it would require somebody who knew how to create their own decompiler and build chain, figure out the encryption/checksum scheme... etc...
By wavejockey Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:41 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:
cleansocks wrote:so basically unless you have an in with the AKAI guys or Linn himself, then you're SOL in even attempting something close to Vailixi or JJOS

From what I know the 4000 was built by a different team and from it looks like they didn't turn over OS when In-music purchased Akai Pro. Maybe it's out there somewhere in JAPAN, never heard a company deleting an entire OS.

especially not Japanese people/engineers

i will be in Japan (tokyo) in December - who should i address? Where should i go ?
By Lovethe4000 Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:39 am
Jawbrizza wrote:@wavejockey I like your ambition but you’d have similar odds of success just knocking random doors and hoping for the best

Greetings all,

This is my first post! Finally decided to make an account after years of snooping around this forum :lol: I have used the 4000 for many years. I currently live in Japan. I totally agree with Jawbrizza. It’s extremely difficult to get any type of information/repair service for this particular unit in Japan... I can’t imagine where you would even start as far as getting information for the software. Very ambitious indeed... but I love the idea!
By VARB Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:32 am
Hi there, same here with the be OS. I wouldn't change 1.71 heavily but here are some things I noticed and please let me know if some of these things already exist.

Reading mp3 format
Found an old hard drive with many gigabytes of mp3 music from the 2ks. Would have loved to use them

Include metronome rate in Autofile
Tried everything, didn't work. I love my metronome being on 1/8 but whenever I restart the mp it's back to 1/4.

Assigns Region to already pre created Programm.
Let's say I sample something and slice it into 8 or 16 regions. To than choose the Programm preferred to have these slices in would be great. Usually always sample melody's and vinyl in mono/ one mute groupe and one shot (zone all)
It's like 4-5 clicks one could save.

Autoplay in audition
When I scroll down the samples in my library to have an autoplay on instead of pushing the audition button each single time

Audition while playing a sequence
Unfortunately the mp does not audition a sample while it's playing a sequence.
That would be great!

Use the enter button to select.
Sometimes after scrolling around somewhere I always instinctively use the enter button to get into a file. That would be great to have that as an alternative to the select button bellow the screen.

A quicker way to get to the metronome
Haven't figured a good way yet. On the mpc 60 it's just a Button.
By bizon Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:03 pm
Hi Folks!
Quite interesting topic, but the first question is: what would you like to actually change? I personally think OS 1.71 is really good and only newer MPCs are more powerful than 4000 in therms of editing options.
By Lovethe4000 Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:24 pm
Somethings I would add / update: ( if these are already possible please let me know)

Flexible effects routing: I would like to be able to route.. for example: Effect A to D or B to C. Currently we can route A to B and C to D. Just feel like it would be faster and more convenient without the need to resample. I wouldn’t mind being able to assign more than 2 effects to a sound as well.

Remove sample from pad : Once a sample is assigned to a pad, I would like to remove that sample from the assigned pad without having to scroll through every sample before being able to clear the assigned sample from the pad. It would be nice go to the KGMIX page or Edit page and select the pad, then hit the open window button and remove the sample from the assigned pad. All without deleting the sample from the memory of the MPC.

Audition while sequence is playing: This was mentioned previously. I would also love to be able to audition a sound from the drive as my sequence is playing.

Live Looping: This is self explanatory.

Tracking out via USB: Would like to be able to use the back USB “Host” port or the front port as a method of tracking out to my DAW. As ADAT boards are almost impossible to find and damn near the price of the MPC 4000 itself... this would be very useful.

Copy from HD to USB: In the Utility page it would be very useful to copy or move folders from the HD to the USB drive and vice versa using a drag and drop method.

These are just a few things I can think of at the moment... what would everyone else like to see?
By wavejockey Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:55 am
if you select notes or other MIDI information in the grid/list edit and perform an (change/alter) action, that selection is discarded (the selection is voided), so you need to make the selection again if you want to perform another change operation - keeping the selection 'active' is my main gripe/change