Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Sinius Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:42 am
Usermanual site: 4
"[USB] connector (slave): This connector allows the MPC4000 to be connected to a computer (Win- dows/Macintosh) for file transfer or remote control."

and site: 6
"[USB] connectors are provided on the front panel and the rear panel of the MPC4000.
The rear [USB] connector (slave) can be connected to a USB-equipped computer (Windows or Macintosh), allowing you to control the MPC4000 from an editing program."

I tried Ableton and Audacity on iMac 2015 ElCapitane via a USB-hub
First the MPC is not recognized by the computer and vice versa :-(

Does anyone have a clue how to make this work!?
Thank you very much!
By Telefunky Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:31 pm
It doesn‘t do anything on it‘s own, but needs a „driver“ installed (a kernel extension in OSX).
The communication software is aksys, essentially a remote controller and storage manager.
Here are some details: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=170093

Official latest version was for Snow Leopard (10.6) because after that Rosetta support ceased. I‘ve had this working on a MacMini, but Aksys would crash on certain mouse clicks (open folder or something like that).

In MacOS 9.2 operation is flawless, but some trouble with large amounts of data (multiple CDs) in one go. Some files were skipped, dunno if that was USB or software based.

The link above gives a good overview including virtual machines.
By Sinius Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:48 pm
Hi,
ok, i know Aksys

but what made me ask this question is the wording in the manual: it didn´t speak of Aksys,
instead of "an edeting program"

So i thought there is a different way to go i will not miss.
By Telefunky Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:56 am
The editing software mentioned in the manual is almost certainly Aksys ;)
When they wrote the manual it probably didn‘t even exist yet, but was planned.
I never found anything else software related to the 4k :hmmm:
By Sinius Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:01 am
On the front there is a USB connection too and its great that you can use there a USB-stick and its get recognized by the MPC as a port.
I wonder if you could make a connection straight to the computer!? Funny cable though :-)
By Telefunky Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:45 am
The different shape of the connector indicates different functionality:
the quadratic one on the back makes the MPC „visible“ to a computer (host) as a USB device
the flat one on the front is to connect USB devices to the MPC as a host

Host/device functionality is negotiated by software, the 2 serial lines (send/receive) are identical ;)