Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By repeatle Mon May 18, 2009 10:08 am
Hello,

I've searched this forum and other places for help. Still, I can't find anything regarding WHERE to install the RAM.
I can't find the slots for it. I opened the top of the 4000 (that side where all the pads etc are located). Didn't help.
I guess you should open it from the bottom, right? There's so many screws and not that easy to understand which ones
to remove. Any help would be much appreciated!

I'm not a MPC noob, but I've never tried the 4000 before. I've had five (!) MPC-1000's and I still got two of them.

Thanks a lot,

Andreas
By Mark Price Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:14 am
Hi guys,

I've bought 2x256 Kingston CL2 256 non-ECC on ebay (HERE) but when i've tried to put them in the 4k, it says that there's only 272 Mb installed eventhought the 2 bars were inside each slot and there is distortion on the samples.

I don't know if there's a problem with the memory or why my MPC specificaly?

PS : excuse my poor english, I'm french.

Thanks for your advice.
Last edited by Mark Price on Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Mark Price Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:34 am
The bars I've bought are this ones : HERE but I've read on this forum that the correct reference is KVR133X64C2/256 or my bars have this refernce : KVR100X64C2/256.

Do you think it can be the reason why the bars aren't working?

I've forgotten to mention that my 4k was from the first series sold as I bought it in may 2002. Maybe it's the reason of the problem?
By adrian Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:27 pm
Mark Price wrote:The bars I've bought are this ones : HERE but I've read on this forum that the correct reference is KVR133X64C2/256 or my bars have this refernce : KVR100X64C2/256.

Do you think it can be the reason why the bars aren't working?

I've forgotten to mention that my 4k was from the first series sold as I bought it in may 2002. Maybe it's the reason of the problem?

Hello Mark, the memory module you bought should work. What I suggest, is try only one stick of memory at a time, try it in both slots. You might have a bad stick of RAM.
By Mark Price Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:35 am
Hi Adrian,

I've just tried what you've told me to do and the samples still doing strange things when I play them.
For example, I've loaded a sample A (it sounds weird).
Then, I've turned the unit off and after changing the memory bar from one slot to another, I've loaded a sample B. And when I tried to play the sample B, a part of the sample A was playing along with sample B and then the sample A cutted off and only sample B was playing.
It's curious because the MPC has no rom where you can store sounds when the unit is off.

I don't know what to do. IMO, my unit is damaged and that's why memory don't work.
By adrian Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:56 pm
Did you try loading sounds without using any of the RAM installed? Just try using the on board 16MB. perhaps that RAM is just not compatible after all. :?:
By Mark Price Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:34 pm
I've tried to load sounds only with the 16 Mb on board and it works fine.
When the extra memory is installed, the MPC goes crazy (there's distortion in sounds, the pads don't respond fine,...).
I'll return the memory to the seller and try another time with another memory bars.
Otherwise, I'll buy another sampler like an ASR 10. In this way, I'll got another 16 bit sound.

Thanks for all guys.