Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000

By Gigaton Mon Dec 30, 2002 2:37 am
Do any of you use the 4000 in conjunction with your computer, rocking the full screen? What do you think about the layout and how is the sequence editor functioning compared to software sequencers(i.e. cakewalk, logic, etc...)?????? Once you knock out some beats, Can you-get in and mouse around to fine tune? Name ####? Move or eliminate single notes easily? Repeat functions? let me know what you cats have been feeling about the sequencer and it's sophistication, or lack thereof. I was about to go to Logic but I'm an MPC head. So if the full screen sequence editing implementation is actually helpful and competitve, I would love to stick with akai. let me know.

By earthmorphosis Mon Dec 30, 2002 9:00 am
I have to admit that I'm not sure about this one.  But, since I use a Mac, I dont think there is even a program avalible yet that will turn the 4000 into a 'Soft'-Hard sampler-even though there is a picture of a computer with such a program on the monitor next to a 4000 in the Akai advertisments.  Just like many other things about the 4000 that have been promised, we are still waiting.  But I for one  believe strongly in Akai's comitment to making the best beat-makin machines in the world.  So, keep the faith-the 4000's exterior is finished and released, but the internal brains are still being worked out.
You should go to a music store (if you have not already) and check this thing out.  It is pure MPC to the core... and much more.  I used a 2000 for about 3.5 years and I also use Pro Tools.  I use the sequencer in Pro Tools mainly for keys.  Its easier to strech and shrink note length on a computer.  I use the MPC strictly for beats.  But even without a 'soft' MPC4000 program (yet),  this machine has a much better sequence editor than the other MPC's.  Thats because it has a much bigger screen and has a piano scroll type grid mode (press 'SEQ EDIT' button) that is similar to a sequencer on Logic or Pro Tools....it kind of reminds me of the scroll on my first drum machine-the Yamaha RY30. And yes, you can hook up a usb keyboard (ABC type) and name everything quickly.  You can do this without a computer, and it is instantly online once you plug it in--just hit 'Return' on the keyboard... Dont jump ship MPC-BRO, this machine  is pure Akai for the 2K. And NO, I dont work for them-just with em.

:;):[/color]

By Gigaton Mon Dec 30, 2002 8:44 pm
I was looking a little deeper and appearently the 4000 can slave to or from(I'm not sure which) ak.sys which gives you the ability to use an external sample editor and some mixer windows. peep:
midiworld.com/synth/ akai/300115. html
Do any of you cats use this software? is it helpful? I know Logic will blow doors on just about any sequencer, but I'm a hiphop head and I need an intuitive centerpiece to run my MPC 60II and SP1200. Right now I use the 2000xl which works well but is still limiting to me. So either the 4000 which looks crazy nice but cost bank. Or Logic which is inexpensive and can rock whole screenfuls of info.  I'm thinking of just getting the akai MPD16 usb drum pad interface and working like that, But if the feel is way different.....shoot if any body cares to chime in on the pro and cons of either system please do. I'm sort of in limbo at the moment. How's the learning curve between the 2000xl and the 4000? Alot of info to ask, I know, but this next step is going to be my system for the next few years. So I think this discussion is important. If anybody can refer me to better information that would be helpful as well. thanks[/color]

By Gigaton Mon Dec 30, 2002 9:31 pm
I was looking a little deeper and appearently the 4000 can slave to or from(I'm not sure which) ak.sys which gives you the ability to use an external sample editor and some mixer windows. peep:
Do any of you cats use this software? is it helpful? I know Logic will blow doors on just about any sequencer, but I'm a hiphop head and I need an intuitive centerpiece to run my MPC 60II and SP1200. Right now I use the 2000xl which works well but is still limiting to me. So either the 4000 which looks crazy nice but cost bank. Or Logic which is inexpensive and can rock whole screenfuls of info.  I'm thinking of just getting the akai MPD16 usb drum pad interface and working like that, But if the feel is way different.....shoot if any body cares to chime in on the pro and cons of either system please do. I'm sort of in limbo at the moment. How's the learning curve between the 2000xl and the 4000? Alot of info to ask, I know, but this next step is going to be my system for the next few years. So I think this discussion is important. If anybody can refer me to better information that would be helpful as well. thanks[/color]

By Gigaton Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:03 pm

By Gigaton Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:08 pm
Apologies for the multiple posts! Not sure how that happened but I have another question. How are you guys dealing with the 16 levels problem that I've heard about? And I also have heard that the CD Burning function update has officially dropped, so you should be able get to ripping discs offa your 4000. I might wait till they get the 16 levels figured out, unless it's hella easy to program with Ak.sys Any word on that? holla[/color]

By earthmorphosis Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:42 am
Check my response to Solardigital's post...Yes, you can have 16 layers of pitch![/color]