Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Fleshhologram Tue May 05, 2020 1:42 pm
Hey, had my 4K about a month now and still struggling pretty bad. This is the first mpc I’ve had and the learning curve is proving to be a little rough. I’m trying to sample loops off a loop station to the 4K and program drums. I’ve got drum samples and loops sampled but getting them both on a track is throwing me for a loop. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, after I’ve got my drum samples on the mpc they’re always pitched much lower. Positive this is an easy fix but keep going back to the manual and not getting it.
By Lampdog Wed May 06, 2020 4:41 pm
Pitched lower, drums samples come from computer?
Sample rate problem maybe. Check the sample rate. Check the manual for sample rate specs info.

Looping, is a trial and error thing, Diff loops need different attention so you’d have to experiment.
I’d record simple drums first, no loop. Afterward I’d get the loop to play along in timing with the drums, THEN remove the drums if you like. That way the loop is in time with the 4k timing just as the drums were. You can continue to build after that.
By NearTao Wed May 06, 2020 5:58 pm
+1 to what Lamp said...

A key thing to remember is that looping is as much an art as it is science... what is technically correct may sound like garbage... while what is janky can sometimes create some of the most dope beats. Use your ear, it will tell you what works and what does not.

The most important thing is to practice... a lot of folks come here asking questions looking for quick answers... and usually there aren't any quick solutions to provide. It takes some time to learn, and it sounds like you're trying. Just keep at it, and if things feel tough try a different approach.