Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000

By Blue Haze Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:57 pm
Using regions and edit and extract parts, notes, and riffs

Sample -based tips

Quote from DJ kool Akeim loop the loop over a period of time (1 to 2 days) in order to pick out all the different parts and pieces and elements that you never really heard before. This way you get to hear stuff that musicians didn`t try to put in there." After that use the region to find the parts and turn to edit page go to extract page set it to region and extract it and assign to a pad one shot or no loop and replay all the parts into a new loop how according to how you feel. It can help with chopping loops more efficiently. :D

By Blue Haze Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:46 pm
Small tip I dig on this sound. check out that amp env att function in q-link i don`t know all the specifics, but it`s phat as fu** on the drums gives them more bounce. Maybe my man reveal can post some info. I didn`t find alot on it in the reference manual how about everybody else.

:D

I believe its Amplitude Envelope Attack. :D

By Reveal Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:28 pm
lo,
yeah thats right haze':)'

QLinks let you control the internal sampler & external midi equiment in realtime , also u can use the qlink sequecner(qlink sequence) to program the qlinks movements in sixteenth steps etc..

The qlink knob/slider settings in Qlink setup are stored within a multi but Qlink sequence settings are stored within the currently selected sequence so u can use them as part of a sequence and song.

In qlink receive u can use the qlinks on parts and fx.
To assgin the fx to a qlink u move the cursor to highlight PART and move the jog dial to the right.

In the receive(f1) page the setups relate to which parameter is to be controlled when the qlink is used / when the information recorded is played back.
The send page(f2) sets the information sent when the sent when the Qlink knob/slider is operated.

so u use the receive page to route qlinks to Fx/parts and assign a parameter for use.

The part/FX field sets the part or fx number to be controlled.

The assign parameters are different for parts and fx,and this is what parameter is going to be controlled.

Type can either be offset which means the value can either be a positive or neagative value relative to the current setting,
Or replace which means the value will change according to the movement of the knob/slider regardless of the current setting.

the range sets the amount of change than ca be controlled from the Qlink

the cntrl field sets the contol change number that a external midi conroller can use and the midi field sets the midi channel that the control messages will be received.

I find its best to record all qlink data on to empty/separate tracks when using the receive page and control changes.

In the send page(f2) set transmit Qlink event if u want to record a performance using the settings in the receive page(f1)

u can send control changes to external devices by changing transmit to ctrl change and selecting a number and setting range,the output channel of the control change will be set by the selected track in the main page.

also u can transmit pad contol to the selected rack in the main page,
while in the qlink block push the pad u want to control and the note number will change to this pad,then assign a parameter.
Pad control does not give the option to offset or replace,as far i can tell it is set to replace.
also u can record a pad control and reassign the qlink when using the send page.

To view or edit your recorded data go to seq edit/step edit and change the view to qlink,pad control,crtl change and select note/channel.

The active buttons for the qlinks are coverd in addendum 1.30 page 3 and on.

the last page in addendum 1.33 covers send page a lil

addendums,in some of the early ones menus and terms have been changed but theres still a lot good info,

http://www.forat.com/Downloads/MPC%2040 ... anuals.zip

http://www.akaipro.co.jp/jp/datalib/dow ... kad120.zip

http://www.akaipro.com/int/download/mpc4kad145.zip

':idea:'

By aaron Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:37 pm
hmm i read this entire thread. I've learned alot, I think this thread is a great idea. thanks guys

But i have another newbie question. im sure others have asked in the past when they first got the machine

I load up a sound assign it to a program assign the sound to a pad on the program but i go to the main screen and no sound.... and i go to the "part" section and the program doesnt appear... im lost
can anyone help out here

peace

By Blue Haze Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:03 pm
On main page on to track next to part highlight the part number press the window button now you can assign the program to the part number and press do it. :D Also you can go to the multi page press kG mix page and go down to the part number you want and turn the jog wheel to assign the program.

Go luck!!

By Blue Haze Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:05 am
Small tip before making a beat assign all the sounds into the same program if you can to make a kit to build into. Go to the program page and tune the individual sounds bass, piano, vocals and others into the same musical key. Now chop that long loop into sections if need be to sequence. Make sure that everythings in the same key. :D

By DNB Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:48 pm
Hi you all!!

it'll be great if you post a tip about syncing the mpc to a software sequencer such the steinberg nuendo for example.
i want the mpc to play the tracks i make with it at the same time as the tracks made with the nuendo(from a vst plug in).i'm lost in this s**t, i've read the manual but couldn`t understand (worldclock, time code...which to use?)

my idea is to add tracks played with vst plug-ins to the mpc, and then pass all the mpc tracks as audio files to nuendo in order to mix them (reverbs, eqs..etc)

i think that a tip about all of this (conections, routings...) will help a lot of newbies like me.

thanks to all

By ikke Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:16 pm
Blue Hazes tips:

Basics of the Main Mode aka Sequencer Page for anybody:

This is very basic and if one don`t think to much it is very easy to operate.

The main page is divided into five blocks each with different editing functions. Each blocks editing function can be reached by using the window button. Always remember to press the yellow window button!!!

Five blocks Position bar, Now block, Sequence block, Track block, and the Simul Play block.

A. The position bar block shown your loop region, punch in point, and punch out point when auto punch and loop regions are enabled.

B. The Now Block which you can locate the measures, bars, and ticks in a sequence and the time (use this button with the goto and step and bars keys). Also change the T/C and add swing, and shift a track or note. Last you edit the metrodome clicks.

C. The Sequence block has seq number to edit name, delete, copy, and copy parameters and etc look it up. Also Tempo which can be edit with tempo change and all (master tempo, individual tempo per seq) . The loop sequence which can edit which regions in the sequence to loop or not. Bars which is meat of the MPC sequence which you can edit, copy, delete, paste, and insert bars iinto all tracks in the sequence. ON ALL MPC MODELS IT has been done this way. Time Signature is where you can edit the number of ticks in a bar 1/4, 3/4, 7/8 and etc per bar in the Sequence. Remember that a bar aka measure is all tracks in the Sequence. Auto punch edit , Sync edit, and transopose edit. The main thing is remember is this BLOCK edit all the tracks is your sequence.

D. The Track Block has track number to edit , erase, copy,paste and name change. You can change the type of track from drum to instrumental for editing. Insert a program change in the track. Change the transpose of an instrumental track. Edit the duration and velocity of notes in the entire individual track. Mute the track, watch the midi events in the tracks with IN and Out window. Change the input and output of midi notes in the track also merging a second input and output of midi notes. All tracks are INDIVIDUAL which is why the Track block shows one track at a time. You can only edit one track at a time from this block. If you use step edit or seq edit you are only editing the one track. If you want to edit many instruments at the SAME TIME YOU HAVE TO RECORD EVERYTHING ON THE SAME TRACK it is very, very basic. The track block is were midi notes, controller events(qlink, pitch bends, and external messages are recorded). I repeat their all no audio recorded in the tracks blocks only midi notes assign to the pad which triggers audio in the internal sampler or sends out the midi notes to an external sound module, sampler or your momma`s vibrator. Forget about using the Track block or Seq edit or step edit ( really track editor) as a digital audio editor like pro tools, logic and others. Recording on individual tracks alouds you to set individual midi in and out channels for the same instrument or different instruments.

Finally the simul Play block which lets you play two sequences together and have the next sequence play when the first sequence end. If you have a short drum loop of two bars on Seq 1 and a long 4 to 8 bars in Seq 2 you can set this function on and they with both play together in sync (Set the master tempo button first) just like a Triton but with only 2 loop plays.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS remember to push that window button to see the extra functions beneath the main screen. akai should really rename the seq edit to track edit and included more info on the bars edit just like in the 2KXL manuals and the 3K but for some reason they skim over it in the 4K. Must be because they didn`t think many entry level users were going to pick it up. Anyways if you want to really know about the MPC sequencers pick up the earlier series of the MPC manuals and study the sequence sections from the MPC 60 to the 2KL the 4K isn`t that much difference. But the resolution of 960 oppose to 96 per quarter note less anyone see that the 4K is tighter as getting your notes as close to how you played it. If you **** up go to Seq I mean Track edit or Step edit move the cursor and hit the pad. Think of ppqs as pixels on your monitor or camera the more pixels you can have the more detailed the picture can be. Same for the 4K resolution the 960ppq gives you a more detailed placement of the notes.

That is it for now and watch out for the BS on the net with mofos crying and hollaring about some **** that not in the mPC functions and trying to use the machine as a DAW Digital Audio Workstation. This is a midi workstation with a sampler not Logic, PT, FL and other which are great and use audio loops in the tracks. The MPC uses straight up midi in the tracks that is it. All editing to the audio has to be done in the Sample Page within the Trim/loop page if you get the sample right there or **** it up you can`t fix the audio in the Main Page or Track edit page only the midi notes. Once more there are no audio tracks in the MPC series never has been, but the future will tell. Get your mind right and the beats will flow. MIDI PRODUCTION CENTER aka MPC aka MIDI PRODUCTION CONTROLLER with pads and a build in sampler. The midi notes are not audio just note on and note off signals.

By glide Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:22 pm
okok I'll see if I can't spit this spliff outof my moth and write something ..

everybody should get familiar w the locate comands, they come in handy fexample: if u need to find a note fast in a track: press seq edit, press the pad/note while the cursor is in the grid window (to select that note) then hold down "go to" and press bar Frw/Brw to locate that note that's closest2u

make dubblepkit programs, so say that one pattern might play yur gitar kit w FX&Filters another one dry or however you want to spice it up, it's always nice to have copies of programs they hardly use ram as the program itself is only parameter data they share the same samples

to create fxample a authentik snare sound it's good to layer for different version of that snare and assign them w dif velocity and let a random lfo modulate zone select, thus giving each snare hit a slightly dif hit/sound also u can slightly modulate each zone start&filter value wich is also great for giveing sound a litlle variation "live" feel or is that "MPC" feel ;)

to find a track fast (I'm sure everyone knows this but I'm sure that the one preson that didn't will be pleaed to know this) press part mute find that track on the mute screen solo it then press main and your at that track

and here's: recycle on wheels: take say a one bar drum loop: make four copies of that sample, assign each sample to differnet pad, make each pad one shot and belong to the same mute group, align the sample on each quarter note in a one bar seq (matching the tempo of the loop, in case u had no idea), then go into sample trim (monitor must be multi or prgm) and adjust the start time/end time of each sample in realtime while the seq plays your chops... this is just the consept you can do any variation of this suited to you and your sample

By adrian Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:16 pm
The questions of how do I install the Options on the MPC comes up quite a bit, so I thought I would give a few quick details on this subject.

1. Make sure to use antistatic precautions, avoid wearing synthetic fibers (polyester, acrylic, and silk, even though silk is not synthetic it does cause static electricity). Do not stand on carpet.
2. To rid yourself of any static charge, touch the metal case of your computer while it is on.
3. Do not have any liquids near you.
4. Touching any of the electronic components is bad. The natural oils in your fingers can ruin the circuitry.
5. Use caution opening the MPC, cables can become disconnected.
6. When you finish installing any options make sure to check all connections inside to the MPC, they can come loose if you lift the lid to high.

MEMORY

What type of memory do I install?
The MPC 4000 uses 256MB PC100 or PC133 CL2 168 pin DIMM.

What brands work with the MPC 4000?
Kingston and Unigen are two that I know of.

What is the maximum amount of memory the MPC can have installed?
512MB

Is it hard to install the memory?
No. Just make sure to handle the DIMM by the sides. The DIMM needs a firm push into the slot labeled "Bank 1" or "Bank 2" located on the right, inside the MPC. Before you screw the unit back together turn on the MPC to see if the MPC recognizes the DIMM. Press LOAD, on the bottom left side of the screen it should say 272MB or 512MB installed, depending on the amount you install.

INSTALLING THE OPTION UPGRADES

How do I install the IB-4D? (Digital I/O and Wordclock)
The ribbon cable on the IB-4D connects to the slot labeled P3 on the MPC's CPU board.

The thin gray cable connects from the IB-4D slot labeled P1 to the CD R/W drive Digital In. (if your CD-R/W Drive supports Digital in).

The green Cable connects from the IB-4D slot labeled P2 to the IB-4ADT board labeled P1 DIO. (If you have the IB-4ADT board installed.)

Before closing up the MPC turn it on, go to the GLOBAL menu, press CONFIG (F3) That menu will show if the MPC recognizes the option board.

How do I install the IB-48P? (8 analog outs)
The ribbon cable on the IB-48P connects to the slot labeled P2 on the MPC's CPU board.

Before closing the MPC turn it on, go to the Global menu, press CONFIG (F3) That menu will show you if the MPC recognizes the option board.

How do I install the IB-4ADT? (ADAT)
The ribbon cable on the IB-4ADT connects to the slot labeled P4 on the MPC's CPU board.

The Green wire cable connects from the IB-4ADT slot labeled P1 DIO to the IB-4D slot labeled P2. (If you have the IB-4D installed.)

Before closing up the MPC turn it on. GO to the GLOBAL menu, press CONFIG (F3) That menu will show if the MPC recognizes the option board.

Please be aware that installing the option upgrades yourself can void your warranty, and if you screw up your MPC the repairs can be expensive. So, if your not comfortable doing it yourself contact an authorized Akai Service Center. That or bring it to me and I'll do for half the price.

Adrian
Last edited by adrian on Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

By aaron Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:20 pm
Setting up a MIDI keyboard to scale samples

*take MIDI cable plug into "Keyboard Out" on MIDI Keyboard
*take end of MIDI cable plug into "MIDI IN" on MPC4000

*turn MPC4000 on
*Load up Instrument select "NEW PGM" > choose Keygroup
*"ADD PGM"

*Select MULTI*
*Choose part 1 as the Instrument keygroup

The Instrument will be scaled across the board according to pitch
Keyboard will also be velocity sensitive if it is able to

From there each track can contain a different Keygroup as long as it is set up in "parts" in the MULTI section

For example you can have a BASS keygroup for track 1 and a Piano Keygroup for track 2

To test your MIDI Keyboard you can go to "MIDI > Events" and each time you trigger a key the MIDI information (velcoity, pitch,duration,key etc) will appear on screen

By aaron Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:21 pm
posted that twice by accident damn comp is buggin out
By aprim Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:53 pm
Ok

To change the Banks and Patch selections works like this
Open the window on patch selection,

Turn on Bank select
Set The MSB
Set the LSB

How do you know what the midi module MSB or LSB is?
Check your manual of the bank you want to control
The EMU mods are like this
Bank Selet ON
MSB 0
LSB 1 THROUGH 4 (change in between all 4 banks ABC@D)
Exit out of the window and scroll through the sounds.
All EMU mod work the same

My Virus C works the same as The EMU
Banks Select ON
MSB 0
LSB 1 THROUGH 4 (ABCD)

My Roland works like This
Bank Select ON
MSB 80 through 85
LSB 1 through 5

I change expansions through the MSB
And Banks through the LSB

If your unit comes up with not installed its because your trying to
access a slot that has no expansion mod in it.
Like if you have a protuess and your trying to control but you pick
a expansion slot thats has no rom.

When you save your seq, it will call up all the right patchs next
time you load it. Works perfect and it really makes a diffrence.
Check out the manual of the unit you want to control it will give you
the correct MSB and LSB to work with.

Good luck and it works perfect.
Anthony
By aprim Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:54 pm
I set up the Q-LINK Slider and nob to control the pan and volume of
all my external midi gear. This works great he's how to do it for
everyone that hasnt got it to work yet.

Using Q-LINK
* Enable the Q-LINK SETUP key
* Press F2 (SEND)
* For the selected Q-LINK knob or slider, set Transmit to CTRL CHANGE
* Set the Ctrl number and Range
Back in the MAIN screen, using the Q-LINK knob or slider will send
the selected controller to the Part or MIDI OUT/Channel of the
current Track.
Of course, it can also be recorded on the track in real-time.

I set the conrtol to 7 on the nob for pan and 10 on slider for volume
**check your documents to see what the control change for your gear
is**

This allows me to make changes in real time and record all the midi
gear I have. Its a great feature I over looked for a long time.