Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By TCHARLZ Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:32 pm
Since it's called newbie bible.... where is the sync post?

It's obvious that at least half mpc4k users use pro tools when trackin....
Lots of threads about it but no conclusion and nothing here....common sense is it has to be in this bible.

People seem to have much less issues with logic, so please this is a very specific issue related to 4K AND protools, it would be simpler and more relevant that only people with experience with this particular set up share their knowledge..... otherwise we get caught up in total mess.

I used beatclock to 4k and OMG it's a disaster. NOT RELIABLE AT ALL .....I always used beatclock with 2kxl with no problem....when 4k is already a new gear to learn itself and masterize, It's hard to being forced to change its habits of trackin as well and...

-First and before MTC, let's talk about BEATCLOCK, since it's (basically) the simplest way of syncing. So,

WHO MANAGED TO MAKE IT WITH BEATCLOCK? (sorry for caps, not about being rude but seeable :wink: )
:idea: :?:

CLINT ? WHERE YOU AT ?

By terrellmoragne Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:39 pm
I really appreciate all the info you guys have given. I was interested in learning how to tune a sample in key if needed. I had a problem with a sample when I was in the studio trying to record. The sample loops good and sounds good by ear until you try to get a live piano player to lay some live piano over that sample. The sample is in between keys. How can I fix that problem and still keep the integrity of the sample. I actually speed the loop up from the original record. My engineer keeps telling me about recycle but if the MPC 4000 will do it I would rather go that route. The sample is actually coming from the sampler in my Triton and sequenced with the 4000. I would just have to resample the sample into the 4000. If anybody can help, I would appreciate it. I have learned a lot about the 4000 but I still have so far to go.

Ground Zero

http://myspace.com/projectzeropro

By diegoeskryptic Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:00 am
edit: I found my answer in the manual..

other question: since the MPC can have up to 128 sequences, does that mean you can roughly have up to 128 songs stored?

By foge1 Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:28 pm
Those videos have to be there own sticky they answer most newcomers questions they should definitely be a new users first place stop!
videos are always better than text!

By AWW_NAWW Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:03 am
one of the main drawbacks of this mpc is that seqs dont store thier own pad/part mixer settings something like a snapshot. My work around for this is to record suttle automation movement on the panners and faders. there is no need to do this for the entire lenth of the sequence but just at the very beginning were you'd want the setting to take effect. This way when you go back to an old sequence you dont have to guess what fader was were and how far did you have this panned just run the sequence and all of your parameters will adjust them selves.

Re:

By renegadebliss Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:19 pm
AWW_NAWW wrote:one of the main drawbacks of this mpc is that seqs dont store thier own pad/part mixer settings something like a snapshot. My work around for this is to record suttle automation movement on the panners and faders. there is no need to do this for the entire lenth of the sequence but just at the very beginning were you'd want the setting to take effect. This way when you go back to an old sequence you dont have to guess what fader was were and how far did you have this panned just run the sequence and all of your parameters will adjust them selves.

If you think of "Multi's" as a Snapshot, then it does actually have this.

The Sequences don't store their own "pad/part" mixer settings, as you indicated.
But the Mulit's do. And Multi's respond to Program Changes. So there's nothing
stopping you (I do this all the time) to use a Tracks Program Change to change
the Multi and hence the Part Mixer settings, FX Settings, Q-Link Settings.

So when you use "Next Sequence" and switch sequences/songs, it will switch the Mulit for you (FX, Part Mixer, Q-Link, etc setttings)

So not only can you do the above per Sequence, but you can also do it multiple times within a Sequence.

So you can change on the Fly at any time you want within the sequence the FX Selection, FX Levels, Part Mixer Levels, Q-Link selections, Q-Link Sequences. All you have to do is embedd a Program Change within the Sequence (with Step Edit --> Record Button ---> Insert ---> Program Change) into your sequence at the time that you want these particular items to change.

So this is great if you want specific Mixer and FX settings for the Intro, and then when you get to the
Body of your Song, that the Mixer and FX settings change. You just put a program change to change the particular Multi at the time that the "Body" of the song begins.

Since 1.60 when they fixed the the slow Multi change bug, this has been quite satisfactory. It's
actually one of the 4000's main advantages over the MPC 60, 1000,2000,2500,3000, 5000, MV8000, & MV8800 is the actual concept of Multi's. I've sent requests to Roland to implement something similiar to this on their MV series, as without it, the "Pattern Mode" is useless for somebody who does Live shows,
and can't change FX and Mixer settings. It's also something that I've suggested back to support on the NuKai models, but of course they've ignored it. It has been submitted to Boele (scd) for entering into their Bug database as a user request. But I think the 4000 will be the one and only MPC to have this feature, since it inherrited it from the S and Z series sampler line.

Hope that helps...

Dave

Re:

By renegadebliss Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:26 pm
diegoeskryptic wrote:edit: I found my answer in the manual..

other question: since the MPC can have up to 128 sequences, does that mean you can roughly have up to 128 songs stored?

Yes, 128 or Less. If you use more then 1 sequence to create song, then you will have less.
Also remember that only 96 are availabe with Next Sequence by pads feature. You can
still change to Sequences 97 --> 128 but you have to use the Jogwheel to do that in the
"Main" screen or the Next Sequence area in the TrackMute/NextSeq pages.

Cheers,
Dave
By jay-p Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:06 pm
Just upgraded to thr 4000 from a 1000 at the weekend, and think i've got my head around most things i need at the minute to get up and running. One question i have though is that on the 1000, when i have a group of samples set to one shot/mono/mute group 1- i'd often set a blank pad to the same mute group so i can cut off samples short wherever i want by hitting the blank pad (if you get me). When trying this on the 4000 it doesn't seem that i can use a blank pad to do the same trick.......can this be done, or how can i acheive the same thing?
By AWW_NAWW Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:46 am
Askia Shaheed wrote:The MPC 4000 has 128 tracks per sequence?

yes
Askia Shaheed wrote:What is the maximum number of programs you can load into memory?

at least 128. as far as the max who knows
Askia Shaheed wrote:Can you assign a different program to each of the 128 tracks?

yes
By renegadebliss Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:09 am
Askia Shaheed wrote:How many parts does the MPC 4000 have to assign programs to? (The MV only has 16)

128 parts per Multi, but you can use Program Change to change a Multi, so you can actually use more then 1 Multi
in a Song, so you could theoretically have 4 different Multi's throughout the song each with 128 different parts/programs.
It's all limited by the 512M of RAM memory on the machine...

Askia Shaheed wrote:How many parts/programs can be assigned to each multi? (The manual only shows 12)

128.....see above