Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000

By djkillakraze Thu Jan 02, 2003 3:32 pm
hey i jus got an mpc 4000..first mpc eva..b4 i had a roland ms1 ol skool sampler, but 2 sych 2 loops u had a use a calculator and basically made sure that it was a mutiple of the first loop size.....doing that on an mpc....to sych to differnent loops does it work the same way.  Every time i try to beat mix them...it falls off[/color]

By thynctank Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:43 am
In order to beatmatch two loops, you need first to sample 2 loops that match. If you're doing this with vinyl it's pretty easy. Just make sure you're sampling the same number of bars, and it'd help if the tempo is similar.

Once you have them both perfectly cut to perfect-enough loops, calculate their tempos by entering the number of bars in each loop's sample edit menu, and turn Looping ON. The MPC will calculate the loop's BPM for you automatically, and you can adjust this resultant number indirectly by adjusting the pitch or tone of the sample. The BPM number will change accordingly.

So set each of the loops' BPMs in proximity to one another, and then set the TEMPO and BARS of the sequence in question to match the loops'. Set them to play at the beginning using step editing, and play with the duration parameter until the loops terminate at the proper time, creating a smooth transition from end to beginning.

So basically, this does work the same as your old sampler, just the MPC does the calculation for you.[/color]

By KoolSha78 Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:17 am
djkillakraze wrote:i had a roland ms1 ol skool sampler, but 2 sych 2 loops u had a use a calculator and basically made sure that it was a mutiple of the first loop size....[/color]

Me too!!! The MS-1 and a 4 track were my first production weapons. Hey it was verstatile than the Gemini mixer sampler pad.

I didnt have to do math to sync loops on it though. :;):[/color]