Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000

By cutbeat Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:05 am
no big deal some minor adjustments and backing-up to cd included!still no audition direct of hd!dam! :(

seems like we gotta keep loading things in just to hear them!what a waste!

hope akai get it 2gether soon and i hope i'm not the only one dying for this feature!i had it in my emu 6400 and it saved me hours off my time looking for samples!anyway the mpc4k is the best so they have got me svcked in,now i gotta wait!dam,dam,dam!!!!!!LOL!!!!!![/color]

By earthmorphosis Thu Jan 02, 2003 9:22 pm
I'm waiting for that too- big time.  I have thousands of sounds in my library and need to be able to quickly audition hits so I can get the right sound for the track that I'm working on.  But not only do we need the audition function, we need a quicker way to scroll through long lists of samples and programs.  The jog wheel has its place, but is not very usefull when trying to find one sample in a library of 3000 samples.  My suggestion to Akai is to make it possible to scroll through a list using the Q faders, and also be able to access them using some type of A-Z method-like everytime you curssor down, it jumps to the next letter in the alphabet. Lets email our suggestions to Akai.

I am happy about the new update though.  Unlike others, I think CDRW is much better for backing up important data than zip's.  I already learned the hard way-I lost some major work a couple months ago when I accidentally erased a folder on the HD.  100 hours of work gone in an instant.  I wish I had 1.40 back then.  

My last major complaint is the flawed note-repeat function.  There is still a wierd skip or tripplet sounding thing happening when you first hit a note in repeat mode.  Its like the first note is not being quantized.  The first note is the most important hit!!!  There is no problem like this on my 2000, so hopefully its an easy fix.       AKAI!!!  FIX THIS!!!!

Peace[/color]

By cutbeat Fri Jan 03, 2003 9:54 am
i think thats a good idea about indexing samples as long lists of samples are created!i'll add this to my suggestions as well!i  think anything akai improve on the mpc4k is welcomed although they are taking their time with the advertised features i bought i for!

i've read your kit before earthmorphosis!i aslo run p.tools but with logic as the front end!but since i got the mpc4k i've been programming everthing in there,but i must admit keys are easier programmed in logic!maybe you can help me out here!?the reason i went to the mpc is because of the tightness and stability of it's midi! timing(whether tracked or real time),how does it sound with mpc just for the groove and p.tools for your midi synths?do you notice any movement in timing coming off p.tools?how do you get around swing quantize matching between the mpc and p.tools?do import the groove as a template?most important,do you program your bass in p.tools or mpc?as this is another thing that i think should be tight up against the drums and any inconsistency might make it sloppy comming of p.tools/logic!

thanx[/color]

By earthmorphosis Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:00 pm
I do all my sequenced drums on the MPC, and all melodic key stuf on ProTools.  As for bass, I use both: MPC if its more of a percussive thing and if the sound is a sample as opposed to a sound from another synth or sound module, and bass doesnt usually require complex chords and odd placements.  I'll use ProTools a lot too for bass if its a sound from another sound module other than the 4000.   It sometimes can be a little more human sounding (a little before the beat) which is harder to do on a 4 bar loop in the 4000.  I do use the swing function on the 4000, but not really in Pro Tools.  I usually just play the part over and over until its in the pocket, then copy & paste it.[/color]

By cutbeat Sat Jan 04, 2003 6:16 am
thanx for your response earthmorphosis,i've been tosing up which way to go but i thought nevertheless i'll do everything in the mpc4k for a few months as this will help me learn the mpc4k features even though it slowed down my production for the record companies quite a bit!ha ha ha!the interesting thing maybe for you is!i remember a few years ago i had the mpc swing templates for logic(don't know if you can import them into p.tools),if i get them back would you be interseted in me sending you a copy!

also in logic i can create the swing templates of the mpc4k and save them as midi files which you could import into p.tools!might help you out matching nice swingy perc synth stuff with the mpc4k and p.tools!when i get some free time i will do this for myself anyway so if you are interested just let me know!

thanx again! cutbeat[/color]

By earthmorphosis Sat Jan 04, 2003 10:01 am
Yeah, I would definitely be interested in experimenting with templates...I have not done so yet.  I dont know if it will work with Pro Tools, but I plan to get Logic sometime this year once Pro Tools upgrades the drivers to OSX.  Then I will hopefully be able to run the Logic OSX version with my Digidesign hardware.  In the mean time I'll try it if you send something my way. I use a MAC..
Peace[/color]

By cutbeat Sat Jan 04, 2003 10:48 am
no problems earthmorphosis i'll look into it in the next couple of days!i'll also boot up p.tools and see if it's possible!(it should be).

p.s.don't know if you've used logic before but i think it's da bomb i love it!i've used em all!

take care![/color]