Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By officialbeatz Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:00 pm
I brought some new pad sensors for my mpc4000. when i opened it up to install them i notice the connector which the sensor ribbon goes into differs from the videos i've seen with other mpc units. this one is like you just slide it in but it doesn't lock into place. it slips out every single time and i'm 5 seconds from jumping out the window. lol. there is no snap, slide, or lock of any kind. when i removed the other sensors i slid out with a little tug almost like it was glued in there some how. anybody have any tips for me?
By znznzn Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:21 pm
I have done this 20 times already.
You bought the correct replacement foil? There is one guy on ebay who sells new, re-made ones as the original ones are sold out (as most parts of the MPC - that is why I have one 4000 only to take parts out)
This is how it should look: http://cgi.ebay.com/Akai-MPC-2000-XL-30 ... .m20.l1116

The 4000´s sensor is only similar to the MPC 2000/XL/3000/4000, MPC60, MPC60II). Any other model has a different sensor. You have to push it into the slot. There should be a somewhat stabilizing plastic on the end of the strip.
It does not clip. just push it in, then and try the function.

It is a difficult operation.
1. stick the foil to the metal
2. place some sweat shirts in front of you to lay the sensor/metal on it (so that you havbe both hands free)
3. stick the foil in

good luck!

best
Flo
By officialbeatz Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:03 pm
yeah i have the pad sensors. i just need to create some kind of thickness so thatit will stay in there secure. i was thinking some double sided tape on theback part of the ribbon and stuffing it in there. maybe that will work. I'm no akai pro at all. i just took a shot in the dark to save money. rogue music was going to charge me a little over two hundred bucks to repair my non working pads. lucky i took it apart myself and seen that it was a problem this small and inexpensive. thanks for the help though bro!
By hyena Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:35 am
back when i had my 4000 i had the exact same problem..
i solved it takin off the extra plastic from the old sensor, stickin the connector in the plug and then gently pushin the extra plastic in, to fill the gap. without any glue or stuff. do it gently and it will stay there steady as a rock. used it for another year after the change and no problems and then sold it one year and a half ago to a friend of mine who never got problems.
By atestarr Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:00 pm
Bump. You guys just answered my question. FWIW, it looks like the part of the ribbon that goes into the connector is folded over itself to make it thick enough to stay put. I tried using a trace pen to fix the old sensors but discovered the plastic is cracked on the ribbon under one of the traces and when I wiped off the excess trace pen it had dissolved the original traces! So, long story short, ordered another pad sensor sheet from MPC-stuff and a tap tempo button because that became a casualty as well. Late night repairs sessions often end badly in my house.
By Sound Thief Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:51 am
hyena wrote:back when i had my 4000 i had the exact same problem..
i solved it takin off the extra plastic from the old sensor, stickin the connector in the plug and then gently pushin the extra plastic in, to fill the gap. without any glue or stuff. do it gently and it will stay there steady as a rock. used it for another year after the change and no problems and then sold it one year and a half ago to a friend of mine who never got problems.

I tried this but the ribbon still falls out. This might be on account of the thing strip of metal that screws into place over where the ribbon folds under the panel. But still, the thing is still coming loose.

Can somebody please, for my sanity, post a video of the ribbon successfully being set into place?
By Sound Thief Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:53 pm
Sound Thief wrote:
hyena wrote:back when i had my 4000 i had the exact same problem..

I tried this but the ribbon still falls out. This might be on account of the thing strip of metal that screws into place over where the ribbon folds under the panel. But still, the thing is still coming loose.

Can somebody please, for my sanity, post a video of the ribbon successfully being set into place?

Over 2 years later I am still looking for a solution to this probem. Somebody please help
By Telefunky Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:13 pm
You already quoted the solution. There is no other one. :wink:
(the ribbon connector is too thin to make solid contact, so there‘s a small sheet of plastic on the backside to increase pressure)

If you lost the original, cut about 1“ from whatever stiff plastic (not too thin, not too thick) with the exact width of the ribbon.
The original needs quite some force to be pushed in, so there is tolerance for less thick material.