Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000

By KoolSha78 Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:56 am
ok, i sat down at Guitar Center today and played with the 4000 for bout 30 minutes....its nice, its an MPC, but I dont like it, for a hip hop producer who doesnt need all the fancy features, id probably stick with the 60/3000 soundwise and 2000xl all around, the 4000 feels like an unecassary upgrade.[/color]

By freq Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:44 am
It's not about the features boss.  ITS ABOUT THE SOUND.  The 4000 is sonically superior to ANY previous mp.  That's not just an opinion.  It's on paper, too.  Plus, I know what the f*** I'm talkin about.  Would you mix your record at Guitar Center?  I think not.  So how the #### are you gonna be able to tell the difference in sound in there?  If you went to a real studio, with tuned monitors, and banged it on the mains at 10 (or 11 if you have a custom SSL), you would definitely hear the difference.  Pleezeballeevit.

p.s.  If someone got a major record deal, 9 out of 10 times they deserve it.  Okay, maybe 8 out of 10 times. LOL[/color]

By KoolSha78 Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:46 pm
I love how everyone brings up record deals, I DONT CARE, I live in the Frisco boss, if you go to the guitar center out here its like a freaking studio/hangout, tons of ghetto homies at keyboards and MPCs making beats, on slamming speakers, and to me the sound was just plain cold, like a Triton, but if thats the sound you like, more power to you.

I dont know if your getting defensive cause you plopped down 3 geez on one or what but I'm entitled to my opinion with out coming under blast.

And i dont care whats on paper, on paper the 2000XL should sound better than the 60 but it clearly does not, so numberst mean nothing.[/color]

By keyzfame Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:16 pm
it seems like both of yall need to fall back...who really cares...dog you got a mpc 4000 and you like it live with it.  dog you did at one point feel like getting the 4000 but you dont like it...period.....yall cant change what the both of yall feel....and who cares about a record deal....well one might if they pay there bills and feed the fam.....this post is dead put the locks on![/color]

By KoolSha78 Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:47 pm
Agreed.[/color]

By earthmorphosis Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:50 pm
Yeah, just let this thread die please.  The MPC4000 is NOT Bunk!!  Period![/color]

By lex horton Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:28 pm
I took all my tracks over to my 4000 to finish my ep and the sound is so much better. at the end of the day it's 24 bit and if you're building nicely layered stuff then you'll benefit from it, if you're putting the funky drummer over a roy ayers loop then stick with the 2000 or dream about an SP.  The fact that you can have a playable bass or string line with bend portamento and proper filters alone destroys the 2000, get into those filters properly and thats when you get sounds MILES hotter than the 2000 from the same file.
I owned the XL 3 years and used it every day, it was great. I just outgrew it, there's not alot to it after all.

my 10cents

lex[/color]

By freq Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:41 pm
Listen up geeks.  If you make a living making music, whether it be beatmaking/producing or engineering, then you wouldn't be arguing with me.  I got 10 million (yeah, that's right) records under my belt.  People that many of you respect as artists invest a whole lotta money in my ears and opinions.  If you don't want to hear what I'm sayin', then you can keep going to Guitar Center to pretend you're at a real studio.  I'm not tryin to be arrogant, just real.  On my way up, I ran into some people that were where I wanted to be.  When they gave me advice, I listened instead of saying "what I think".  I've noticed that as a big problem for people (amateurs) these days.  I don't own a 4k.  I have a 2kxl.  I wish I had a 4k.  The main reason being (beside the fact that there's no question that it sounds great) that if you're in a situation where you're trying to sell beats that you made on a 16-bit mp (2k,3k,60) to someone who just heard beats from another producer who made his #### on a 24-bit (4k) machine, you're not likely to make an impression on your clients ears.  It's almost guaranteed that the bigger sound will be on the record at the end of the day.  One of the most important things that you should do in today's music is to keep up with technology.  I dare you to walk into a $2000 a day session a with a SP12 or a 808 as your main instrument.  Don't be afraid of change.  ****** don't make it because they don't wanna listen to ****** that already know what's craccin. The funniest part of your post is that you judged the 4k from the HOMIES (lol) makin beats, in a #### store no less. Slammin' speakers at Guitar Center?  IN FRISCO?!  G.C. HOLLYWOOD doesn't have slammin speakers!  I'm talking about MAINS.  You know, like Tads.  Big monitors.  Speakers that reproduce your lows.  Guitar Center doesn't carry #### like that.  You can't buy a SSL at G.C. either, and many other things that comprise to make a real studio.  And that thing about opinions, opinions don't mean #### unless you know what the f*** u talkin bout.  Whoever coined the phrase  "Everyone is entitled to their opinion" was a dumbass who didn't know what they were talking about and got checked by someone who does.  If you go to the doctor with a problem and say, "Well, in my opinion..."  is he gonna listen to you?  #### NO.  Numbers mean nothing?  Numbers are the key to the universe homey.  Read "Billions and Billions" by the late astrophysicist Carl Sagan, and see if that changes your mind.  This thread ain't dead until people stop posting on it.  Don't read it if you don't like it. Ya digg?[/color]

By freq Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:43 pm
Good post Lex.  Everyone raves about the filters on the 4k.  That alone is worth the price of admission.[/color]

By TREV Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:53 pm
IF YOU HAVE 10 MILLION RECORD UNDER YOUR BELT ......WHY DON'T YOU BUY A 4000........   DO YOU LIKE THE 4000, OR DO YOU JUST LIKE THE 3000???  THANKS[/color]

By earthmorphosis Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:04 pm
One of the most important things that you should do in today's music is to keep up with technology.

Amen! Nuf said.... :cool:[/color]

By freq Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:49 pm
Yo Trev - I'm a mixer as it is right now.  I just started making beats a few months ago, so I'm in no rush to get the 4k right now.  Plus, we don't make the money that producers make.  I have a legitimate shot at goin big with my beats since I have deep connects.  My #### iz knockin anywayz.  I've worked with just about anyone you can think of, west and east, and I know what to do.  I'm still learning this machine though, and that's why I'm here.  There's a lot of knowledge on this site when you filter out the nonsense. :cool:[/color]

By TREV Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:07 am
YO,   I AM NOT TRYIN TO DISS....I GUESS THAT ALOT OF PRODUCERS LIKE DRE QUIK.....SO ON....LOVE THE 3000 AN WON'T LIKE TO USE ANYTHING NEW...WHY IS THAT[/color]

By keyzfame Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:12 am
ok all of this is starting to piss me off. ima tell ya why....before i had a mpc i had some b.s. equipment and when i played my beats for some big shot who felt they knew it all. they would tell me get on a mpc...but they would never say i was corny and once they got their head out there azz they see that i wasnt useing the best stuff but still make the people shake it out they knew i was the truth. cause its not what you use its what you do with what you use.....o yea im just like you i need to learn this bad boy( mpc2000xl) but now i got one next time i run into some run and talk beats they ask what im on. you would think anything pro would do so i say "mpc" first thing they say 4000 or 3000. You know what i dont got prove nothing to no one....i get paid for beats too. but that dont matter. i feel this mpc 4000 vs old mpc's war is b.s. man. i only use the mpc for drums mostly.  when i get in my truck they bang just like other drum off someone cd. why am i gona buy a a drum machine for 3500 dollars. if you use samples i can see where you might feel the mpc 4000 is great but i dont i use the keyboard. oyea my boys make beats for the diplomats Cam and them and they use a 2000 xl. who cares. i hate when people talk about there mpc or what they have compare to what some else has as if its ther diiiccck size or something.  just make music and make it the best you can and if you on a mpc 2000 or xl or 3000 or 60 or 4000 just do the #### thing. ride or punk![/color]

By freq Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:35 am
What you say about "It's not about what you use but what you do with it" is true.  But... what you CAN'T do with the old #### you CAN do with the new.  You feel me.  Don't kid yourself.  Until you are proven, you have everything to prove.  If you don't have nothing to prove, then you ain't gettin ahead.  Everyone in the real music biz has an ego and something to prove.  And who the f*** are the Diplomats?  I bet they ain't on Billboard.  I'm talkin about some real #### hure, boss.  Try to write a little more legibly next time, too.  You sound all worked up.

Where did you hear that about Dre and Quik, Trev?  Not true.  Quik is my studio mentor.  I learned a lot about mixing (and engineering) hiphop from him.  I watched this guy bring in his O2R (when they were hot) in a big SSL studio and set it up IN FRONT of the million dollar SSL and did the whole session off of that.  Seemed arrogant at the time, but read paragraph one.  Quik loves technology.  He's a very smart cat.  I haven't seen him in over a year, but I'm positive that he has a 4k.  Dr. Dre sold his SSL to the other Microsoft dude, Paul something.  He bought a Mackie d8b to replace it.  Again, see paragraph one.  Dre is soooo deep in the game that he doesn't have to upgrade ####.  He knows that to stay on top, you gotta keep up with times though.  Dre also hires a lot of different cats to do beats for him.  Many of the beats you hear from him were not made by him.  He's a real producer in the classic sense of the word.  I know that he has a 4k.  Bottom line, you have to be dynamic to stay in the biz.  Don't get set in your ways.[/color]