Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By nyfebeats Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:06 am
Hey guys how are you doing? I have an mpc 4000 i just bought used anyway it wont load past the Start up splash screen. Any ideas on what could be the problem?

please help thanks.
By adrian Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:27 am
Open up the unit and disconnect the Hard Drive. Then try turning on the MPC. If it turns on the problem is a compatibility problem.
By Lil Ray Jr. Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:06 am
i have the same problem. but now my startup screen with the mpc logo dosnt come on. dabmeister, a fellow mpc-forum user got some good tips but before i do brain surgery on my mpc i wanted to get a second opinon .. any other ideas if the hard drive test dosnt work ?
By adrian Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:15 am
Lil Ray Jr. wrote:i have the same problem. but now my startup screen with the mpc logo dosnt come on. dabmeister, a fellow mpc-forum user got some good tips but before i do brain surgery on my mpc i wanted to get a second opinon .. any other ideas if the hard drive test dosnt work ?

Start with the HD first. Then we can go from there.
By dabmeister Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:00 pm
Yeah, I'll co-sign with adrian & lord T on checking your HD. At least you're getting boot confirmation by it showing the startup.

In lil rays situation, his unit doesn't even boot at all. Meaning, more than likely the flash memory has been corrupted (though not written in stone yet, but seems highly probable).
By Lil Ray Jr. Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:59 pm
i took the hard drive out and the cd rom. they both work fine when hooking them up to a pc. so if its my flash mem, is it an easy fix? i make music. not a tec guy.. so forgive me if i say it all looks like wires and comuter chips under the hood of this thing. ???
By dabmeister Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:21 pm
Lil Ray Jr. wrote:i took the hard drive out and the cd rom. they both work fine when hooking them up to a pc. so if its my flash mem, is it an easy fix? i make music. not a tec guy.. so forgive me if i say it all looks like wires and comuter chips under the hood of this thing. ???

I'd get someone who at least services computers if you don't feel comfortable fooling with it. As a rule of thumb, whenever you're dealing with flashing roms and whatnot, proceed with care & always have something to go by on what steps you need to take, especially if it's a one time or once in a while type deal.

Even flashing a new bios for a computer is considered extremely risky. I feel that with the info that's provided in your other thread, you should be able to get that joint up and running.
By Lil Ray Jr. Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:38 pm
i found this company called VST. they work on MPCs im thinking about giving em a call for a quote. theyre not open till monday though :( im only out 300 bucks on it so far. and the guy i bought it from said i can pay the remaining $100 or if i cant get it to work hell give me back my $300. so either way i cant lose. even if it costs me $200 to fix. $600 for a mpc 4000 is a downright STEAL!