Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000

By Gigaton Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:05 am
The saving architecture is quite a bit different from the 2000xl, is there anything important that you vets could hit me with as far as saving goes? Fu@k ups you made, and Fastest ways to save everything. It's still a little bit confusing for me with the multis ect...What steps do you go through to save everything quickly and safely? Have you cats been backing everything up? This dog is off the chain. Reminds me of playing Super Mario as a kid, lots of secrets hidden up in this piece. I think this machine can do some sh*t that used to be only God could fu@k with holla[/color]

By earthmorphosis Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:01 am
On the internal disk the folder with the '\' next to it is the HD root folder.  From there (hilighted) you can creat new folders and save Multis, Programs, Songs, Sounds etc. in to those folders.  To view the content of a folder just curssor to the right to see the contents.  You can also create folders inside folders.  Its really no different than a computer.  Just looks different.  BTW, a Multi is a set of Programs (tagged) and their Part assignments.  In other words in one Multi you can have Program 1 assigned to Part 1, and Program 2 assigned to Part 2.  In another Multi you can have Program 3 assigned to Part 3 and Program 10 assigned to Part 6 and so on.  It will make better sense in the comming days and weeks.  Good Luck[/color]

By earthmorphosis Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:06 am
Oh yeah, back up everything.  Especially at first.  Until you really get the hang of it you may accidentaly delete a folder or save a bunch of stuff to a folder with a bunch of other stuff in it. If you already have it backed up you aint gotta worry.  I'm using CDRW since OS 1.4 came out.  Cheaper and smaller than zip.[/color]

By Gigaton Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:32 am
Thanks Earthmorph. Seems like you the only cat on this board actually using a 4000 on a regular basis and giving help. Is MPC Tutor rockin a 4000 yet? Wonder where the other users at? Be nice to get some more heads in here actually knowin. But listen I appreciate the help big time.

By earthmorphosis Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:23 am
Yeah, I feel like there's not too many 4000 users around here, but I'm just tryin to help out......  Its cool, we are on the cutting edge. :O

In a few days, I'm starting a HUGE project, and wont be able to hit this sight as often as recent.... But I'll still be checkin in. :cool:[/color]

By Gigaton Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:11 am
Hey Tutor I hear you. But for reals this new MPC is the future. I'm curious to know about the programs that you are checkin into but I think you will be missing the number one element if you abandon the MPCs. This furom is dope and I'd be happy to see you aply all your knowledge to the 4000 for the next generation..and ta Earth-mo, I know I'm not the only one appreciating sh*t peace[/color]

By TREV Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:11 pm
Gigaton wrote:Hey Tutor I hear you. But for reals this new MPC is the future. I'm curious to know about the programs that you are checkin into but I think you will be missing the number one element if you abandon the MPCs. This furom is dope and I'd be happy to see you aply all your knowledge to the 4000 for the next generation..and ta Earth-mo, I know I'm not the only one appreciating sh*t peace[/color]

I agree and am thankful for all the help.... the truth is I have 3600 dollars and I am just scared to get the 4000.... I think maybe I should wait 6 months and see how the 4000 does.....I have been saving when the 4000 first came out.... now I just want to make a good decision for me.....  

pro tools 001 and  mpc2000xl....

or jump head first into the 4000......and stay with it till i learn it for a few years.....    one day I'll get the balls to drop the cash... I am not rich, that is why I am looking for the most practical decision......  

with out the help, I would be lost....thanks... And I wish more people had the 4000...anyone know how many 4000's have been sold so far?????     will akia stand by this 4000 over the next few years????   just some thoughts......easy[/color]

By Gigaton Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:52 pm
Hey Trev I've got to tell you, man to man. I rock MPC and Protools as well. I've had every MPC.I am keeping my 60 for sentimental value. I think the 2000xl is dope, but quite honestly the 4000 totaly blows the 2000 away. The Manual is the sh*tiest thing about the 4000. But if you can hurdle that, then you will be amazed of the power inside of this machine, and I swear you will not ever look back. In other words your investment is a safe and worthwhile one. I went to Guitar Center and bargained a bit, ended up copping my 4000 for $2600. This is a full featured model not the LE. The only thing missing for me right now is the analog 8 outs and that will cost me an xtra $220. So Ima order that soon. I cannot complain, this machine is way sicker than I imagined, especially after reading all the negativity towards the machine from all the haterz and nay sayers, that can't afford to own one. Really, they have no clue. Instead they should write essays on: Being broke sucks. At least that'd be honest. My end goal is to be able to do all pre-production work in the 4000 and fine tune my tracks in Logic or DP.[/color]

By KoolSha78 Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:47 am
You gotta send it to Forat for the all black coat. Then you'd be set.[/color]

By earthmorphosis Thu Jan 09, 2003 1:14 am
Even without a Forat custom job, the 4000 is the best looking MPC out of the box yet.  I love the black pads and the purple faders.  Reminds me of that Transformer Jet.   :cool:[/color]

By Gigaton Thu Jan 09, 2003 7:01 am
earthmorphosis wrote:Even without a Forat custom job, the 4000 is the best looking MPC out of the box yet.  I love the black pads and the purple faders.  Reminds me of that Transformer Jet.   :cool:

Hey earth mo I got to respectfully disagree with you on this issue tho....The MPC 60II is the coolest looking MPC...ta H ell with it, drum machine of all time!!! And if I sent my 4000 to Forat for the paint job you can best believe I'd have him brush on the custom logos for me. Yo I'd have him rock the Exotic Hardwood siding and accents. Have my sh*t lookin like the inside of a Brougham Caddy!!!! I'd be on some luxery pimp sh*t none a you kids be knowin bout haha!![/color]

By earthmorphosis Thu Jan 09, 2003 7:57 am
Yo I've seen Forat's work first hand.... it IS wicked for real. I really never liked the beige color of the original MPC's (or any computer for that matter), so I'm just talkin about the 'Out the Box" look.  No doubt, my 4000 would be lookin nice with some polished wood trim, but I have better ways to spend that money....unless wood trim really inspired dope beats, its just waisted $$ that could go to feed starving people ..... :cool:[/color]

By Gigaton Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:25 am
you go robin hood!!!![/color]