Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By dryad-66 Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:23 pm
so....ive accepted the quirks of my mpc 4000(wont boot on 1.72 but is kind of ok on 1.6!!!!Now im trying to put os on my z8 and its stopped loading it half way through.every time i try its stuck there in same place.tried the window shift ect and same.changed usb cable.no ram.it was working ok before.now wont boot up.macbook recognizes it.i can drop the bin file on it.stuck at 48%.thats it.any tricks,key commands,shamanic spells anyone kno of or do i have to throw it in the garbage.cheers in advance dryad-66.....
By gertie Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:29 pm
dont throw it in the garbage...ill take it for free...will pay the shipping of course.... :D
download the os file again...it may be corrupt..the one you have

http://www.akaipro.com/contentmgr/showd ... hp/id/1780

dunno if this is of any help....

OS Update from Disk
The Z4/Z8 can be updated when the drive media with the V1.10 or later
version OS saved is connected to the
Z4/Z8.

Operation

1. Connect the storage media with the "Z48_***.bin" (*** being the OS
version number) OS file in DOS or
ISO9660 format to the Z4/Z8.

2. Select "Z48_***.bin" in LOAD mode and then press DO IT [F6] key.

3. Press DO IT [F5] key when the Load OS Window appears with
the "Load Operating System?" message.

4. The OS Upgrade Window appears with the "Validating the O/S File"
message and checks the OS file.

*An error will be displayed at this point if the file is non-Z4/Z8 OS
file or is corrupted. Try it again with
the proper OS file.

5. When the file check is completed, the "Are you sure you want to
update the O/S to version *.** ?"
message appears. Confirm the version number and then press YES [F5]
key.

6. While updating, the "Erasing Flash Memory" and "Writing OS to
Flash Memory" messages appear.

7. When the OS updating is completed, the "The O/S has been
successfully updated. Please restart." message
appears. Press OK [F5] key to reboot the Z4/Z8.

8. After reboot, press INITIAL [F6] key in UTILITY mode to complete
the OS update.

Note: Do not power off the unit during the OS update process.

pay attention - DO NOT DISCONNECT POWER DURING THE OS UPDATE !!
By dryad-66 Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:55 pm
wow Gertie,you are the dude!!!!!!!!!and quick like lightning......my z8 is up and runnin in how long since my pathetic crying.i went straight to your link,same one i used 20 mins before.must have been corrupted file or sumting...well cheers..still not getting the front panel to work with the lead though.sais z8 panel operating system ver.1.0.393 the male lead has all the pins the femail plug has.
By gertie Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:13 pm
cool you got it working!!

hopefully one day you will get the lastest mpc4000 os working too

yeah, my z8 cable has indentical ends...both have 6 pins and a piece of plastic....aint got no clue where youd pick up one.....

youre probably better off using aksys anyway
By dryad-66 Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:03 am
yeh os 1.60 works very well and no need to upgrade.strange tho.i was loking forward to having the controller(z 8) sitting there independantly.and the machine stashed away.oh well.funny thing tho i was looking for ages for the pad editor while using akays and z8.used to the 4k.well obviously there isnt one.ha ha.is there a way to control aksys with a midi controller.sure there must be huh.ta
By Sovereign Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:52 pm
dryad-66 wrote: still not getting the front panel to work with the lead though.sais z8 panel operating system ver.1.0.393 the male lead has all the pins the femail plug has.

The original Akai cable like many data cables is probably not straight wired, thus the reason your generic cable isn't working.
By dryad-66 Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:52 pm
Sovereign wrote:
dryad-66 wrote: still not getting the front panel to work with the lead though.sais z8 panel operating system ver.1.0.393 the male lead has all the pins the femail plug has.

The original Akai cable like many data cables is probably not straight wired, thus the reason your generic cable isn't working.

ok thanx
By bardak1205 Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:04 pm
Hi. I think you are my only chance to fix my Akai Z8. I read your conversation for Akai Z8, and I have a problem with instalation OS Loader. I donwload from 2 sites from google, but every time on half instalation broke. Can you send me someother drivers and instalation. I hope so you will read this.
Best Regards
Nikola