Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By julioiglesias Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:46 am
picalo32 wrote:is this something that might work............. :hmmm:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDMXLE060/

AFAIK any SSD drive will work as long as you have the right IDE to SATA adapter. also, you could probably find a better price for a 60gb ssd drive than the one you posted a link to. The drive I put in is a refurbished 60gb OCZ drive I got on newegg for $50 and it works fine. Others have put in Crucial and Samsung drives.
By feline1 Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:57 pm
it would surely work, yes, although that particular drive is only 60GB, when you can easily get a 127GB SSD drive for the same sort of money.

It is nice, though, how that drive has the right interface (PATA) and physical size (3½") right out of the box. If they would make a 120GB version that would be perfect!
By atestarr Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:38 pm
The OWC kit comes with an IDE/SATA adapter for the OWC SATA SSD. Only difference is they use an Addonics SATA to IDE adapter. I like OWC and use their enclosures, but this is not an SSD that simply plugs into an IDE hub. Good looks though. The wear management might be better than others, I haven't compared.
By feline1 Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:23 pm
atestarr wrote:but this is not an SSD that simply plugs into an IDE hub.

Oh, I thought that's exactly what it was! Very misleading advertising in that case...
By picalo32 Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:43 am
feline1 wrote:it would surely work, yes, although that particular drive is only 60GB, when you can easily get a 127GB SSD drive for the same sort of money.

It is nice, though, how that drive has the right interface (PATA) and physical size (3½") right out of the box. If they would make a 120GB version that would be perfect!

In a week or so i will pull the plug and get it, got new pads, side panels, buttons, and that drive. i don't need anymore than that, 60gb is plenty for the way i work.
By Ian Canefire Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:17 pm
Forgive me if it has already been explained but I have a question.

I just got a ton of samples and my MPC has 60gigs or so in it harddisk drive (HDD). I got cdroms, jaz drives and a scsi tower with two 9 gig harddrives in it. Now I am thinking I want to take everything and organize it up well, maybe save it in dropbox and get an external usb solid state.

The solid state drives that you guys are putting inside...are they cheaper than a solid state connected to the usb port?

Is there some reason other than not wanting to carry around a peripheral, for not wanting the solid state on the outside?

Additional question is solid state going to last longer than...?
1) Jaz
2) HDD

I wouldn't mind doing all of this modification but not if I don't really need to.

Cheers,
Ian
Last edited by Ian Canefire on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By feline1 Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:37 pm
Ian, the USB port only supports USB 1.1, which means it can transfer at 12 megabits per second.

The IDE bus inside, in contrast, is (I think) ATA66, which means it can transfer 66 mega*bytes* per second (which is 66*16 = 1056 megabits per second)
(Or it might be ATA100, which is 100 MB/s)

In other words, all other things being equal, the internal hard drive is something like 80 times faster than the USB port.
By psoul Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:07 am
hey guys... a doubt

i use a lot of usb/cf/sd card and sometimes they fail... ok this is probably de the fact u connect to different hardware and sometimes u take them out without eject... but from my personal experience they fail before old style hd....

apart this how is working with an ssd? is that ok? no reading problem?

just curious
By JUKE 179r Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:50 am
Always back up your shit no matter what type of storage options you use with your gear.
By psoul Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:06 am
ok but apart this how long is the life of a solid drive?
i mean normal hd if treat well can live for a long time... of course they are fragile, but i'm curious about normal use
By MPCdawk Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:27 am
psoul wrote:ok but apart this how long is the life of a solid drive?
i mean normal hd if treat well can live for a long time... of course they are fragile, but i'm curious about normal use

You're right to consider this - all SSDs are not created equal.

There are two types of flash memory used: MLC and SLC.
MLC (multi layer cell) flash can last as little as 5000 write cycles on a cell, but SLC (single layer cell) can be good for up to 100,000.

However, MLC drives have a lot of spare cells included and clever wear levelling systems to overcome the problem. In something like the MPC where you would typically put a bunch of sounds on a disk then load them in quite often (read cycles) an MLC disc should be fine. When you're saving programs/multis/sequences a lot (write cycles), it's not a big deal because these items only use tiny amounts of memory.

The read cycles limit is often said to be infinite, but usually the maker will give a figure of 1 million or 10 million, after which they offer no guarantee. Every time the disk is used there will be electronic currents present in the flash that can eventually disturb the integrity of the cells. What usually happens is the drive will get slower as the controller has to do multiple reads of cells to retrieve the data. I doubt it would be an issue for our MPC uses.

The worries over MLC SSDs all stem from when they were first used in Windows laptops as the primary HDD, where Windows was writing so much temporary crap on to the drive all the time (to give us the nice features we like) that the drives were dying in less than 12 months. Now Windows can be optimised to manage an SSD properly.

Personally I would always try to get an SLC drive, but they are 3 or 4 times the price, although you can get lucky on ebay with NOS drives getting sold by re-sellers clearing old stock.

And, as already pointed out - always have the data backed up somewhere!
By psoul Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:12 pm
thanks mate for the clear and proper explanation... i need something like this to finally understand, really appreciate
i always found strange that i "burn" so many usb pen or sc or cf and not so many hd, apart shock crashing of course

thanks again