Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Sense-A Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:50 am
I couldn't get the Bidirectional SATA Serial ATA to IDE Converter Adaptor I linked above to work.

I put in an order for the tried and true one and will try to use these in a different application.

In the meanwhile, I have a 400GB IDE drive in there. It recognizes the drive, but I'm not sure how much space it sees. I'll report back.
By RepRSP Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:17 am
hi people,

thinking about putting a ssd in my 4k aswell. I´ve browsed through this thread and done some research,
came to the conclusion I will need the following parts

ssd
https://www.reichelt.at/samsung-ssd-860 ... 18870.html?

adapter
https://www.reichelt.at/adapter-40-pin- ... 90882.html?

bracket
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00EHD ... B7XF&psc=1

am I missing something or should this work? I plan on keeping the cd drive
thanks for your help!
By Lampdog Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:48 pm
Make sure you can return things if they don’t work so you can get your loot back and try something else that might work.
By dabmeister Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:36 pm

Was forced to upgrade to SSD. My IDE HD wouldn't boot anymore. But I did save my drive contents at one time before this happened. I still have a computer running Win 7 that I'll try and see if I can get ak.sys to work and get things going again.
By Lampdog Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:40 pm
You can use Virtual box, setup a win7 virtual machine and use that to usb into 4k.

I have Win10, I use virtual box with a Win7 virtual machine to connect to 4k. It works.
By dabmeister Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:10 pm
Lampdog wrote:You can use Virtual box, setup a win7 virtual machine and use that to usb into 4k.

I have Win10, I use virtual box with a Win7 virtual machine to connect to 4k. It works.

Ok cool, will check that out. Thanks Lamp!
By CharlesRandolph Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:31 pm
dabmeister wrote:
Was forced to upgrade to SSD. My IDE HD wouldn't boot anymore. But I did save my drive contents at one time before this happened. I still have a computer running Win 7 that I'll try and see if I can get ak.sys to work and get things going again.

I just ordered this, will report back how it works out.

Hot Swap-able Athena Power BP-TLASA2221 1 x 3.5" HDD Bay into 2 x 2.5" Bays HDD Rack $21.99

By dabmeister Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:09 pm
The only thing to look out for, and from my experience mounting the 2.5" drive, was the drive mounting adapter. The oem mounting plate that's used allows the 3.5" drive to mount from the four bottom screw holes on the HD. But in your case you shouldn't have any problems finding a mounting adapter to work with that enclosure.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:18 pm
dabmeister wrote:The only thing to look out for, and from my experience mounting the 2.5" drive, was the drive mounting adapter. The oem mounting plate that's used allows the 3.5" drive to mount from the four bottom screw holes on the HD. But in your case you shouldn't have any problems finding a mounting adapter to work with that enclosure.

Yes, but If worse comes to worse, I'll break out the drill or make a top cross bar and secure it to adapter. If I don't feel doing that, I'll use long 3 - 2 inch wide Velcro straps. :nod: I'm open to other suggestions.