Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By U3 Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:15 pm
atestarr - Thanks for the headsup mr! Soothing ey? LoL.. Will def be changing to SSD tho soon after i get my 4000.

dabmeister - yeah i kind of agree with you re: unplugging the fan.. Eventually there could be problems true.
By mr_debauch Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:07 am
U3 wrote:atestarr - Thanks for the headsup mr! Soothing ey? LoL.. Will def be changing to SSD tho soon after i get my 4000.

dabmeister - yeah i kind of agree with you re: unplugging the fan.. Eventually there could be problems true.

maybe get one of those stealth computer fans... they are a bit pricey compared to ordinary ones but they are very quiet.
By JUKE 179r Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:52 am
What type of fan is in the 4000? Is it like a desktop computer fan (12volt, 80mm)?
Over on MV Nation, someone replaced the stock MV8000 fan with a quieter desktop computer fan. They said it was definitely a noticeable difference.

http://mvnation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14538&p=115253&hilit=fan#p115253
By U3 Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:43 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:What type of fan is in the 4000? Is it like a desktop computer fan (12volt, 80mm)?
Over on MV Nation, someone replaced the stock MV8000 fan with a quieter desktop computer fan. They said it was definitely a noticeable difference.

http://mvnation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14538&p=115253&hilit=fan#p115253

Good find JUKE.

Heres the key post from this thread re: important specs to look for on fans, noise levels, air flows etc.
Looks as if this "NOCTUA NF-R8" fan has the BEST specs..

http://mvnation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php ... an#p115253

"Those fans really aren't as silent as they advertise.

NMB Tech (original MV 80mm)
Speed 2,200rpm ± 10%
Noise Level - 26 dBA ± 10 % -
Air Flow 23.3 CFM
* This fan runs in the MV at full power- 12v

ZALMAN ZM-F1 led in noiseless mode
Speed - 1700rpm
Air Flow- 20.6
Noise level- 20db
* At full power(12v) the Zalman is louder (34db) than the MV's factory fan.

Noctua NF-R8 - at only 7v in Ultra low noise mode
Speed- 800 RPM
Noise Level - 7db
Air Flow- 26 m³/h

About the numbers - Even at less than half the speed of the othe two fans the Noctua destroys both in terms of both noise and airflow. So just because a fan is marketed as silent , it doesn't always pan out in the real numbers. I would skip the bling "
By McSmooth Mon May 10, 2010 11:55 pm
dabmeister wrote:The way that I see things is, that's a hard cookie to sell as far as unplugging the system fan because some of us are bothered by it. Akai engineers put it there for a good reason. I don't think this would be smart "reverse engineering" because you can put the internal cooling temp in jeopardy which is supposed to be at a certain level at all times (ie: ic's, cpu, memory, etc.).

If you've ever installed anything in a PC, replacing a fan isn't really reverse enginerring (though its a bit more work to get it in the mpc).

Figure that all fans eventually go bad (like hard drives). They will get louder due to drag, and at that point, you aren't getting the airflow it was designed to push through. So with your logic, you SHOULD replace old fans to keep them to spec. To be safe, make the airflow (CFM) your important value and then factor in noise level second.

Also, drives generate quite a bit of heat. Going SSD should cool down the ambient temps, possibly requiring less cooling (though that would depend on your specific drive/fan changes).

U3 wrote:Heres the key post from this thread re: important specs to look for on fans, noise levels, air flows etc.
Looks as if this "NOCTUA NF-R8" fan has the BEST specs..

I can vouch that Noctura makes great "silent" fans. However, the NF-R8 is an 80mm fan... so hope you didn't buy that. You need a 60mm fan!
By atestarr Tue May 11, 2010 1:29 pm
60mm it is. This is the one I put in: "Vantec Stealth SF6025L 60x60x25mm Double Ball Bearing Silent Case Fan (Black)"$7.97

(You will have to splice the red and black wires onto the old plug and snip off the yellow wire (for the speed control) to get this to work. Also, the screws have threadlock on them, very carefully burn that off with a lighter before unscrewing. And be careful not to touch any capacitors)

Best,
M
By Peer Tue May 11, 2010 1:45 pm
atestarr wrote:60mm it is. This is the one I put in: "Vantec Stealth SF6025L 60x60x25mm Double Ball Bearing Silent Case Fan (Black)"$7.97

From reading a few con-reviews on the Newegg site, it sounds like this fan isn't very quiet. Can you tell us what the noise level is compared to the stock fan?

-- peer
By atestarr Tue May 11, 2010 3:17 pm
Peer wrote:
atestarr wrote:60mm it is. This is the one I put in: "Vantec Stealth SF6025L 60x60x25mm Double Ball Bearing Silent Case Fan (Black)"$7.97

From reading a few con-reviews on the Newegg site, it sounds like this fan isn't very quiet. Can you tell us what the noise level is compared to the stock fan?

-- peer

I can't even tell the fan is on. The old fan was clearly audible and it vibrated enough to be noticible. I'm not sure where I read it, but in my search I found a comparitive list of this fan vs some others and it had the lowest, or close to the lowest db level. Anyway, it's 8 bucks and I haven't given modding the mpc a second thought, I'm just making music on it.
By rokuez Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:47 am
i'm about to buy some of these parts to upgrade my 4000s internal hd. is there a lager gb ssd hd i can buy other then the crucial technologies 64 gb m225 ssd drive?

Has anyone installed any other larger ssd drives if so which ones, what is the max size ssd I can use in the 4k? 160 ?
By rokuez Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:29 am
Peer wrote:
rokuez wrote:is there a lager gb ssd hd i can buy other then the crucial technologies 64 gb m225 ssd drive?

I've been ogling this 128gb ssd drive:
http://tinyurl.com/2e34bfr

-- peer

it looks coo

max hd the 4k's OS can see is 160 gb if memory serves me correct. <-- can anyone confirm this?
By SMC Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:34 pm
Not sure about the internal but I use a 640GB external via USB

IDE is plenty plenty fast for the purposes of these machines

I run 64 Channel Pro Tools Mix systems for live recordings on Mac G4 MDD's with a 100/133MHz Bus and IDE Drives pulling 64 Tracks at 24/48 with no problems whatsoever.

Granted, all the performance IDE Drives I use are dual platter 640 WDs, but even a standard IDE single platter will do just fine for most applications.

If a DP 640GB IDE on a 100/133MHz bus can handle 64 tracks at 24bit/48KHz, I highly doubt that IDE is restrictive to the 4k in any way
By mr_debauch Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:55 pm
SMC wrote:I highly doubt that IDE is restrictive to the 4k in any way

I agree 100%... that was my hypothesis also.

I think they are trying to reduce sound and head mainly, probably a lot of people record in the same room as the mpc.
By feline1 Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:23 am
good thread!

So basically this guy used a 2½" SSD drive, with a 2½ > 3½ adaptor, and a S-ATA to P-ATA (IDE) adaptor, and it all fitted inside!

I suspect it is the Intel strongarm CPU that is the limiting speed factor, to be honest!