Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By atestarr Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:35 pm
I'm a fan of Crucial SSDs so that's why I went the route I did. Plus, SATA drives are more ubiquitous in case you ever want to swap them out or replace them. Plus, at a casual glance, a 256GB Crucial SATA SSD is 209.00 USD, which is pretty nuts.

Coz wrote:
feline1 wrote:Piece of piss.

Like changing a fan? As the only person who has ever come close to killing themselves carrying out a minor modification you should be careful what you say! :lol:

feline1 wrote:There are no "other methods"

Someone on here had bypassed the adapter altogether by getting an IDE SSD, which is why I bumped the thread to get any extra information. This is not my area of expertise, like public relations isn't yours. Nice one anyway. :smoker:
By feline1 Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:36 pm
Hah :lol: it wasn't my fault,
first I had to use a **** HACKSAW to get the old fan off,
and then I had to have the MPC4000 powered up to be able to tell if I'd plugged the new on in so that it sucked rather than blew.
It was only mild electrocution :P
By JUKE 179r Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:55 pm
:lol:
By mr_debauch Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:42 am
fan blades are curved (concave sort of) if you are looking at the inside edge of the curve, the fan is blowing towards you...

In this photo... you can see we are looking at the outer edge of the curve (the blades are curved inward) so the fan is blowing away from our perspective.

this is in case you need to change one again... and seeing that they use DC motors... make sure the negative and positive wires or the connector is on the right way around so the airflow goes in the direction described above...

About the SSDs... so now that it's been a bit of time that 4000 users have been on SSD drives... how is the data holding up? everything still running well on the drive? No errors or corruption.. fragmentation etc? some early ssd drives had some issues.
By feline1 Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:51 am
It was not that I was unsure which way round to put mount the fan,
it was that I was not sure which way round to connect the 2-pin cable to the MPC4000 PSU board! :) If plugged the wrong way, it would have spun in the wrong (self-defeating) direction.

Anyways, it was not my turn to die that day :-D

As for all this worrying about the longevity of SSD drives - since when were spinning-platter drivers reliable for years in any case?! The original MPC4000's was all fitted with infamous IBM death-stars drives! :lol:
By MPCdawk Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:19 pm
jimfowler wrote:so...theoretically i could just buy one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-128-2-5 ... nd+ssd+ide

and plug it directly in? or would i need some adapter? sorry, i'm a total computer neophyte.

- jim

The only thing you would need is a 3.5 inch to 2.5 inch adapter mounting plate and 44 pin to 40 pin connector. These are pretty easy to get.

But yeah, that drive should work fine as long as it is set to be a master on the IDE bus.
By atestarr Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:10 pm
Jim, you'll pay less if you get a 128GB crucial SATA drive (109.00 USB on Amazon), including adapter, mounting plate, etc, than you would if you bought the 128GB IDE SSD. I have had very good performance with that setup. Quieter/cooler as well.

Check page three of this thread for details.

jimfowler wrote:so...theoretically i could just buy one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-128-2-5 ... nd+ssd+ide

and plug it directly in? or would i need some adapter? sorry, i'm a total computer neophyte.

- jim
By mr_debauch Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:53 pm
feline1 wrote:
As for all this worrying about the longevity of SSD drives - since when were spinning-platter drivers reliable for years in any case?! The original MPC4000's was all fitted with infamous IBM death-stars drives! :lol:

nobody is asking about the longevity of anything... it's about the data.... how is it holding up, any errors or issues of that nature? But it doesn't look as if anyone who actually has one installed wants to comment on that.