Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000

By keyzfame Tue Jan 14, 2003 5:49 pm
i love my mpc 2000x but i have motif too and as i learn more a bout the motif the more i find out that it has some cool as seq. features. Nothing touches the motif when it comes to drums but alot new seq have real time bells. The best thing about the motif is you can record vocals while the seq is play then give it a midi note. The reason i find that cool. but being that i use the mpc for seq. i had to think of how i can use with the mpc better. well i just tell a person to listen to the beat in the mpc then i put the motif seq. in sample mode record her then add to my song( on beat) see you can speed up samples on the motif with out changing the beat. well im new with all of this tech all i wanted to know really is with the mpc 4000 can you record vocals while the seq. is running....if not then i got one up on you guys if you can well i got one up on the xl guys.[/color]

By Gigaton Tue Jan 14, 2003 11:07 pm
I'm not really sure, do you mean record as in DAW style, like there is a built in multitrack recorder on the Motif? The 4000 lets you record while the sequence is playing but you are recording a sample, which in turn must be assingned to a pad and triggered. The recording is not actually recorded to a track in the sequencer. Explain what you mean.[/color]

By earthmorphosis Tue Jan 14, 2003 11:36 pm
I know the feature on the Mo that your talking about.  I dont use it because I have everything sync to Pro Tools so I do all my recording there.  But the answer to your question is yes.  You can record into the 4000 (analog/digital in) while a sequence is playing.  Theres not much you cant do with the 4000 other than a the features that will be added to the OS in updates.[/color]

By Gigaton Tue Jan 14, 2003 11:58 pm
Hey E.Morph you can't multitrack record into the 4000 can you?[/color]

By earthmorphosis Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:46 am
Only if you consider stereo 'Multi-tracking' :D Actually you sort of can, but its not setup to make that very easy.  You could record multiple passes and assign them to seperate pads....but then you would have to make sure all the samples("tracks") are trimed so that they are triggered perfectly so they will be in sync(not easy). But I dont know why it wouldnt be possible to write a more user friendly tracking system into the OS.  It probably is possible,but they want people to buy the Akai D-whatever hard disk recorder.  :([/color]

By keyzfame Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:11 am
thanks alot guys just wanted to see what was good over in mpc 4000 land.[/color]

By Gigaton Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:34 am
Yo Keys Everythings Good Here!!! If you ain't got your 4000 yet boy you better get it! Why you hesitating? You just in here tryin to help justify the rest of your gear right??? hahahaha stay up playboy!!! You get one eventually!