Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000

By b1gg1e Thu Jan 09, 2003 1:45 am
To start off I'd like to say thank god for this site. I found this site by accident, but I have been looking for a place that I could find information on the MPC 4000. Akai doesn't seem to have many FAQ on their site. I'm in the Air Force stationed in Japan, so I can't run out to my local dealer if I have questions. I recently purchased the MPC 4000 here in Japan. I installed a 80 gigabyte harddrive and a cd burner in it. I previously owned an MPC 2000xl so I kind of know how to use the 4000 but I have trouble with the time stretch function. Is there some kind of mathmatical equation to figure out how long to stretch the sound or does the 4000 do all of that for you? Also, where is the best place to order patches that have programs and sounds already mapped to the pads? Last but not least, can someone help me with RAM. I can find PC 100, 128mb sticks that the 4000 will recognize, but I can't find 256 mb sticks that it will recognize. Every time I go to a computer shop they don't understand the specs that Akai gives on their site. I know you can purchase it from their site, but I don't want to spend $165 on two sticks of RAM. Sorry this is so long, but I'm just happy to find a place where I can some info. :D

By Gigaton Thu Jan 09, 2003 5:00 am
Welcome to the board. Big up on your choice to work with the 4000. Another soldier, for reals though props. First I gotta ask why you would ever need that much ram????? But assuming you need to recreate Beethoven's 5th I think you can get cheaper ram on the net. Try Macsales.com, ram is cheap there but shipping might be a factor.  try Hiphopbeats.com for 4000 discs. stay out of the line of fire aight.[/color]

By b1gg1e Thu Jan 09, 2003 5:10 am
Yeah I know that I don't need that much ram. I just figured I'd max my 4000 out, that way I'll never have to worry. Aye, thanks for the advice.[/color]

By Gigaton Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:10 am
Yah 272mg is a ton of time on a drum sampler. Way more than I'll use for a beat. Your extra cash is better spent on gettin some extra nookie kid. thats where the inspiration come from anyways. Or get the 8 outs option and try working with a mixer for big sound.[/color]

By earthmorphosis Fri Jan 10, 2003 8:48 pm
Hey b1gg1e.  Welcome to the forum.  first off to answer your question about time strech:  put your calculator away,  all you have to do is enter the BPM you want to use, and the 4000 will adjust the sample to match.  Go to the sample page.  Select your sample.  Hit the 'Region' F3 softkey. And then hit the BPM F4 softkey.  Then just change the tempo.  

I disagree about how much RAM you need.  Because the 4000 can be used like a conventional sampler,  I know of librarys with Pianos that are key-mapped and use multiple layers that are 120Megs or more.....just for a piano.  So if your using the 4000 like that you may want the extra RAM.[/color]

By jahrome Sat Jan 11, 2003 2:26 am
b1gg1e,

My AF brother, you can buy 256 MB sticks of memory at the BX that will work in your MPC 4000.  It will cost you about $50.  You may be able to find it cheaper on the net but the BX is a safe bet because you can easily return it if it does not work properly.[/color]

By Heavie Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:15 am
Welcome b1gg1e

You can also go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mpc4000/. For some serious know hows.

Those guys know there ####. You learn alot and it's plain good reading.

Heavie  
Tommy T's Production
Put your weight into it !!![/color]

By polysikhs Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:12 pm
good evening everybody, i bought my mpc 4k today and i already love it, but i do have a very basic embarassing simple question. first i installed os 1.40 and got it running without any problems but then i tried to connect it to my laptop via usb and that simply did`nt work out. ak.sys and does`nt recognize the mpc. do i  have to enable the usb ports on the mpc but if, how ???
thanks for any help people.

By earthmorphosis Tue Jan 14, 2003 3:08 am
First off, welcome.  Second, you should post a new thread if you have a new question.   If you are using a Mac, make sure the 'USB ak.Sys Z48 Driver' is in the extentions folder which is in the System Folder.  Then restart.  If you got a PC, I cant help you.  Good Luck![/color]

By polysikhs Tue Jan 14, 2003 8:40 am
hi earth, thx for your answer anyway. maybe i`ll start a new thread on this issue, for the moment i´ll try a few other things. see you.

By jahrome Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:41 am
polysikhs,

You have to download the USB driver for the MPC 4000 and install it in your computer before your PC will see the 4000.  Also, you have to use the USB port on the back of the MPC for PC connection.[/color]

By polysikhs Sat Jan 18, 2003 4:19 pm
hi jahrome, thank you very much, i had figured it out in the meantime, but could`nt log in to tell. everything very fine... :idea: