Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By kevtech Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:40 pm
charlieocali wrote:I opened mine up, jiggled things around, and boom, it came back. But than a static problem returned, random pops and clicks. So I reopened it, found that one of my PCB boards had a burned solder point. So I re-soldered it. Clean signal again, but no sample rate change again. I think I better just leave this beast alone. Ugh.

What came back?..the date and time? I was thinking the same thing, leave the beast alone. 4000 works fine accept for those two issue. I have a few tact switches i need to replace and i'm going to back up the HD.
Have you try replaced that CMOS like battery inside the unit?
By charlieocali Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:32 pm
kevtech wrote:
charlieocali wrote:I opened mine up, jiggled things around, and boom, it came back. But than a static problem returned, random pops and clicks. So I reopened it, found that one of my PCB boards had a burned solder point. So I re-soldered it. Clean signal again, but no sample rate change again. I think I better just leave this beast alone. Ugh.

What came back?..the date and time? I was thinking the same thing, leave the beast alone. 4000 works fine accept for those two issue. I have a few tact switches i need to replace and i'm going to back up the HD.
Have you try replaced that CMOS like battery inside the unit?

The ability to change the date and time came back. But as I said, there was a crackling that came with it. I have changed the CMOS battery and the new one is in there now, but that did not fix the problem.
By kevtech Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:58 pm
wavemartian wrote:Same here, I have never being able to adjust the sample rate, nor change date or time

Opened mine too....removed HD, CD-ROM. I took out the main input, output board. I tried to get to he effects board but decided that was too much at the moment. Actually after i did that time date was still not working...gave up. This was about 2 weeks ago. I hit the Global button last night noticed time was moving. I then wondered if i can change system clock. I was able to change to 48KHz and 96KHz. Machine's is fully operational now. I actually thought about getting another because of this issue. No need now. You have to open the machine up and check every connect and make sure everything is tight. I don't know exactly what was loose or not connected properly but MPC is good to go :)
By charlieocali Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:57 pm
kevtech wrote:
wavemartian wrote:Same here, I have never being able to adjust the sample rate, nor change date or time

Opened mine too....removed HD, CD-ROM. I took out the main input, output board. I tried to get to he effects board but decided that was too much at the moment. Actually after i did that time date was still not working...gave up. This was about 2 weeks ago. I hit the Global button last night noticed time was moving. I then wondered if i can change system clock. I was able to change to 48KHz and 96KHz. Machine's is fully operational now. I actually thought about getting another because of this issue. No need now. You have to open the machine up and check every connect and make sure everything is tight. I don't know exactly what was loose or not connected properly but MPC is good to go :)

Same happened to me. I removed everything, even touched up a solder point, and all is fine now.
By Alexander AKAI MPC WORKSHOP Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:43 am
I have trying resolve this problem month. I have couple mpc 4000 on that moment.
And after replacing battery, reflashing os with both methods, reinstalling all unit components, cleaning all boards has no effect, i just start replace board after board from working unit find out in which was problem. I find out that if i replace main board that has additional memory and FX board, all works fine. So i start cleaning all contacts with spirit and when testing tracks. After all that, i install it back and....... nothing works.
In this moment i start give out. Go to google and find that many people has same problem. So goes from that i understand it is not hardware issue, but internal soft error.
And you now what ? I go in system clock menu, rotate wheel and set not 48 or 96 but 44.1 and push do it. Of course after reboot it shows 44.1. But from this moment date and cloak start work fine. As i understand in result of error, unit just don't recognize on what cloak and time it was and cant change it but after this easy initialization it goes fine.

P.s. I do this manipulation on 1.6 os version and when instal 1.71. And change clock gradually.
By kevtech Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:30 pm
Alexander AKAI MPC WORKSHOP wrote:I have trying resolve this problem month. I have couple mpc 4000 on that moment.
And after replacing battery, reflashing os with both methods, reinstalling all unit components, cleaning all boards has no effect, i just start replace board after board from working unit find out in which was problem. I find out that if i replace main board that has additional memory and FX board, all works fine. So i start cleaning all contacts with spirit and when testing tracks. After all that, i install it back and....... nothing works.
In this moment i start give out. Go to google and find that many people has same problem. So goes from that i understand it is not hardware issue, but internal soft error.
And you now what ? I go in system clock menu, rotate wheel and set not 48 or 96 but 44.1 and push do it. Of course after reboot it shows 44.1. But from this moment date and cloak start work fine. As i understand in result of error, unit just don't recognize on what cloak and time it was and cant change it but after this easy initialization it goes fine.

P.s. I do this manipulation on 1.6 os version and when instal 1.71. And change clock gradually.

Glad you fixed it. It was an annoying issue. The problem could be either software or hardware. it depends on the case. With me i never reinstalled the OS if i remember right. My problem was hardware. Once in a while i open up the MPC and blow it out with compressed air. At one point setting the time and date work then it reverted back to a specific date (august 2009 i think) and would not change. Anyway, forums like this help solve problem with a wide array of solutions whether it be software or hardware. Thanks

Respect
By Lauedbeatz Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:05 pm
11 years later and I am having this same exact problem as well. Haven’t quite taken boards out completely to dust/clean but after finding this post a few times from countless searching/reading, I may give it a go. The problem is my unit didn’t start doing this until it got knocked over one day and damaged the lcd board from landing on it. Replaced it; now my screen works. As I turn on and operate the machine again, it’s doing the same thing with bit rate, date and time, and also global default pads. Seems as if it doesn’t want to save global parameter changes at all. It’d be nice if someone knew an exact diagnosis since it seems to be a specific reaction of some sort but, looks like I’ll be going through disassembling/reassembling until a miracle happens lol
By richie Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:21 pm
Why do you care so much about the date?

If you set the clock back earlier, all the beats you make on your 4000 will sound more "vintage"

Don't be dumb.
By Lauedbeatz Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:37 pm
richie wrote:Why do you care so much about the date?

If you set the clock back earlier, all the beats you make on your 4000 will sound more "vintage"

Don't be dumb.

Wow what a useless and dumb reply considering you have no solution to offer but rather pointless remarks :smh:
Do these beats seem dumb to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD5vuyl ... BB2-yEpiR9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3usmaO ... 2-CCkYVZ3o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIYXnn9 ... bi3X84G1gG

I ain’t new to this bubba and it’s pretty dumb for someone to assume things like you do. Kick rocks
By richie Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:36 pm
The fact that my response went completely over your head is hilarious and depressing at the same time.

Are you one of those autistic people that need to be explained to why a joke is funny?

Apologize to me immediately and don't call me Bubba, only my Nanna can call me that.
By Lauedbeatz Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:02 pm
Are you one of those ppl that belong to mpc forums for the sake of keyboard harassing but, can’t actually make a decent beat on one to save your life ?
The fact you use autism as an insult shows your own mental incapacity. Too bad your “nanna” didn’t get paid enough to raise you better. Buzz off scooter. ✌