Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By elfer_ Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:49 pm
Out of curiosity ... within Global would like to know the difference in the type Consumer or Professional
Thanks
By dabmeister Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:39 pm
elfer_ wrote:Out of curiosity ... within Global would like to know the difference in the type Consumer or Professional
Thanks

It differs between either adding copy protection/restriction (consumer) or not (professional) for digital transfers.

SCMS - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Copy_Management_System
By feline1 Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:35 pm
Actually I think that's the wrong answer:

it is letting you choose between a vanilla "SP-DIF" and an "AES-EBU" digital signal.
By dabmeister Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:27 pm
feline1 wrote:Actually I think that's the wrong answer:

it is letting you choose between a vanilla "SP-DIF" and an "AES-EBU" digital signal.

Tell me you're joking feline. :lol:

Dude wouldn't know the difference if he chose between the two without giving him the inside scoop...right?

Telling him the the two formats & not letting him know what goes on with them is like giving half the answer.

I know after 20 years of owning a Tascam DA30 which was the first digital recorder I had that has SPDIF coax & AESEBU xlr connections that I got a glimps of what happens when you try to use either of the two digital formats.

Plus I run into this if my digital settings for my s/c aren't set properly...consumer/professional.

Even my apogee big ben has all of the digital formats for consumer & professional.

Try sending digital out on the professional setting and not have the gear that will recieve this...nadda...nothing happens.
By flextone Sat May 23, 2020 6:34 pm
Reviving this thread for a related question.

I just got a Z8 and I want to connect it digitally to my Metric Halo LIO8 interface at 96Khz. Now, the Z8 has spdif i/o and the LIO8 AES. I can get an spdif i/o on the LIO8 for 50$. But is this needed? If I set the Z8 to transmit the "pro" signal, I assume this means I could run straight into AES on the LIO8. But what about the output from the LIO8 into the Z8? AES to spdif. No go? The Z8 "pro" setting is only for the output.

My instinct tells me to get the spdif card for the interface and just go consumer in and out. Anybody care to share their experience?

Thanks.