Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000

By six_wax Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:03 pm
I'm lusting after the mpc, but am very much tied to Cubase SX. I'd love to use the mpc to create some beats, and either trigger the mpc track mutes and patterns from SX, or have the 2 sequncers [mpc and SX] running in sync...

Is anyone doing this? How does it work? What are my options for marrying these two? Or is it folly?

TIA.[/color]

By polysikhs Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:29 pm
hi wax, i will try to setup the exact same configuration throughout the next days (using cubase only for audiotracking and reverb) and will let you know. basically it is supposed to work flawlessly in both directions, but i think i will take my mpc as my new master for EVERYTHING, so that´s that.[/color]

By six_wax Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:59 pm
hey, thanks! please let me know how that works out --I'm very curious...[/color]

By earthmorphosis Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:44 am
I use the 4k with Pro Tools.  I not only use the 4k sequencer for Beats (synced with Midi beat clock),  but also, since the 4k can be used as a conventional sampler (with up to 512k Ram), I record midi tracks into Pro Tools.  Everything from pianos to strings, and oh yeah drums.  Unlike the 3000 which only allowed one program to be played at a time, the 4k lets you have up to 128 programs.  Sick or what?  I think you can get up to 16 midi tracks playing, but I'm not 100% sure, and I dont know yet how that affects polyphony(sp?)...So the answer is yes, you will still be using cubase all the time!
:cool:[/color]

By six_wax Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:41 am
sick indeed.

what about part/track mutes, etc. on the mpc? can you remote control these via midi? are other mpc mixer functions automatable?

that's really helpful em! thanks![/color]

By earthmorphosis Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:42 am
what about part/track mutes, etc. on the mpc? can you remote control these via midi? are other mpc mixer functions automatable?

Yes they are automatable in the mpc. I will assume that they are automatable via midi, but I only do that in the MPC for beats.  If a piano needs to be muted for 2 bars for example, you should be able to automate the midi track in cubase. No?[/color]

By jahrome Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:27 am
Using all 4 MIDI ouputs, you can control at least 64 MIDI channels on the 4000.  I have my MPC 4000 set as the master and slave Steinbergs Nuendo to it.  So far it is a perfect marriage.[/color]