Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By MoreBuck$ Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:10 pm
Hey 4K Fam-A-Lam,

Anyone know if you can do a 'Round Robin' single pad sample cycling on the 4K using ZONES or something else?
By Clint Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:40 pm
That would be nice MB, probably possible but a **** to set up.

Definitely a dope feature to have, now let me think about this...
By MoreBuck$ Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:01 pm
When i first bought mine i saw the ZONES and thought that would def be possible, there is that thread on here where someone made the zones trigger using the mod matrix and LFO to switch a drum pattern about randomly, it might be along those lines you have to program it?
By nyarlathotep Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:20 am
If I understand, you want to have several samples set on a pad using zones and have these samples play in time one after the next whilst holding down said pad, is this what you mean?

If so you can use the mod matrix lfo>zone select feature and set the pad trigger to trigger note on with one hit and then note off with a 2nd hit (can't remember the exact function name) to start the series of samples. Samples should be set to one shot I suppose.
By MoreBuck$ Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:02 am
Yeah but we don't want it to be random.

KICK>HIHAT>SNARE>HIHAT for example, just makes tapping out a beat fun for getting ideas quick etc..
By nyarlathotep Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:27 am
If you clock the lfo to the zone select and select any waveform other than random it won't be random, it will only be random if you use a random lfo. If you want it to change on a set beat you would need the zone select to change in time to your project. Clocking the lfo>zone select may work but the results might overlap a bit if using one shot.

Another way to do it is by velocity, whereby hitting the pad at different velocities controls the sound, I daresay you already thought of that though.

If the clocked lfo select method works you could do some good stuff by having different sound cycles on different pads set to different clock speeds. An interesting idea man :idea:

As mentioned before there is a way to change the pads note on/off behaviour whereby a single hit activates a pad (note on) and another hit deactivates it (note off). This used with one shot should work well for percussive samples providing the initial set up also works.
By nyarlathotep Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:15 pm
This is the other bit (taken from tips/tricks thread):

The Play Trigger option (per KG/Pad) gives you the following options:
* NOTE ON: the samples in the KG are triggered according to the Sample Play mode when the Pad/Key is pressed (as usual)
* NOTE OFF: the samples in the KG are triggered in One Shot mode when the Pad/Key is released.
This can be useful for effects, for instance on plucked instruments, such as acoustic guitar, or mandolin.
* TOGGLE: the samples in the KG are started with the first Note On and stopped with the next Note On.
For instance, if a sample is in Loop Play mode, the first hit on the Pad starts the loop, and the next hit on the same Pad stops the loop.

Toggle would be the one to go for I'd say. You can then have the different samples scroll through in time to the lfo clock. My mpc 4k isn't set up right now so it'd be good if ArKyve-31 and others can let us know their results.

*Don't forget to set zone select 1-4 up with corresponding velocity values for the 4 zones. Don't forget to set zone select field to real time.

Zone select: off/velocity/real time.*
By Clint Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:22 pm
nyarlathotep wrote:If I understand, you want to have several samples set on a pad using zones and have these samples play in time one after the next whilst holding down said pad, is this what you mean?

No.

Round Robin means that a different sample is triggered each time you press the same pad.

I believe it's the only function on an MPC5000 that would be of any use to me. The feature is mostly found on software samplers and drum based VSTi's, but also on some other gear like the Roland Fantom as I understand it.

@ MoreBuck$

Im still thinking and doing a little research...
By nyarlathotep Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:30 pm
ArKyve-31 wrote:I'm sorry I do not know how to access the screen you talking about, I haven't seen a "toggle" option in my 4k yet

Just in case you were wondering, the Play Trigger window is accessed differently from Keygroup and Drum programs:
* Drum Program: in PROGRAM / KG MIX or PITCH page, move the cursor to the Note field (far left) and press the WINDOW key.
* Keygroup Program: in PROGRAM / PITCH page, move the cursor to the Low or High Span field and press the WINDOW key.

Taken from:

viewtopic.php?t=17574
By nyarlathotep Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:46 pm
clint246clint wrote:No.

Round Robin means that a different sample is triggered each time you press the same pad.

Oh, ok. I misunderstood the question in that case. Still, the zone switching cycling sound which can be turned on and off seems like a good idea.
By Clint Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:53 pm
I have looked into this on the 4000 and Akai Z8 which are essentially the same.

Research tells me that software such as battery, kontakt and a fair few others are able to perform round robin tricks. As are some hardware samplers such as the Fantom and MPC5000, and even some older synths and samplers. The feature seems to have gone out of favour and come back with a vengeance in newer softsamplers and commercial sample-packs.

So round robin can easily be done externally via midi/ software, but internally...

If you could switch the pad banks using a q-link slider then you could use it to cycle between four samples per pad, or perhaps the q-link could be used the cycle thru the four zones of each pad.

It may not be automatic round robin cycling as in Mikes video but using the q-link to select the sample isn't far off.