Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Coz Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:04 pm
You need an ASCII keyboard which I'm guessing is an older standard. I tried my USB keyboard and it didn't work. :(
By Metatron72 Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:32 pm
I would think no. The wireless receiver probably needs a driver to run it's operation, on a PC a generic driver will be installed if the manufacturer doesn't provide one when installing a wireless receiver. I've never seen a class compliant (driverless) USb wireless receiver.
By Clint Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:29 pm
Metatron72 wrote:The wireless receiver probably needs a driver..I've never seen a class compliant (driverless) USb wireless receiver.

I agree.

But it would be cool if you could find one that is truly plug and play, let us know...

Edit: But I do remember seeing this somewhere online, so I guess it is possible.
By Kalou Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:33 am
Coz wrote:You need an ASCII keyboard which I'm guessing is an older standard. I tried my USB keyboard and it didn't work. :(

I was under the impression that ASCII was just a specific layout for the keys to correspond with music instruments, rather than a type of keyboard?

I thought the driver may be a stumbling block, but I'll check out the one e9000k suggests. I've also done some research and found there are quite a few USB keyboards that don't require drivers, just need to buy them from somewhere who'll allow me to return if it does work.

More so than a fast DVD drive, a keyboard to that has some mobility and doesn't get caught would be a great addition to the 4000. Regarding the other thread about speed of navigation, I think it is a case of learning the OS and being able to use the block cursor effectively but naming tracks and doing a few other tasks would be infinitely better on a keyboard.

Edit: Just looked at the keyboard e9000k linked to and I don't think it'd work as it's USB 3.0. Make's me wondering whether the USB on the front is 2.0 or 1.0 like the back. Anyone know?
By Metatron72 Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:04 am
I think the USB3 spec is backwards compatible and would operate at 1.1 or 2.0 protocols when plugged into those respective ports. But double check that.

Yeah I have at least 3 standard USB keyboards here and they work on the 4000. Older basic Dell and HP keyboards are what I have.

All my wireless ones need a driver or at least a generic windows driver through the OS so I think they definitely won't work.

Definitely intrigued about this one you're looking at Kalou.
By Lampdog Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:25 pm
Metatron72 wrote:I think the USB3 spec is backwards compatible and would operate at 1.1 or 2.0 protocols when plugged into those respective ports. But double check that.

Usb3.0 will fit inside previous USB slots and is backwards compatible, you'll get the speed of the slowest device.
By Coz Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:48 pm
I've been chatting with Metatron about this, and I can confirm that wireless keyboards DO work with the 4K!

The generic Microsoft one that my Brother uses does anyway. Result! :smoker:
By Metatron72 Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:14 pm
Yes I was real happy that Coz proved my previous posts wrong. Powered hubs worked too. :nod:
By Clint Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:14 pm
Coz wrote:

The generic Microsoft one that my Brother uses does anyway.

Which one is that?
By Clint Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:50 pm
Nice one Coz, looks a right bargain.
By Coz Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:14 am
Definitely.

I'm surprised at how much of the machine you can control with it. I thought it would work purely for text input, but everything works well apart from the Transport section, Block Cursor and Q-Link buttons. I'm guessing that on a full wireless keyboard the 'page up' and 'page down' buttons might act as the Block Cursor which could potentially make sample zooming a bit more silky smooth.

The F Keys work fine (F12 = Open Window), and the letter keys all control their Mode equivalents. I'm well chuffed for 15 quid! :-D

While I will still keep both hands on the 4K for most of the time, one thing I will consign to the workflow graveyard is mashing the F4 key to audition sounds in Load... Coming from the 2500 I'm conscious of the tact switches taking too much of a beating!