Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By dryad-66 Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:11 pm
:hmmm: So i adjusted a global recording setting and my machine does not like that.I reboot and it gets stuck on the first mpc4000 screen and does not load.Tried and succeded reflashing the ram to no avail.And reseated and adjusted everything inside.Is there a screen where i can start up and adjust the bios ect.Had this before and cant remember how to get out.....Gertie??
By dryad-66 Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:47 pm
^^Hmm.....back in my old thread :smoker: ..well most of that was usefull info but this is the most interesting bit for me from that-
wat u want 2 do is set ur clock 2 44 and reboot that all im sayn u repat that okk
So how do i change the clock setting if it wont boot and i cant adjust it??If i can work that out i might just be ok.:hmmm:
By MPCdawk Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:29 am
How long since the battery was changed?

Maybe take out the battery for 60 sec then put it back in and try powering it up. I'm just saying this because I have had failures with other gear (not the 4k) where they had a crash and rebooting did nothing until I had taken out the battery for a bit to "clear" the corrupt instructions in the battery backed RAM of the CPU (not the same as the sample RAM which clears on power down). Of course I lost all my patches/sounds whatever.

Do this at your risk though, because I don't know what it will do to the 4k. Logic suggests that the machine must be able to deal with a battery that goes flat and then be usable again with a new battery, but I don't know for sure. You will lose your time and date settings for sure and other global settings.

Jeez I hope you get this fixed, I'm terrified of this happening to my 4k! :(
By MPCdawk Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:32 am
I just remembered another user having a similar problem with their 4k and turned out the fan wasn't starting up properly which then didn't allow it to start up properly.

Anybody remember the thread? Can't find it.
By Metatron72 Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:51 am
MPCdawk wrote:I just remembered another user having a similar problem with their 4k and turned out the fan wasn't starting up properly which then didn't allow it to start up properly.

Anybody remember the thread? Can't find it.

The fan's loud enough even on the quieter ones that you could probably tell if the fan is not engaging by just listening/looking at the back vent.

Do you think maybe the HD spin setting got messed up somehow during the re-boot to change the sample rate? I just mention that because that's the only thing that you see come up on the boot screen (the HD accessing message at the bottom) before it launches.

I have no advice to offer really, just feeling your pain and like was already mentioned looking at my 4000 and knocking on wood.
By crossings Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:41 am
despite it not booting right away, try leaving it booting for a long time... if it doesn't react after say an hour or so then turn it off... but sometimes it can hang after configuration changes... it's at least worth a try to see if you can get back into the settings, etc...
By dryad-66 Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:02 am
Thanx for your thoughts.I would not worry too much about the 4k going wrong.Mine seems to get stronger day by day.Its just it doesent want me to do certain things.Curiosity got the better of me tho and i changed the clock rate to 96......after a conversation with another poster.I knew it would not work...Blimey-wheres Gertie?? :P
Maybe take out the battery for 60 sec then put it back in and try powering it up.

Tried taking the battery out and no joy.Ill leave it out for a while tho....
By Metatron72 Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:11 am
dryad-66 wrote:Thanx for your thoughts.I would not worry too much about the 4k going wrong.Mine seems to get stronger day by day.Its just it doesent want me to do certain things.Curiosity got the better of me tho and i changed the clock rate to 96......after a conversation with another poster.I knew it would not work...Blimey-wheres Gertie?? :P
Maybe take out the battery for 60 sec then put it back in and try powering it up.

Tried taking the battery out and no joy.Ill leave it out for a while tho....

Damn, I wish I knew something to help. I just switched mine to 96khz the other night with no issues.
By gertie Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:20 am
Im here Goa :-D
not that im much use...

changing rate should not fug up ure mpc :oops:

looks as if your os is corrupt or screen cable is fugged

can you use aksys with it? i guess it doesnt even get that far....

open her up...take out the ram chips (mpc has 2mb internal ram) and disconnect periphary cables such as hard disk, effect card, cd rom and then boot (maybe take a photo beforehand so you know which was cables go) - if still white screen of death...youre gonna have to try to flash the os....maybe even try os 1.6 or something...incase 1.71 is corrupted....
can you try flash the os using usb stick or akasys or internal cd rom?

i had the screen of death before on my vp9000...reflashing the os fixed it

good luck mate
By dryad-66 Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:02 am
Metatron72 wrote:Damn, I wish I knew something to help. .

Thanx Man :wink:
Im here Goa
not that im much use...

changing rate should not fug up ure mpc

looks as if your os is corrupt or screen cable is fugged

can you use aksys with it? i guess it doesnt even get that far....

open her up...take out the ram chips (mpc has 2mb internal ram) and disconnect periphary cables such as hard disk, effect card, cd rom and then boot (maybe take a photo beforehand so you know which was cables go) - if still white screen of death...youre gonna have to try to flash the os....maybe even try os 1.6 or something...incase 1.71 is corrupted....
can you try flash the os using usb stick or akasys or internal cd rom?

i had the screen of death before on my vp9000...reflashing the os fixed it

good luck mate

Thanx G...Ive not got the white screen of death(yet)its the first screen with akai pro mpc4000 ver1.6 ect and then usually you get a click and it starts loading/looking and has a abort sing lower left.I dont get the click.Tried reflashing.and messing around inside.No secret button presses??ectect
By dryad-66 Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:29 pm
MPCdawk wrote:How long since the battery was changed?

Maybe take out the battery for 60 sec then put it back in and try powering it up. I'm just saying this because I have had failures with other gear (not the 4k) where they had a crash and rebooting did nothing until I had taken out the battery for a bit to "clear" the corrupt instructions in the battery backed RAM of the CPU (not the same as the sample RAM which clears on power down). Of course I lost all my patches/sounds whatever.

Do this at your risk though, because I don't know what it will do to the 4k. Logic suggests that the machine must be able to deal with a battery that goes flat and then be usable again with a new battery, but I don't know for sure. You will lose your time and date settings for sure and other global settings.

Jeez I hope you get this fixed, I'm terrified of this happening to my 4k! :(

Thanx MPCdawk,i think you had the key idea on taking the battery out AND LEAVING IT OUT FOR A WHILE because i tried it for a short time and no joy then left it out for like 2 hours came home and BLAM she turned right on........Must have taken time to reset its self/default memory.Now ive got OS1.71 plus the outputboard installed (cheers Ben-nyarlathotep)and shes firing up everytime.This is the best mashine around so........... :smoker: appreciate the support guys :mrgreen:
By nyarlathotep Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:25 am
dryad-66 wrote:.Now ive got OS1.71 plus the outputboard installed (cheers Ben-nyarlathotep)and shes firing up everytime.This is the best mashine around so........... :smoker: appreciate the support guys :mrgreen:

Hey, glad someone can get some use of it. I always use the adat board so the analogue board wasn't seeing much service.

As I remember you were saying your mpc4k wouldn't load or respond to the OS 1.71. Has taking the battery out for a prolonged period fixed both issues (OS and system clock settings)? Perhaps you might want to track down a new battery.

Interesting to know, could save some of us from taking our machines to bits if faced with a similar case. We need a TRY THIS FIRST! thread :idea: