Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By MPC-Tutor Wed May 15, 2013 7:45 pm
dustymaestro wrote:If they come on this side, Ill let you guys know. We will order a few. They have already emailed me back.

I could have sworn I saw a topic regarding you getting a batch of 20 of these for around $50?

I spoke to Mike at MPC Stuff, he's hopefully picking some up as well. Perhaps we should do a split, I can sort out anyone in the UK for example as I can get Mike to pop a bunch of them in the next shipment he sends out to me, you could sort something with the US guys.
By feline1 Wed May 15, 2013 8:22 pm
I certainly could do with one down here in Brighton!

Is it an easy part to fit? Or do I need to get down to Maplin and buy a new soldering iron? :p
By atestarr Wed May 15, 2013 9:13 pm
Where did you source them from, and why are they so much? The allied link above has them for 18.50 USD for 1 unit. I haven't checked on minimum order size.
By dustymaestro Wed May 15, 2013 9:23 pm
LN Part Number Model Number Make Avail Condition Qty Price Ext
1 VTC1554994 REC16B25-201C COPAL ELECTRONICS Available New 20 $45.50 $910.00
POTENTIOMETER, ENCODERS, OPTICAL, 25 CYCLES, 2BIT, BRACKET

Subtotal: $910.00

I dont make those prices and Allied does not have them. When you find a deal in stock, let us know. Otherwise our options are slim. Ive also seen them advertised for 167 usd.
By MPC-Tutor Thu May 16, 2013 6:33 am
$45 each? That sounds way too much, I thought I saw them listed on one site for $18.

This weekend I will open up the 4000 and see if a simple cleaning does anything. :)

dustymaestro wrote:LN Part Number Model Number Make Avail Condition Qty Price Ext
1 VTC1554994 REC16B25-201C COPAL ELECTRONICS Available New 20 $45.50 $910.00
POTENTIOMETER, ENCODERS, OPTICAL, 25 CYCLES, 2BIT, BRACKET

Subtotal: $910.00

I dont make those prices and Allied does not have them. When you find a deal in stock, let us know. Otherwise our options are slim. Ive also seen them advertised for 167 usd.
By dustymaestro Thu May 16, 2013 9:33 am
[quote="MPC-Tutor"]$45 each? That sounds way too much, I thought I saw them listed on one site for $18.

This weekend I will open up the 4000 and see if a simple cleaning does anything. :)

I talked to Bruce forat about cleaning them he said that there was some sort of material that gets beat up from abuse. He was telling me that people don't move the cursor over to move larger chunks. :Sigh:
By MPCdawk Thu May 16, 2013 2:20 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:This weekend I will open up the 4000 and see if a simple cleaning does anything. :)

Don't bother, there are no contacts, no moving parts, and the unit is a completely sealed optical unit. If you open it up, it's probably screwed.

Sure there's a rotating disc with a reflective surface that has a small light shone on it, yeah that moves, but there's nothing that moves that affects the reliability of the encoder.

And yeah, $50 for an optical encoder is pretty normal. They are good to 1 million turns as opposed to 50,000 for a mechanical encoder.
By Lampdog Thu May 16, 2013 4:46 pm
Good to know.

Had no clue they were (nor had checked thoroughly) if they were optical.