Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By feline1 Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:54 pm
I have to say, this whole situation just yet again shows Akai Unprofessional's contempt for its customers.

The MPC4000 was their FLAGSHIP product for pro customers, only 10 years ago.
They must be well aware that there are thousands of units out there and the jog wheel is very much prone to failure over this timescale (mine went wonky after only about 4 years, to be honest) -

... why have Akai not maintained stock of this part to support the MPC4000 user base? And don't tell me it "wouldn't be economical" - they have us by the balls, they could charge whatever they wanted to make it profitable.

Hopeless!
By MPC-Tutor Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:57 am
Just to confirm, Misterwhite came round the other day and installed this in my 4000:

http://www.mpcstuff.com/1al4016a504a.html

Works a treat, completely fixed my erratic data wheel.

Installation requires that you must desolder the existing encoder off the existing PCB, so you definitely need to know what you are doing.

We're looking at alternative options to make this more DIY friendly.
By Lampdog Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:18 pm
Sounds good, I really hate that skip value behavior on the jog wheel.
That's my only gripe with my 4k.
By Coz Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:25 pm
I've still got the 'backlash' to come. Hopefully there will be an easy fix by the time I get it.
By MPC-Tutor Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:50 pm
Coz wrote:I've still got the 'backlash' to come. Hopefully there will be an easy fix by the time I get it.

It looks like the PCB the encoder is connected to is pretty superfluous, so we could make up a new logic board connection cable and just solder the pins from the encoder directly to the wires on that new cable.

By ntalec Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:22 pm
Coz wrote:Glad you got it sorted. :)

I think the 4K Jog and Cursor combo is underrated.

Thank you.
I say this every time someone talks about the OG 2k jog.
By Coz Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:35 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:It looks like the PCB the encoder is connected to is pretty superfluous, so we could make up a new logic board connection cable and just solder the pins from the encoder directly to the wires on that new cable.

Sounds like a plan. The more idiot proof, the better it is for me. :mrgreen:

ntalec wrote:I say this every time someone talks about the OG 2k jog.

The 4K would be painful to navigate with anything other than the stock Jog Wheel. There would be too much fumbling around with a separate cursor.
By rogue scrunt Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:39 pm
if you are having trouble with your jog wheel, an easy fix to use a usb QWERTY keyboard. Easy enough to navigate the mpc4000 with the keyboard.
By Coz Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:55 pm
rogue scrunt wrote:if you are having trouble with your jog wheel, an easy fix to use a usb QWERTY keyboard. Easy enough to navigate the mpc4000 with the keyboard.

A wireless one is even better.

I regularly sit back and scroll through long lists of samples in Load with mine. 8)
By Bomber4000 Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:51 pm
What does the usb keyboard control, just the Cursor keys or also the scroll jog wheel ?

I am asking this because i can imagine going up and down would be straight forward with the cursor keys on the keyboard however a lot of values can only be changed on the 4000 by using the jogwheel, the actual cursors around it don't do anything for it.

So hence my question, will the usb keyboard allow you to take control of the jogwheel aswell or just the up,down,right and left cursor keys (that are surrounding the jog wheel) ?

I am having issues with the Jog aswell. Will have to source an encoder and solder it in.
Soldering is no issue for me so it should be an easy fix.