Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Metatron72 Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:56 pm
MaZe wrote:
atestarr wrote:
MaZe, have you considered an apple magic mouse or trackpad? Using automation in latch mode with a track pad on a macbook pro is pretty great.

I haven't but to be honest, I hate mouses (mice?), trackpads, etc. when it comes to being in the flow of making a beat. I spend damn near my whole day using a mouse and a trackpad and a keyboard. When I make music, I want knobs and faders.

I feel you on that, but the Apple track pad is nice to do X/Y mapped automation in something like Ableton, you don't see the ribbon pad like on the Korg padKONTROL or some other units too often and it's functionally the same as that.

There's a cheap app at Mac Store to make mapping the track pad easier. pretty cool stuff. Worth the 2 bucks.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/track-m ... 8180?mt=12

By Coz Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:39 am
tarbaby wrote:^^^^^ Hey Coz, im not trying to highjack the tread but how do you like that akai filter you have on your 4000? Also is the rack you have it mounted with attached to your 4000 somehow?

The MFC42 is a pretty good filter. I used to have it mounted on my 2KXL years ago. If you take the resonance much over half way it starts barking like a dog, but it has quite a wide useable range. The kind of filters I'd like to replace it with cost a fortune, so it's staying put for now.

The rack is just a floor standing unit I took a hacksaw to and butted up against the 4K.
By tarbaby Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:36 pm
Coz wrote:
tarbaby wrote:^^^^^ Hey Coz, im not trying to highjack the tread but how do you like that akai filter you have on your 4000? Also is the rack you have it mounted with attached to your 4000 somehow?

The MFC42 is a pretty good filter. I used to have it mounted on my 2KXL years ago. If you take the resonance much over half way it starts barking like a dog, but it has quite a wide useable range. The kind of filters I'd like to replace it with cost a fortune, so it's staying put for now.

The rack is just a floor standing unit I took a hacksaw to and butted up against the 4K.

ok thanks coz, i remember them from years ago. A dude i know has one for sale & i was just wondering about them vs a sherman filter bank....but maybe ill make another thread.

peace.
By Ian Canefire Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:17 pm
Hi All,
I just got the Behringer BCR2000. I just read the manual and later this evening I will update the firmware. Then I will see about connecting it to the MPC4000 in every manner possible.
The potential that this controller has seems enormous.
Cheers,
Ian
By Metatron72 Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:29 pm
I needed faders when I got my BCF. You won't be disappointed.

The BCR even with just the default mappings is great on VST synths too, Reason and Live have built in support too. And it will open up any other hardware with limited controls and mad toggle workarounds. So you're getting buckets of gravy with your meat Ian.
By Ian Canefire Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:09 pm
Taking a lunch break and wanted to ask a few questions. I am looking forward to the next two days off so that I can get into programming the BCR2000 to MPC4000 via CC#.

The only major limitation that I see so far is that the MPC 4000 doesn't have CC controls for all of its parameters. I have a feeling that I need to learn sysex to get deeper. Tell me if I am wrong.

1) Can't figure out how to change the LFO type from an external source.

2) Even though the CC# on an external device is controlling a parameter on the
MPC4000 the MPC number values do not change in sync with the external device visually. The parameters and the sounds do change but you do not see for example the depth increase or decrease.

3) The BCR2000's learn function doesn't seem to work with the MPC4000. This just means that you have to do your programming the long way. Which really is not too long.

4) Can anyone explain why we have CC over envelope time parameters
(R1, R2, R4) Attack, Decay and Release but not sustain (R3)? Funny enough when you read the manual you see that it only refers to R1 and R4. SO at some later point they included R2 control.

Cheers,
Ian
Last edited by Ian Canefire on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By wavejockey Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:01 am
Ian Canefire wrote:2) Even though the CC# on an external device is controlling a parameter on the
MPC4000 the MPC number values do not change in sync with the external device visually. The parameters and the sounds do change but you do not see for example the depth increase or decrease.

3) The BCR2000's learn function doesn't seem to work with the MPC4000. This just means that you have to do your programming the long way. Which really is not too long.

2// mmm, that makes it difficult to know/find out which cc's are mapped to which control
-since my MIDI controllers don't have a MIDI learn function-
is there a(llready) map/layout ?

3// wasn't there an issue were you had to route the MIDI in to the INT sampler, not the sequencer?
are you monitoring MIDI out? // what comes out ? MIDI cc or MIDI excl. ?

appreciate it,

jay
By tank Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:31 pm
Ian Canefire wrote:2) Even though the CC# on an external device is controlling a parameter on the

Is it possible to update the values displayed in the MPC screen? And if you save the program/project do the parameters edited by the external midi controller get saved?