Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Ian Canefire Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:45 pm
Hi,
trying to get into controlling the MPC4000 with external gear. I have been using the MC909 and the Vsynth and it is hell.
I am trying to put all of this information in a modulation program screen video. I have gotten some things right and others are just hard to figure.

Like I jumped for joy when I realized that you have to route the MIDI IN to the virtual sampler (INT A, B). Not through the sequencer first.

Then I noticed that I am not able to properly control some of the program modulations. So I have a copy of the MPC 4000 midi implementation chart and I am trying various combinations. Hell.

The MC909 receive and transmit data list states that it Transmits Pitch fine and coarse, Filter cutoff and resonance, Amp pan and depth, Pitch Envelope, Filter envelope, Amp envelope, LFO1: wave, rate, pitch depth, filter depth, amp depth, pan depth, portamento, mono/poly, part mute.

1) Long story short....is there a phenomenal controller that is easy to map to the MPC4000?
2) Seems like overkill but wondering if the akai MPk61 type controllers are easy to map to the MPC4000?
3) Is anyone using one of these?
4) Has anyone tried plugging the usb cable from these controllers into the MPC4000's usb ports?

Kinda seems not too wise a purchase since the controllers can cost more than quality gear.

your thoughts and explanations are welcome,

Cheers,
Ian
Last edited by Ian Canefire on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By atestarr Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:17 pm
Check out the Behringer BCR 2000. It has midi learn and I believe it can transmit sysex. I haven't used it yet because I am working on other things, but it seems like a bit of a swiss army knife controller. There are templates out there for a variety of machines, so it might work for more than just the mpc.

The rear USB port on the 4K is for ak.sys only (possibly a computer keyboard) and the front USB is data only. The MPC I believe can only be midi controlled via the older 5 pin DIN cables. But you could also get a midi converter box that plays nice with both midi over usb/iOS/5 pin midi cables. The cash register is going to start ringing on this one.

Are you running out of Q-links to assign parts in the mod matrix?
By Clint Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:41 pm
Although I don't own one, my understanding is the Behringer joints are a good affordable option for a MIDI/SYSEX control. They always sell when available used on eBay or elsewhere. The available colours also match the MPC4000, blue/black or also white for the BCF. A lot of instrument templates online too. Nice LED's surrounding the knobs a la MPC Ren...

"Nearly any MIDI data can be be learned or manually input and assigned to any control: program changes, control changes, MIDI notes, pitch bend, MIDI Machine Control, NRPNs, SysEx strings and so on. And if you think creatively, you should be able to assimilate the control concept both in the studio and when playing live. "

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan05/a ... ollers.htm

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=162288
By Metatron72 Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:41 pm
I do own a BCF2000, I've never mapped the 4k to it, but it absolutely can do it. As mentioned SysEx compliance is there. It works equally well over USB or in this case standard MIDI cables, standard two prong plug so it's not like it's USB bus powered and having to navigate around that.

The knobs are like soft Sharpie caps (It's Behringer after all), the faders a little noisy and certainly a world away from Penny & Giles faders, but for $200USD I don't think you'd be disappointed at all.

I see them for $150 a lot actually and there are white colored models around too. OUt the box it's built in presets are supported in Reason if you ever use that, and it gives you full control of everything. Change tracks, arm, solo, mute, bar locators, transport, everything.

For other software it's a Mackie MC emulation mode and there's a HUI one too.
I have mine for 7 years and never had any issue except that editor being very hit and miss in the XP days, although I believe it has been updated at some point. The unit can be programmed more old school on the face with the minimal LCD as well.

So yeah it's plastic, it's Behringer, but beyond that it's astronomically cheaper then the units it's taking it's cues from. Motorized faders for $150-$200 you can't lose.
By MaZe Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:46 pm
Metatron72 wrote:I do own a BCF2000, I've never mapped the 4k to it, but it absolutely can do it. As mentioned SysEx compliance is there. It works equally well over USB or in this case standard MIDI cables, standard two prong plug so it's not like it's USB bus powered and having to navigate around that.

The knobs are like soft Sharpie caps (It's Behringer after all), the faders a little noisy and certainly a world away from Penny & Giles faders, but for $200USD I don't think you'd be disappointed at all.

I see them for $150 a lot actually and there are white colored models around too. OUt the box it's built in presets are supported in Reason if you ever use that, and it gives you full control of everything. Change tracks, arm, solo, mute, bar locators, transport, everything.

I have mine for 7 years and never had any issue except that editor being very hit and miss in the XP days, although I believe it has been updated at some point. The unit can be programmed more old school on the face with the minimal LCD as well.

So yeah it's plastic, it's Behringer, but beyond that it's astronomically cheaper then the units it's taking it's cues from. Motorized faders for $150-$200 you can't lose.

Would you suggest these as control surfaces for Logic? I HATE using a mouse and I always find myself mixing more on my mackie because of the tactile response.
By Metatron72 Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:52 pm
MaZe wrote:Would you suggest these as control surfaces for Logic? I HATE using a mouse and I always find myself mixing more on my mackie because of the tactile response.

Yeah I definitely would on the strengths I listed above. It has a Logic control mode as well. The LCD is limited but the have a free little widget you can download that simulates the rectangle LCD you would have on the more expensive units the BCF is emulating.

I didn't even set out to buy mine. I pre-paid a Novation keyboard at a GC and they said 2 weeks. I wentt back and they were like oh sorry dude never hit send on the order.

They said sorry anything you want for the pre-pay 20% off or money back. I thought what the hell this thing works with all my software, turned out to be one of the most useful things I ever bought.

It's about the size of an MPD32 if anyone has size as a consideration. Roomy enough to be comfortable but it doesn't eat much desk space.
By atestarr Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:03 pm
MaZe wrote:
Metatron72 wrote:I do own a BCF2000, I've never mapped the 4k to it, but it absolutely can do it. As mentioned SysEx compliance is there. It works equally well over USB or in this case standard MIDI cables, standard two prong plug so it's not like it's USB bus powered and having to navigate around that.

Would you suggest these as control surfaces for Logic? I HATE using a mouse and I always find myself mixing more on my mackie because of the tactile response.

MaZe, have you considered an apple magic mouse or trackpad? Using automation in latch mode with a track pad on a macbook pro is pretty great.
By jimfowler Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:28 pm
"The rear USB port on the 4K is for ak.sys only (possibly a computer keyboard) and the front USB is data only."

not accurate. the front usb can be used for data OR computer keyboard control.

i really like my MPK61. very versatile and while i mainly use it for actual keyboard playing and control of ableton, i would imagine that given it's flexibility it would suit controlling the MPC just fine. i've accidentally mapped it to certain parameters in the MPC and it's worked fine. another really awesome feature is the scalability of the controls. it's also a breeze to edit.
By Coz Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:10 pm
I'd tear my hair out (not that there's much left!) if I had to go back to naming on the machine. I've never been a fan of naming on MPCs, which is probably why I've got so many 'sample01' files. :Sigh:

A mini wireless keyboard is perfect for the job.

By tarbaby Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:57 pm
^^^^^ Hey Coz, im not trying to highjack the tread but how do you like that akai filter you have on your 4000? Also is the rack you have it mounted with attached to your 4000 somehow? thanks.... oh & the m-audio keystation 88 pro has plenty of knobs & sliders...thats one that i use.

thanks
By MaZe Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:31 am
atestarr wrote:
MaZe, have you considered an apple magic mouse or trackpad? Using automation in latch mode with a track pad on a macbook pro is pretty great.

I haven't but to be honest, I hate mouses (mice?), trackpads, etc. when it comes to being in the flow of making a beat. I spend damn near my whole day using a mouse and a trackpad and a keyboard. When I make music, I want knobs and faders.