Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By edals Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:14 pm
Hi everyone.

Is it possible to use Panning and Compressor FX simultaneously for a part on MPC4000?

I've been working on the MPC4000 for a while, but still cannot figure out how to pan mixer pads in a part that is sent to a FX bus. For example, i've got a compressor set up for FX Send A, which is stereo-linked to FX Send B. The output for FX AB is L/R. I go to my drum program and set up the Pan for each pad. Everything's good so far, but when I assign the part to FX Send AB, the panorama settings become ignored and every sample sounds in the middle.
Is there any way to compress the signal from a part and not to lose the stereo settings?
By Itskurisu Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:15 pm
Not too sure if I understand your question, but my assumption would be that your "signal chain" should be set up differently. If you start by doing the compression first and once everything is compressed, then you decide to pan that might solve it? Im not to sure what your asking though so Im probably not much of help but usually in most plug in scenarios what comes first is important.
By Lampdog Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:08 am
I'm not completely understanding wither, but, maybe one of the effects is actually a mono effect. Check that out. Compression is a, what is b? Is it a stereo effect? Are both, stereo effects? As soon as even 1 thing is mono, everything after that is mono (ie, bottleneck)
By dustymaestro Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:14 am
Typically effects are send or insert. A compressor is an insert effect. Compression unless in parallel doesn't usually get panned. I would think you could adjust the compressor settings by using both compressors on a&b. You could split the signal to left and right mono, pan them and just use one send for each side.

I'm just geting back into the 4000 effects. Good question for all of us.
By edals Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:22 am
Thanks for you replies! I apologize if my English is somewhere hard to understand, haven't spoken it for a long while.

I didn't try using compressors both for FX Bus A and B, but I enabled StereoLink for Bus A, so the signal must be routed in stereo, as far as I understand.
I'll try to define different routing settings (don't have my MPC right now with me), but I'm not sure if the operating system will allow me to do this. Otherwise, I'll have to process my sounds with compressor first, and then set up the panorama.
By jmk Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:53 am
Ok, this is a pretty old thread but since here is no enough info I must bump it up... Because I had experienced absolutely same! So let's go from very beginning.

I have two pads with stereosamples assigned to them. First pad panned fully to the left and second pad panned fully to the right. And I'm hear it so. Everything is working as I expecting for now. The unexpected things starts when I'm trying to assign part (which these pads belongs to) to the AB send. On the AB send I have stereo linked compressor (or EQ). AB out is L/R. Direct signal is disabled. Compressor/EQ configured fully to wet signal.

What I expect: one sample sounds on left, second sample sounds on right, both are compressed/EQed.
What I actually get: both samples sounds on center, both compressed/EQed.

So how to properly use stereo linking functionality and same time keep program panning settings?
Or sending whole part to FX overrides some program settings?
By Lampdog Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:30 am
My guess is some effects are mono and some are stereo.
If L and R both route through a mono effect ,100% wet, output will be mono is what I’d think.

Compressor/Limiter is a mono aural effect.
By jmk Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:28 am
Yep, I'm completely agree that stereo signal will be converted to mono if you send part to the single FX processor with mono effect selected.

But (as I thought) stereo linking functionality was made especially to combine two mono effects to one stereo effect.
Even official manual says so:
Or maybe I had misunderstood this explanation? :hmmm:
By Lampdog Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:31 am
I already know what the manual says :lol:
Look at the source, the effect, in the manual effects says it is “monaural”.
So no matter what routing, it’s a mono output when 1 compressor is used.

By jmk Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:08 am
Ok, I looked up for stereo effects in the manual. The REVERB>DRUM BOOTH is one of them as I can see.
Here are configs I tried:
- part sent to AB, stereo linked FX1 and FX2 with that reverb selected, out L/R, 100% wet, no direct signal;
- part sent to AB, FX1 and FX2 with that reverb selected, no stereo link, for both FX: out L/R, 100% wet, no direct signal;
- part sent to AB, FX1 and FX2 with that reverb selected, no stereo link, FX1 out L, FX2 out R, for both FX: 100% wet, no direct signal;
- part sent to A, FX1 with that reverb selected, out L/R, 100% wet, no direct signal.
All configs gave me same mono signal with reverb.

Moreover, I noticed that panning settings (from part/program) ignored even if no effect selected for stereo linked FX1 and FX2 (AB send, out L/R, no direct signal). Switching out to OFF and turning on direct signal brings panning back but that obviously not what I'm looking for :lol:

At current moment for me it looks like that it is impossible to use part/program panning simultaneously with any effects :hmmm:
So is it true or I just have some lack of knowledge regarding to 4k signal routing?
By CharlesRandolph Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:12 pm
The best options is to get the 8 out card. Then patch the 10 outs of the MPC into a mixer that will give you separate eq/compression effects settings. Second options: Patch the 10 out into an audio interface and use your DAW to do the same thing.

If the MPC 4000 had the ability to put separate effect on each pad, without using the send effects, then we wouldn't have this situation. Unfortunately this is what happens because the OS was never finished.
By jmk Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:28 pm
Oh wow... I'm really deep disappointed... How it even can be possible to allow such vital flaw in flagship model?! :shock:
I can't believe that because I get used to 500's workflow (the cheapest MPC). When you need only machine itself for basic functions full usage (sampler/sequencer/effects). With no additional equipment.

Ok, now I need to accept this and decide if I really need the 4k.
Many thanx for your answers!
By NearTao Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:07 pm
Well the 4k absolutely was the flagship at the time... and the way some folks talk it up you might think that it can do everything and slice bread still today. I am absolutely sure that you can get the process down and do what you want, but as with all things MPC... there tends to be a few different way to approach the problem. Have you tried looking at doing multiple passes to get the effect you're looking for instead of doing it in one shot?
By CharlesRandolph Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:37 pm
What he wants to do can easily be done on the MPC 4000. He just needs to learn how to do it. :nod: People tend to forget that the MPC 4000 is made from the audio engineers point of view.
By Lampdog Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:47 pm
NearTao wrote:...Have you tried looking at doing multiple passes to get the effect you're looking for instead of doing it in one shot?