Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Luigi Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:51 am
I have a 750 gb ide harddrive. and I format it into 6, 100gb partitions with fat32 filesystem. but the mpc does only read 2 partions :-(
By Luigi Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:45 pm
dustymaestro wrote:Try formatting one partition on your computer, than install it into the mpc.

Put I want to use multiple partitions?
By Coz Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:48 pm
The 4K can only access 127GB max, or something around that figure. Is that not enough?
By charlieocali Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:45 am
If I recall correctly when partitioning my own drive:

1. Format on your PC first to 127gig partitions (fat32).
2. Reformat each partition on the MPC to make them readable.

I have a 500gig in mine now. So far so good. I have noticed some intermitent buggyness when accessing it, but I believe this is an OS bug, not because of the drive size.
By Lampdog Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:15 am
I can’t watch that “um, um, um”. I turned it off after 2 mins.
By NearTao Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:38 am
FAT-32 can definitely reference more than the 128gb or whatever the manufacturer lists as supported. Often the limits come down to whatever was available at the time, and what they were able to test. There's two ways to think about it... do you want to risk your data on something that might work... or are you of the mindset that it's not like Akai is going to support it anyways so go nuts?

Honestly... as long as you have a good backup strategy for the data you ought to be pretty fine.
By Sound Thief Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:45 pm
NearTao wrote:FAT-32 can definitely reference more than the 128gb or whatever the manufacturer lists as supported. Often the limits come down to whatever was available at the time, and what they were able to test. There's two ways to think about it... do you want to risk your data on something that might work... or are you of the mindset that it's not like Akai is going to support it anyways so go nuts?

Honestly... as long as you have a good backup strategy for the data you ought to be pretty fine.

Agreed.

This 4000 that I am refurbishing, I am sticking to a 120gb drive to be conservative, since I probably won't keep it, ultimately. I posted that video for sake of adding to the discussion as to the possibilities of what the 4000 will recognise.

That said, if I can find a cheap enough 1tb SSD drive, I might get it to see if that result is replicable.