Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By dustymaestro Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:40 am
The last version of Aksys ran with OS 10.5.

It doesn't work on OS 10.7 or newer and doesn't completely run on OS 10.6.

I tried to find third party apps that could run old OS X software on Mac. I found WineBottler instead. It will run Windows apps on Mac without the need for a virtual system. So you don't have to buy Windows, I think WineBottler is free.

I don't have my MPC 4000 at the moment. If anybody can try this out and see if Aksys runs on it, that would be a service for the MPC users.
By JUKE 179r Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:58 pm
There are few options...
- Use Virtualbox on your Mac and install Windows to use the Windows Aksys program.
- Use Bootcamp on your Mac and install Windows on an separate partition and use the Windows Aksys program.
- Use a PC.
- My friends and I have bought older Macs (with Firewire ports) with older OS' to run older apps along with SCSI connection and floppy disks.
- You can also install certain older OS' on your Mac for a dual boot option.
By dustymaestro Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:46 am
That's an alien software program for me. I didn't get it to work. Maybe somebody else can try?
By JUKE 179r Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:02 pm
My Mac is now a one stop shop. :smoker:
On my 2014 MBP 11,3 with Yosemite, I finally added VirtualBox with WinXP Pro 32Bit per Lamp's instructions.
Shit is amazing! Honestly, the WinXP Pro OS loads super fast and with no lag time while in use!!!!
Ak.sys makes it sooooooo easy to edit samples for songs! I should have done this months ago after buying my MPC4000.
Plus you have an option to further edit samples in your favorite editor. So far I've got Audacity for WinXP but got to find an old version of Sound Forge or Recycle. My old bought version of MPCEditor V3 even works in VirtualBox.

Ian's video helped me immensely too...

Here are my pics of the screens for future reference:
By Lampdog Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:32 pm
Aksys was ahead of it's time and awesome as ****.
By MPCWeapon1 Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:34 am
dustymaestro wrote:The last version of Aksys ran with OS 10.5.

It doesn't work on OS 10.7 or newer and doesn't completely run on OS 10.6.

I tried to find third party apps that could run old OS X software on Mac. I found WineBottler instead. It will run Windows apps on Mac without the need for a virtual system. So you don't have to buy Windows, I think WineBottler is free.

I don't have my MPC 4000 at the moment. If anybody can try this out and see if Aksys runs on it, that would be a service for the MPC users.

I went to a used computer stores and brought a old Laptop with Windows XP for less than a hundred dollars. It runs Aksys like a champ. It even runs FL studio like a champ.
By Lampdog Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:34 pm
I am on Win10 these days, I installed both VMWare and Virtual Box.
I installed Win XP SP2 in both and they run AKSYS flawlessly.

Virtual Box is free, win, mac, linux and solaris versions are available.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
By JUKE 179r Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:49 pm
Lampdog wrote:I am on Win10 these days, I installed both VMWare and Virtual Box.
I installed Win XP SP2 in both and they run AKSYS flawlessly.

Virtual Box is free, win, mac, linux and solaris versions are available.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

I forgot to say... Cheers mate! :worthy:
By Lampdog Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:46 pm
It’s funny how there are still people asking about this but don’t even search. This thread
is the answer. So many answers not even searched out, just lazily asking others instead of asking themselves.

I asked someone the other day “Are you too lazy to even answer yourself?
You dgaf so I don’t have to either.
By Fanu Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:09 pm
Lampdog wrote:It’s funny how there are still people asking about this but don’t even search. This thread
is the answer. So many answers not even searched out, just lazily asking others instead of asking themselves.

I asked someone the other day “Are you too lazy to even answer yourself?
You dgaf so I don’t have to either.

Today's world. We have tons of info out there – just look – but peeps are asking the most basic Qs on music forums and groups all the time. A lot of that stuff could be found in manuals just by doing a search but nah. Dudes outsource all the little work that's required. Fück that.
By Lampdog Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:58 am
Something I don’t do often is......

WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree.
By FUBARd Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:26 am
Yo, thanks for tha tip yall!

Got this working on my 2012 Mac Pro running ElCapitan with Paralells as opposed to Virtual Box for hosting XP. Took a minute to set up (had to install drivers like I was a kid again lol) but its running great with both the MPC4K & the Z8!

Anyway AkSys is REALLY Fn cool. Makes setting up your sound sets WAY easier. I LOVE IT!!! :-D
By Lampdog Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:43 pm
AKSys was ahead of it's time. It's a great lil piece of software.
By Fleshhologram Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:58 am
Got virtualbox running xp with sp3 but mpc isn’t showing up in device manager. Latest driver is downloaded. I think this is the last hurdle here. So so so close plz halp.

It shows up in device manger in windows 10.