Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Gigaton Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:53 am
I have been having trouble setting up for running my midi song(or sequence for that matter) data into DP3 correctly. How do I set up the 4k to dump all track data into my soft sequencer on seperate different midi tracks and then play them all back? I actually got my midi note data recorded, however I couldn't get it to play back properly. Set up on this is mad confusing. Anybody know how to quick work of this?
I've got the software side down pat I just need set up help on the MPC.

By earthmorphosis Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:39 am
If your playing back beats from the MPC, then you can sync playback of both sequencers between the two machines (MTC/MClock) , and have other programs (keys) controlled only by DP.... This is my settup for using the 4K controlled by the pads and an external keyboard and sequencing certain programs on the 4K and others on PT while they are both playing back in sync......

Create 8 midi Tracks in DP...on Track 1, assign midi-in to MPC ch. 1 and midi out to MPC ch 1/ Track 2, midi in 2 MPC ch 2 and midi out 2 to MPC ch 2 etc.....After that, assign the program that you want to playback on Track 1 to 'Part 1' in the 4000 and do the same for the other tracks. Thats the basic setup for using an external sequencer. If you have an external keyboard, assign midi in to "___keyboard" ch all. I dont use DP, but it should be similar to my PT setup. Double check all your midi routing in DP...MIDI is a ****.

To sync: make sure DP is sending MIDI clock to the 4K. Then curssor over to 'Sync' on the main page of the 4K. Hit window. and turn midi clock on, set the frame rate to 30, close the window and turn it on. Now your set... [/i]

By polysikhs Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:44 am
earthmorphosis wrote:...MIDI is a ****.

[/i]

8) that´s a nice song title...

By Gigaton Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:49 am
Ok let me re-phrase my question
I'm trying to get my MPC 4000 to output MIDI into digital
performer. DP is set up in multi record mode and is not the issue because
OMS is proper and test studio works as well as triggering from a pad. It's
just in song or seq. mode that no MIDI is spitting. The 4000 won't trigger
DP's wait for note mode. What do I have to do in order to get The 4000 to
spit multi channel MIDI??

By earthmorphosis Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:31 pm
Main Page. Curssor down to (int) Out 1: change it to out A. Then change the Ch. to ANY. That send midi out of the 4000 on all channels.

By Gigaton Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:49 pm
ok I got that thank you, I sent each track to it's own midi track in DP.
Once the midi data is recorded into DP, I want to play the song back from my lap top, how do I set up the MPC just to recieve? I shouldn't need to lock it up with time code, correct? I should be able to hit play on the DP transport and then the MPC plays like a sound module. Do I need to switch all the settings for playback:?:

By earthmorphosis Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:46 pm
MIDI Page. Curssor down to MIDI in 1 and change the destination from sequencer to Sampler A. That should do it.

By Gigaton Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:26 am
^^So I got the sequences firing from DP3 into the MPC, however the MPC is only receiving on MIDI channel 1 rather than OMNI which is what I need it to do to playback all the tracks at once in a sequence. Do you know how to switch this on? I can't find it under global or midi. I can see that I am recieving the midi notes in the midi monitor window. But like I said the machine is only playing back information coming in on midi channel 1.

By earthmorphosis Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:23 am
Not exactly sure how you are assigning the notes (programs?) to tracks in DP. Is it one program for all tracks or different programs on the seperate tracks in DP? If the 4000 is recieving midi on all channels it should be playing back every thing. But remember, midi channels correspond with Parts.

By Gigaton Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:43 am
earthmorphosis wrote:Not exactly sure how you are assigning the notes (programs?) to tracks in DP. Is it one program for all tracks or different programs on the seperate tracks in DP? If the 4000 is recieving midi on all channels it should be playing back every thing. But remember, midi channels correspond with Parts.

Basically I wrote the song(sequences) in the 4k, with the programs set up as you normally would. Here is my set up for running the sequence midi data into DP in real time:
On out section A)I have the drum pads triggering the internal sampler. On out section B) I have the midi data spitting to Midi out A, with each track having it's own unique midi channel.
After the tracks are completed the 4k then I push play and the midi data of each track is spit out and recorded on discreet midi tracks in DP. So the information I am seeing in DP is similar to the Seq. edit mode window in the 4k except that now I can see all 8, 16 ect.... tracks in DP3 edit window. The information is there and ready for quick editing.
The problem is when I playback the information to the MPC, the MPC is only playing information from midi channel 1. However if I go to the Midi Monitor page I am seeing that the MPC is receiving the information on all of the other midi channels as it should. I am just not hearing any other channel actually triggering sounds for some reason. I must be overlooking some small detail which would allow all of the discreet midi tracks in DP3 to trigger the internal sounds in the 4k.

By earthmorphosis Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:42 pm
On the MPC 4000, the Tracks dont have seperate midi channels. Instead, different midi channels are dictated by Parts. So in order to have DP trigger multiple channels in the 4k, you should set Track 1 to Part 1, Track 2 to part 2 etc. on the main page of the 4K. Midi ch 1=Part 1, Midi ch 2= Part 2. If you are using the same program for all the Tracks, just assign the same program to the different Parts. If that does not do the trick, then your problem is probably in the midi setup in DP.

By Gigaton Sun Mar 09, 2003 8:36 pm
"If you are using the same program for all the Tracks, just assign the same program to the different Parts"
Can you explaing how I would do this, I'm a little confused by what you mean. Because I am using 1 program for the whole song. So I need to set that program to receive all of the midi channels right?? How do I do this?

By Gigaton Mon Mar 10, 2003 9:03 pm
Under Multi and midi... I think I got it, i will let you know how it goes. Ima write a tutorial for this process when I'm done and get it working. peace