Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Kalou Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:10 am
Sad to report the screen reverted back to twitchy flickering, or solid blue. I'm running out of ideas for what is up with it, but it's bumming me out because I just want to use the machine!

Sorted the CD Drive. Bought a PLEXTOR PX-800A and works a treat. Pretty quiet, black facade, works as expected.

I bought a new flat ribbon cable to try that. But despite checking the service manual and being super precise with what I was ordering I got the wrong item.

What's needed is a RIBBON CABLE CORD FFC P1.25 L480 14P

I bought this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185449597692 ... 3251813271

Perhaps the 'pitch' is wrong. I'm wondering is this is the width.

If anyone has a thought then please let me know. Regret trying these screen upgrades. The OEM one I had was fine, but wanted to avoid the whine, and improve the legibility.
By Telefunky Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:51 pm
Unfortunately the pitch (distance from line center to line center) is wrong indeed.
You ordered 1mm, but need 1.25 mm, as expressed in the specs...
By Kalou Mon May 15, 2023 10:51 am
Yes indeed. My error.

I've board a new display PCB from mpcstuff which includes the contrast pot. Think I've damaged the circuits now anyway with my sub-par soldering. So fingers crossed this new board and pot will finally solve this and get me back working with the machine instead of nursing it!
By Telefunky Mon May 15, 2023 1:17 pm
It was probably the wrong line pitch of the flat ribbon that shorted some lines and killed the tiny LM358 opamp on the display driving circuit, though there‘s some possibility for a soldering fault, too.
(iirc there‘s a line from the pot to the LM358)
In my case it was manual fiddling with the (worn out) ribbon on the main circuit socket that made the display go dim and never wake up again. Replacing the opamp cured it.
Anyway... best of luck with the replacement :smoker:
By Kalou Fri May 26, 2023 9:18 am
I didn't actually install that ribbon cable as it clearly wasn't the right size. So that's not the route of this new 'low-res' issue.

Installed the replacement display PCB (inc contrast pot) from MPC Stuff (pricey) and that's solved the intermittent / highly sensitive display issues. But the issue with the 'low res' screen is new and now another thing to solve!

Any insights ? :worthy: :lol:

By Telefunky Fri May 26, 2023 3:31 pm
I only looks like „low res“. In fact some pixels are set at the wrong time, so kind of slipping on the current line when it‘s drawn.
Make sure that the main (long) display ribbon is placed correctly.
It doesn‘t have a tight horizontal limit at the edges, or the tip of the ribbon may not be deep enough in the connector.
(there are 2 clock lines on that ribbon and since you didn‘t have the effect previously it‘s either the ribbon misplaced or something on the display driving circuit (on the back of the LCD) is wrong. Which is rather unlikely.
Inspect the ribbon’s connection end (at the main cuircuit board side) with a good magnifier/light. The lines are made from conductive ink and are not very robust.

best if luck, Tom
By Kalou Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:38 pm
finally got this guy back up and running!

new display board installed. might have just been the contrast knob but was better value to just by a replacement, and that way if it was something else it would sort that too.

then the ribbon cable was spent after all the putting in and out. took an age to source the right size, and then to get it delivered (thought this repair job was cursed) but finally got it and it works great.

love the 4k. like many of us over the years i've had a bunch of mpc's but 4k has long been a fave along with the 3k. i'll keep this guy around! fan is quiet now, cd drive working, and it's such a luxurious mpc to work on. i do think it has a sound, it's BIG and clean. it's got it's own punch, not gritty, but that early 2000's knock.

big shout to those that helped and suggested stuff, especially tom (telefunky). kept me believing! :worthy:

p.s. if anyone needs a replacement flat ribbon cable for the display you can get them here. it's shorter than the original but does the job. really hard to source this exact size and number of pins.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360474364211
By Telefunky Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:46 pm
Great you got it working again :smoker:
The 4K has a very special design, it was worth the effort (and patience) to bring it back to production life 8)
By MaddKidd1970 Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:54 pm
Kalou wrote:finally got this guy back up and running!

new display board installed. might have just been the contrast knob but was better value to just by a replacement, and that way if it was something else it would sort that too.

then the ribbon cable was spent after all the putting in and out. took an age to source the right size, and then to get it delivered (thought this repair job was cursed) but finally got it and it works great.

love the 4k. like many of us over the years i've had a bunch of mpc's but 4k has long been a fave along with the 3k. i'll keep this guy around! fan is quiet now, cd drive working, and it's such a luxurious mpc to work on. i do think it has a sound, it's BIG and clean. it's got it's own punch, not gritty, but that early 2000's knock.

big shout to those that helped and suggested stuff, especially tom (telefunky). kept me believing! :worthy:

p.s. if anyone needs a replacement flat ribbon cable for the display you can get them here. it's shorter than the original but does the job. really hard to source this exact size and number of pins.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360474364211

Thank you for posting this link. I have looked several times for a replacement ribbon and could not find the correct length. My screen works but has vertical lines throughout so some things are hard to see. Hopefully this will correct the problem.
By Sense-A Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:52 am
Kalou wrote:ok, so finally got around to trying to solve this…

unsoldered the contrast knob from the display board and then re soldered. tricky cos it’s a tight space and i’m not that good a solderer - but got it done!

put everything back together and screen is working properly. nice to have this silent new led screen too.

thanks for all the suggestions :worthy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLTl3DN2hgA

Glad i was able to help! I have repaired TWO MPC-4000's that had screen issues due to the contrast knob. It is the weakest, most vulnerable part of this model of Akai MPC. It is a poor design. I think the plastic contrast knob does not actually come off the potentiometer. Mine broke off completely while trying to remove it.

Please share a source for the potentiometer assuming you purchased it from somewhere other than MPC Stuff. Or the specs. I read somewhere here that it is a 10K linear potentiometer with a B slope, but have not confirmed.

The PCB board to which the contrast knob mounts to does not always align and mount sufficiently to the housing. This puts even more stress on the pcb board as you try to align it with the mounts. The Contrast knob puts downward pressure on the pcb board while the housing puts a twisting pressure on the board due to the cable wrapping around it. Again, poor design by Akai cramming it all in the housing and leaving it vulnerable.

Both the mpc's i purchased for repair did not necessarily have bad potentionmeters as contrast knobs, but the PCB board to which it was mounted to was cracked or else the two ground points of the potentionmeter were pulling off the pcb and making intermittent contact. This is why if you touched the contrast knob just right, the display would come back to life.

Hopefully, this advice helps many others repair their MPC 4000's and keep them alive.