Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By CharlesRandolph Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:52 am
richie wrote:
CharlesRandolph wrote:The SSD helps with heat, reliability, compatibility, space, and power consumption. Other than that the speeds are determined by the IDE or SCSI bus speeds. We never actually benefit from the max SSD read and write time.

The CF or SD card is the same thing, but the benefits are portability, back up, and sound importing and exporting. They are really just a band-aid fix to get away from SCSI Zip Disk, IDE Hard Drives, and CD ROM.

That is exactly the point I am sort of making here. Since our bottleneck is the bus, I am trying to find actual justification of purchasing an SSD over getting a fast SD card. The CF to IDE adapters we're using are just IDE pass through to the IDE bus and as far as I am aware, most decent SD cards out there are more than fast enough to fill up an IDE bus.

I have the SSD mod just to get rid of spinning parts and heat and to store drums or import/export/sounds and backup projects via AK-Sys. A CF and SD card is fast enough and convenient as long as they are hot swappable.

But when it comes down to speed......it's not noticeable to tell. Also we only have 512 mb of ram so how much do we really need to hold. :lol: :lol: On my other 4000, I just removed the HD all together and I use a 32 gig mini usb keys.